Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:07 AM
slickracer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BL-22 higher front sight

I have an BL-22 that my Dad bought me new in 1982. My problem is it shoots 4-5 inches high at 25 yards with he rear sight bottomed out. I want to install a higher front sight- does the rifle has a standard dovetail? Lookiing for any suggestions anyone may have as I would like to stick with irons on this rifle.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I had a great post on this topic; but the silly Photobucket issue with now charging people for images, won't allow me to post the old posts with images.

If I remember correctly, I used a williams rear aperture sight (maybe model FP-AG/TK), along with a Lyman Globe front sight...I believe model 17 with about a .584 or so height. The Lyman also comes in different heights, and comes with different front inserts.

I like the superiority of Aperture sights, especially with eyes of a Middle-aged guy....they are far easier to see than the browning stock sights. The Williams rear, along with the Lyman front sight makes 50 yard shot or longer much easier.

If you simply want to just replace the front, you may be able to simply find a generic front sight that is taller than what you have. I believe the front sight is a regular 3/8" dovetail, but i'm not 100% sure.

Here is the Brownells link:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...ing__BL%252022

Yes, I was correct about a 3/8" dovetail, here is the quote:

This sight is about .425" high, including the dovetail, and about .395" wide across the base. It fits the standard 3/8" dovetail.

There are formulas for calculating just how high of a sight you will need....I believe brownells has a simple formula....do a search. Always order a sight that is slightly too tall.......this will allow you to file the top down if necessary, followed by a cold blue formula.

To remove the front sight, I would spray Kroil or some other penetrating oil unto the front sight, let it soak for a few hours or overnight, than support the rifle barrel on it's side with a wood block, under the front sight...you want the barrel to be supported so that the front sight gets the impact, not the barrel. I find it best to get some scrap wood, and grind out a half rounded channel to sit under the barrel, thus providing support. Use a Bronze or Delrin plastic dowel, and place it against the front sight, lightly tap (I believe from left side of the barrel, to the right side), and push the sight outta the dovetail....you may have to end up hitting it with a good amount of force.

To install the front sight, put the sight on the right side, and drive it left.

Note: A lot of new sights are made purposefully oversize in the dovetail, so you may have to custom file the dovetail to match...take your time. Any questions, contact me.

good luck
Old 08-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Racer88
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do a search here in this section of RFC for "Skinner Sights." Unfortunately, a lot of the pictures are gone, thanks to Photobucket. But, lots of folks here are fans... myself included.

You can also do a google search for "Skinner Sights BL-22 review." Some dentist dude did a nice review. Good pics, too!