Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:07 PM
puma guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester 490 Recall Question

I bought a Win 490 .22 semi-auto and find that it was the subject of a recall. (My rifle doesn't have the asterisk after the S/N indicating repair.) I called Winchester who referred me to Nu-line Firearms so I called them. Unfortunately they can no longer perform the recall repair due to no parts available. Through some research I found it involved replacing the firing pins as part of the repair but no other parts were mentioned. Does anyone know details on what was repaired/replaced in the recall? I found new firing pins available from a couple of sources (not Numrich), but before I order one I'd like to know if anything else is needed to repair the rifle, springs, extractor, pins, etc. Thanks for any help or referral to a gunsmith that may be able to fix the problem. I apologize if this has been covered already, but I couldn't find it.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Totally from very old memories here but I think a few rifles slam-fired or doubled way back when. Something about the firing pin sticking when extremely dirty.

I googled "Win 490 recall" and didn't find exactly which parts were changed, even when the experts were asked that specific question. The recall was a long time ago, the guns are 40 years old.

I have one I bought new in '79 and It's always been trouble free.

Even though they were the top model in the '70s (above the 190 and 290) and were made in relatively small quantities they don't seem to have much collector interest.

Mine is one of the most accurate stock .22s I've ever fired (but I've never fired any high-end imports either) and I'll keep it forever.
Never had the recall done but I don't let my guns get very dirty.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:01 PM
puma guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
Totally from very old memories here but I think a few rifles slam-fired or doubled way back when. Something about the firing pin sticking when extremely dirty.

I googled "Win 490 recall" and didn't find exactly which parts were changed, even when the experts were asked that specific question. The recall was a long time ago, the guns are 40 years old.

I have one I bought new in '79 and It's always been trouble free.

Even though they were the top model in the '70s (above the 190 and 290) and were made in relatively small quantities they don't seem to have much collector interest.

Mine is one of the most accurate stock .22s I've ever fired (but I've never fired any high-end imports either) and I'll keep it forever.
Never had the recall done but I don't let my guns get very dirty.
Thanks, that's what I have found. I know there were't many manufactured (made in Canada) and one of the replaced parts was the firing pin and they need to be cleaned often. I was going to take it out today but it's raining. My rifle is in very good condition and doesn't look dirty. I'll keep looking for info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018, 08:22 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have two of them and they are beautiful, well made rifles.
Both of mine have the asterisk so they went through the recall.
Unfortunately I have no idea what that consisted of.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:08 PM
puma guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Win 490 update - range report

I could never find any real information regarding which part/parts were involved in the recall on these rifles other than the firing pin. I did find a source in Canada that had a firing pin, but I didn't buy it since I don't know if that is the fix for it. I decided to just shoot it with the knowledge it may or may not slam fire and be extra careful. I put about 40 rounds through it today with no problems. I had another .22 (AR-7) I'd just picked I wanted to shoot also. Range was only 50 feet and with my poor eyesight and double vision I had a decent group with the 490 about 2-2 inches. I have to drop the sight picture against the white of the target and sort of hold it while moving up to the bullseye and hope the sight picture didn't move too much. I do better with peep sights and obviously a scope. I may look at peep sight options for the rifle. I shot a couple of strings rapid fire to see it the gun would malfunction, but it didn't. I enjoyed shooting it, but I can't let anyone else shoot it. I have another 490 that was repaired and has the asterisk after the S/N, so I can let them use it.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I knew two people who had that rifle when it originally came out, and they both worked very poorly. They didn't work any better after the recall than before they sent them in. Good looking rifle, but evidently some engineering problems. I even remember reading negative reports about them in Gun Digest back in the day. I guess that was before gun writers only published positive press.

If I had one that worked, I'd leave it alone.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 PM
puma guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
I knew two people who had that rifle when it originally came out, and they both worked very poorly. They didn't work any better after the recall than before they sent them in. Good looking rifle, but evidently some engineering problems. I even remember reading negative reports about them in Gun Digest back in the day. I guess that was before gun writers only published positive press.

If I had one that worked, I'd leave it alone.
I hear you. I've decided to let it be and just shoot it myself and keep on shooting it unless it has some malfunction that would be a serious safety threat to me or others.