Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Zzyzx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M&P 22 Compact - casings consistently back at me

Iím a very new shooter, and picked up a brand new M&P 22 Compact as a starting gun to learn the ropes. Iíve now had it to the range three times and fired about 600 rounds total through it - a mix of CCI and Winchester ammo.

I love the pistol overall - in the 600 shots Iíve had two misfires - both in the Winchester ammo. But the pistol has one habit so annoying that Iím considering giving up on it after only these three trips. It loves to launch the spent casings right back at my face. Seems like about a third of casings go right, like they should. A third Ďlobí back toward me - bouncing off my head, shoulder, or if Iím really lucky going right down the back of my shirt. And the last third fire right back at my face, mostly plunking off my shooting glasses.

It doesnít seem to be an ammo thing, and Iím doubtful that itís a limp-wrist problem, although I havenít specifically focused on gripping tighter - itís a darn 22, so there isnít really a ton of kick to worry about...

Given the gun is brand new, could it be defective? Or am I defective?

Just looking for advice - after about 175 rounds this afternoon I had one casing bounce off my glasses, and the very next casing go over my head and down the back of my shirt, leaving a really nice burn mark on my back. Itís enough to make me not so thrilled with the hobby.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 PM
613jmm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Limp wristing has nothing to do with gripping the gun tighter. It has to do with locking your wrists..

Your problem could be ammo related, limp wristing, or it could be an ejector or extractor problem.

I would try better quality, more consistent and stronger ammo if you are using bulk ammo, concentrate on locking your wrists, it doesn't matter the caliber, and let other people shoot the gun to see if they have the same problem you are experiencing.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:52 AM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a last resort, if an ammo change doesn't fix your problem, you might try re-profiling the leading edge of the ejector. It's likely a replaceable part anyway. Just try shifting the point of contact a little....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Cowtipper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have always felt trying to have one or two others shoot the gun is the best way to assess if it is you or the gun like 613jmm suggested. If the other shooter(s) don't experience the issue then it is time to re-focus on how you are gripping the gun. About all I could think to say, hope it helps. Just bought one myself and I remembered your post and watched the ejections in particular for 20 rounds versus the target. Pretty consistent and not back at me so I am happy with that.

Last edited by Cowtipper; 12-07-2017 at 08:01 PM.