Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:39 PM
jdm2691
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
39A Cycling Issue - Gizzy?

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered and I have missed it. I have a '57 Mountie and recently replaced the extractor and cartridge guide spring. When I cycle the lever to chamber a new round I have to double clutch the lever because the round jams against the top of the receiver. If I then back off the lever just a bit and allow the nose of the round to drop I can continue pulling the lever back and the round will chamber. This always happens on the first round out of the mag tube and then sporadically after that. With the bolt beginning to retract I can see the carrier rise, but the nose of the round is above the carrier bed rather then resting evenly. This causes the round to jam against the top of the receiver. Any thoughts?

Last edited by jdm2691; 01-29-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: should be in lever action forum.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 AM
22banger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wrong thread JDM

You need to repost this question in the lever gun thread, this is the bolt action thread. Gizzy'll get you right.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:18 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
It's your cartridge guide. That screw, in the top of the receiver, is either loose or the spring needs to be slightly bent out.

Simple fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 05:26 AM
jdm2691

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, I thought that was the issue too which is why I replaced the spring. The screw is tight and the curvature looks right - just enough to guide the round in without blocking the extraction of the spent round. I could tinker with it some more, I was just wondering if there were any other possibilities.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2691 View Post
Thanks, I thought that was the issue too which is why I replaced the spring. The screw is tight and the curvature looks right - just enough to guide the round in without blocking the extraction of the spent round. I could tinker with it some more, I was just wondering if there were any other possibilities.
Can you take a picture of it with the action open so I/we can see the position of the cartridge guide? That is what I would think it is also, but it might be bent just a tad up too high.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:01 PM
jdm2691

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Gizzy - I'll get some pictures this weekend although I think, even though the spring is new, I'll swap it out with the spring from my other 39A first and see if that makes the difference. Maybe I was over thinking and assuming it might be the carrier since the spring is new. I'll post again either way.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2691 View Post
Thanks, Gizzy - I'll get some pictures this weekend although I think, even though the spring is new, I'll swap it out with the spring from my other 39A first and see if that makes the difference. Maybe I was over thinking and assuming it might be the carrier since the spring is new. I'll post again either way.
If the carrier is worn, it would usually cause the bullet to jam into the back of the barrel just below the chamber.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:45 PM
jdm2691

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I swapped out the cartridge guide spring and continue to have issues. I've attached a couple of photos of a snap cap hung up against the top of the receiver. From this position, if I back of the lever just a bit, the round falls back onto the carrier and chambers normally. Notice in the photos how the round has risen off the carrier and appears to have moved to the left before jamming into the top of the receiver.

I do want to note that I have confirmed that the serial numbers on the bolt, tang, and receiver match. However, when I broke the gun down for its first cleaning I noticed the takedown screw was extremely tight - so much so that I had the use a pair of pliers on a fifty-cent piece to loosen it. I haven't tightened it that much since I have owned the rifle and it functioned fine until the extractor broke recently and I replaced it. The two halves come apart very easily - loosen the screw with hammer in safety, jiggle the lever a bit and it comes apart.

When I look at the photos I realize that maybe testing this with snap caps isn't the best idea as the nose is not round and may not slide off the spring smoothly, but it looks from the photos like the round has come off the carrier prior to making it to the chamber. Frustrating, and feel like I am missing something obvious but just don't see it..

Last edited by jdm2691; 05-12-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:15 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
You said you replaced the extractor recently? Did this all start after that? Maybe the rim of the shell is not slipping up behind the extractor smooth enough. Might be a tad tight? Just a though. Also, use live rounds to cycle. I don't trust that plastic snap can to act like it should in a lever gun. Not the proper weight of the bullet up front, and not as slick as real brass cases.

Last edited by Gizzy; 02-10-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 PM
3joe21

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
For additional safety, it's easier to remove the firing pin when cycling live ammo than to explain to the wife why there's a hole in the wall.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:29 PM
jdm2691

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your help, Gizzy. I'm going to tinker a bit more and then it's off to the gunsmith. I suspect there may be more than one issue and after all, it's 60 years old. My favorite gun though so I will post the resolution at some point. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
You don't happen to live in Ohio do you?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:47 PM
jdm2691

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't, North Carolina.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:22 PM
jdm2691

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I finally gave up and sent the rifle to a gunsmith. He polished the chamber and stoned the new extractor I had installed previously for a better fit. I have read that new extractors on older models may need fitting by a gunsmith which was true in my case. Problem solved.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:07 AM
Cthomas2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Want to agree with who ever mentioned hammer removal.
It's so easy to pop the things open to access and remove the hammer that testing action with live rounds and a hammer is just stupid.

For those who use trigger locks instead of safes, hammer removal not a bad idea during storage...