Semi-auto ban in Illinois? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Jasper21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Have you seen the new round in the sniper rifles? Its a California legal .510 DTC.

California Legal .510 DTC
Old 02-08-2006, 11:55 AM
jamess67
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to jamess67 Send a message via Yahoo to jamess67
Id like a list of all who vote for this bill. That way Ill know who NEVER to vote for again.
BTW how many bad guys follow the gun laws anyway??? Would be like outlawing cigarettes.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:18 PM
LongRod
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper21
Have you seen the new round in the sniper rifles? Its a California legal .510 DTC.

California Legal .510 DTC
Very strange. Yes it seems to be California legal but since it's over .50 cal (it's actually a .51 cal) it may well be federally illegal. I believe that anything larger than .50 cal. is registered and taxed like an NFA weapon. This is why we can no longer freely buy cheap surplus 20mm anti-tank rifles like we could before 1968.
I think the solution for California in this regard would be to neck down a .50 cal case to .49 cal. instead of necking it up to .51 cal.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Jasper21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Longrod - I agree with that approach. So does Barret apparently:

http://www.thegunsource.com/shopping...dproduct=56184

its a .50 BMG case necked down to a .416. Apperently it shoots a lot flatetr and has alonger range. Kinda like a .17HM2 compared to a .22LR, only much bigegr.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:47 PM
OregonForester
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Left creep" is alive and well all over this contry, unfortunately.
We have our share of it, even here in Oregon.
It's easy to say, but hard to do...but we must stay alert to this kind of attack upon our rights, and not let our elected oficials ever pass "feel good" laws.
On Monday, a 70 year old man was attacked in Portland by a 16 year old kid that used a "stun gun"....now there is a great cry and hew to "ban" stun guns...even though there is no record of it ever happening before!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:46 PM
waksabi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
so if it passes they will come and take our semi auto's away ? or just not sell any new ones ?

also i always wondered what happens if your foid card expires ? they cant take the guns away can they ?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:32 PM
kuabarra

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WTH are they thinking! Outlawing semi autos isn't gonna stop people who plan to use them violently from getting them! They already plan on breaking a law, whats to stop them from illegaly owning a gun! We have to stop this, I don't live in illinoise, but i know it will spread eventually.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Jasper21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
kuabarra -

you made your first mistake when dealing with Liberals. You used reason.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:40 PM
jrobb45
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First of all , all Illinois residents should contact their reps. and tell them this bill, if it ever gets to a vote, should be soundly defeated. If you read the amendments to the bill, they essentially say EXISTING owners are exempt, but it would apply to any new owners, IF it were to pass. Under the bill, existing owners could only transfer the weapons to an heir, an out of state owner or a FFL. This bill needs to be defeated, by a large margin, to let the Chicago politicians know they don't run the state.

jrobb
Old 02-08-2006, 10:14 PM
LongRod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuabarra
WTH are they thinking! Outlawing semi autos isn't gonna stop people who plan to use them violently from getting them! They already plan on breaking a law, whats to stop them from illegaly owning a gun! We have to stop this, I don't live in illinoise, but i know it will spread eventually.
Your basic rights are NOT protected by the US Constitution except in very limited circumstances under the 14th amendment unless you are in the "corporate" U.S. (e.g. the District of Columbia, federal territories and federal enclaves within the Union states); however in such areas Congress still has plenary power to grant or deny most basic rights. Your rights are only protected under your State Constitution. Illinois happens to be one of several states (e.g. New Jersey, Maryland, California etc.) that has NO absolute right to keep and bear arms as part of its state constitution. In states such as these the legislature can pass ANY kind of gun control law it cares to and there is nothing in the state constitution to stop them. We still have free states and "slave" states and Illinois is one of the few slave states. If you hear of such a law being passed in say Vermont, THEN it will be time to really WORRY.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 PM
J57ltr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRod
Very strange. Yes it seems to be California legal but since it's over .50 cal (it's actually a .51 cal) it may well be federally illegal. I believe that anything larger than .50 cal. is registered and taxed like an NFA weapon. This is why we can no longer freely buy cheap surplus 20mm anti-tank rifles like we could before 1968.
I think the solution for California in this regard would be to neck down a .50 cal case to .49 cal. instead of necking it up to .51 cal.
What makes it federally illeagel? There are at least 2 people that I know that shoot the .50 BMG on the 1000 yard range in Houston, and I have never seen "all NFA rules apply" next to an add for a .50.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2006, 11:57 PM
chips1443

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
guys, there was a thread on ar15.com concerning this very thing nort too long ago... if i'm not mistaken, the bill was expanded(or a new one put in it's place - i'm not sure how it works). the new bill was to ban all privately owned firearms in illinois.

let me go back and see if i can find the thread. if so, i'll post the link here...
Old 02-09-2006, 01:04 AM
docmike
Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will firmly support these new laws banning our guns that the Constitution guarantees us to own as soon as (insert sarcasm here) the Government can explain to me what a huge success prohibition was and how drug use is almost non-existent in this country since we all know that drugs are illegal.

Doc
A concerned Illinois resident.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
LongRod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by J57ltr
What makes it federally illeagel? There are at least 2 people that I know that shoot the .50 BMG on the 1000 yard range in Houston, and I have never seen "all NFA rules apply" next to an add for a .50.

Jeff
The .50 cal BMG is only a .50 cal round. This is currently legal everywhere. Several states (i.e. California) wish to bann it and there is some movemnet to bann .50 cal. arms in Congress.
NFA rules currently apply to weapons having a bore LARGER than .50 cal. Most shotguns and black powder arms are exceptions and may still have bores larger than .50 cal.
If you have friends with 14.5mm or 20mm (or larger) long range rifles, the NFA rules DO currently apply and if they haven't paid their federal excise tax they could be in for a lot of trouble.