Bought a very nice Winchester Model 12 today. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2019, 10:33 PM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
121
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought a very nice Winchester Model 12 today.



Log in to see fewer ads
It is a 12 ga., about 90%, made in 1937, very little used and well stored. It came with a canvas carry case including a period three piece wood cleaning kit and a magazine dowel to limit it to two shells. A "grampy's" gun that the kids sold after he passed. I like Model 12s, I have my Dad's 16 ga. that was made around the same time, he got it when he turned 16. They don't make them like that anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Jerryrig's Avatar
Jerryrig
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Location: 
SE Fla.
Posts: 
154
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
12

I have my dads model 12, 12 ga. also. I refinished the stock and had it re blued. It use to put rabbet on the table. Mom used to say chew carefully there is shot in there.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2019, 04:16 AM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
121
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryrig View Post
I have my dads model 12, 12 ga. also. I refinished the stock and had it re blued. It use to put rabbet on the table. Mom used to say chew carefully there is shot in there.
Great memories there!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
205
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester Model 12

Sounds like you wound up with a nice Model 12! I like these guns a lot! I have owned several, ranging from an old cylinder bored guard gun that was great at skeet to an unfired Super Field Grade. I bought one several years ago that is in 20 gauge and had been rebuilt as a skeet gun. It has exceptional wood and an aftermarket Simmons rib on a 26" bbl. This one I will probably keep! As I get older, I find that felt recoil bothers me more and more so the reduced "kick" from a 20 gauge is more to my liking.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2019, 12:51 PM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
121
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51guy View Post
Sounds like you wound up with a nice Model 12! I like these guns a lot! I have owned several, ranging from an old cylinder bored guard gun that was great at skeet to an unfired Super Field Grade. I bought one several years ago that is in 20 gauge and had been rebuilt as a skeet gun. It has exceptional wood and an aftermarket Simmons rib on a 26" bbl. This one I will probably keep! As I get older, I find that felt recoil bothers me more and more so the reduced "kick" from a 20 gauge is more to my liking.
I have an early 20 gauge, a Model 1912 with the 25" barrel, nothing special about it though. Sounds like yours is quite nice!

I have some RST ammo for early Damascus shotguns, it should feel mild in my new gun.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Rider357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2014
Location: 
vermont
Posts: 
510
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of the finest firearms ever produced without a doubt. The model 12 and model 70 almost sent them into bankruptcy due to the hand work and materials involved. The days of production guns of that quality are gone forever.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2019, 01:41 AM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
121
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider357 View Post
One of the finest firearms ever produced without a doubt. The model 12 and model 70 almost sent them into bankruptcy due to the hand work and materials involved. The days of production guns of that quality are gone forever.
I regret selling the only Model 70 I ever had, I'd like to find a pre-64 some day but they are rare in local shops.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2019, 07:06 PM
huntschool's Avatar
huntschool

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Southern-most Illinois
Posts: 
596
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider357 View Post
One of the finest firearms ever produced without a doubt. The model 12 and model 70 almost sent them into bankruptcy due to the hand work and materials involved. The days of production guns of that quality are gone forever.
Rider357:

You left out the Super X I. The guys I knew at Winchester said they should have put a $100.00 dollar bill in the box with each gun cause that is at lest what they lost on each gun produced...Ö and that was then...... LOL
__________________
Bruce A. Hering
Southeastern Illinois College (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 AM
1911luvr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2014
Posts: 
210
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
Rider357:



You left out the Super X I. The guys I knew at Winchester said they should have put a $100.00 dollar bill in the box with each gun cause that is at lest what they lost on each gun produced...Ö and that was then...... LOL


I almost bought a Super X trap gun a few years ago for $300, but didnít know much about them at the time. I already have a Winchester Pigeon Grade O/U 30Ē for trap and donít even shoot that except for dove hunting twice a year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winchester model 40 open rear sight milgunsguy Winchester 1 04-03-2018 10:33 PM
Winchester model 62 with odd serial number Wschock Winchester 14 12-17-2017 11:18 AM
Winchester Model 62 Smooth Bore Jolly Bill Winchester 8 09-02-2017 08:44 PM
Winchester Dates Of Manufacture TEDDY BEAR RAT Winchester 52 20 04-27-2017 05:00 PM
Winchester 52 Pre A early model Topstrap44 Winchester 52 16 11-07-2016 10:32 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x