Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bringing a 22LR VBZ down to size

I don't understand why Ruger would choose 24 inches for the 22 LR VBZ but put a more practical 20 inch tube on the 17 mach 2. I love my 17 mach 2! I had purchased a used VBZ over a year ago and it's a ho hum shooter with most 22 LR I have tried and OK with some other stuff. I'd like to see about cutting it back to 20 inches to match the lenth of my mach 2 gun. Has anyone done this? How had is it so set back and rechamber these for tighter groups? How does that affect the V block lock up?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM
ahlongslide

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are tons of companies that will cut and re-crown the muzzle end of your barrel for you.
IMO, I'm not sure cutting off the chamber, re-chambering, cutting a new place for the v-block would be plausible or economical.
But, I did just read that with 22lr they can ream out the chamber and insert a new/tighter sleeve. I'm sure other, more experienced, people will chime in with better advice shortly.
Good luck with your project!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 AM
TMan51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The cost of gunsmithing a VBZ into an accurate form, relative to just installing a new aftermarket tube is about equal. Green Mountain is cutting their selection as the threaded barrels have cut that market a bit. But there are some very high quality tubes out there that no amount of money or effort spent on the Ruger tube can match.

What have you done so far?

Triggers make a lot of difference, and just polishing the OEM trigger and installing a lower weight spring helps a lot.

I lapped the bore on my VBZ, and that cut group sizes from 0.75"-1.25"/5 @ 50yds, to sub 0.5" with some, not all ammo. Eley Target shoots under 1/2", and will do that day after day, group after group. It also shoots 0.9"-1.1" at 100yds. $9/bx. It shoots 99% as well with sorted Aguila Match, 90% as well with Federal Match. That sorted by rim > weight. For some unknown reason, it shoots 0.5"-0.8" with Remington Cyclone. It used to shoot that into 2-3" at 50yds.

Bedding the action made no difference at all, floating the barrel did notta.

If you really want to see the 77/22 shoot well, mount a Lilja barrel, and have the bolt trued and barrel shimmed. A friend I shoot with did that sequentially. He mounted the barrel himself, something anyone can do, and the improvement in accuracy was instant and dramatic. On a calm day it would shoot 0.3"-0.5" with anything like decent ammo, and even Federal Automatch. He had the action trued up, and group sizes ammo for ammo dropped a 1/10th or a bit more. I've eyed a couple groups that looked like a single shot from a 7mm rifle.

The Ruger barrel will never get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
nemohunter

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
Sorry but your wrong about the Ruger barrel unless your talking stock form. A reworked barrel will run with or crush any barrel out if the person doing the work knows what they are doing.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM
red-feather

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I would check the parralax on your scope first if you have not already ....most scopes are not adjusted propery for rimfire ranges usually shot at.
One could possibly spend many hundred dollars on barrels, re-chamber, bedding etc... and a simple parralax error can be responsible for larger than liked group size.
If the crosshairs are in a different spot than where you're looking each time ;the bullet will also follow....
just something simple to look into.....hope this helps.....
Not ALL Ruger factory barrels are Turds....
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM
nemohunter

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
Good post red-feather. Parallax can be worth as much as .4 moa if not adjusted properly.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several of these rugers. The 17 mach 2 shoots great! The WMR, Fantastic! The 22 LR..... hmm. I think part of it is the ammo. I also don't like the handling characteristics of the long 24 inch barrel. I may simply have the barrel cut to 20 and recrowned. I know a retired machinist that may be able to do this for me at his house.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM
ahlongslide

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It seems everyone except me knows a retired machinist...
Please post before and after pictures
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Compared to some of my old Winchesters,Remingtons and Mossbergs, a 24 inch barrel is short
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Gordon Shumway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
I don't understand why Ruger would choose 24 inches for the 22 LR VBZ but put a more practical 20 inch tube on the 17 mach 2. I love my 17 mach 2!
Did it occur to you that possibly the 24" barrel was a major part of the appeal of this rifle. Do you think no one out there wants a full sized .22 rifle that just feels right in your hands? And why is a 20" barrel more practical? Is it because you happened to get one that shoots good?

I'll admit many, if not most, 77/22 rifles need some TLC from one our competent machinists around here, but if done it is a great rifle.

I have a Kidd SG .22LR, a VQ .17HMR, and a CPC reworked 77/22VBZ. I will likely never sell any of them, but if I did, the 77/22VBZ would go last. Not because it shoots the best, but because I love the look, feel, accuracy, and just plain coolness of the rifle.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM
ky-chessie

TPC Rating: 
93% (38)
This will help a lot

Contact Randy at CPC. He is a sponsor here and can tighten the bolt, fix the chamber, and shorten and crown the barrel. I did it and it is FANTASTIC. BTW, I had the barrel cut to 20"
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
TMan51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemohunter View Post
A reworked barrel will run with or crush any barrel out if the person doing the work knows what they are doing.
Could you describe "reworked"?

Mine will shoot the Eley Target/Club ammo to about 0.4"-0.5" average for a series of four to five groups. About the same with Sorted Aguila Match. Wolf it doesn't seem to like for some reason. Oddly, it shoots Cyclone nearly as well as Ely. ???

I have lapped the bore, which helped a lot, that improved accuracy with every type of ammo. I reworked the trigger which made getting consistent groups easier. I've bedded he action, that had no measurable effect. If its significant, it shoots any decent unplated ammo better than the best plated stuff, but I find that to be true for my Savage MKII, and my 10/22 also.

Any suggestion on "rework" would be appreciated, but as hunting .22LR's go, it's actually pretty good as is.

Now the 24" barrel thing is a love it or hate it feature for most. I bought the rifle initially to shoot varmints, and to have a practice rifle that felt like a real gun. If you ever wondered if a longer barrel does anything for performance, it does. Mine shoots every brand I've checked to higher than advertised velocity, by as much as 50 fps. CCI Velocitor and Aguila Interceptor both average a bit more than 1500fps, about 30fps over the ads. It gets a fox off their feet faster than anything I've tried.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 PM
nemohunter

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
A reworked barrel has a new better chamber along with a perfect crown. They will shoot with the best out there. Here is a lay up of four targets shot with four different ammo's. 5 round groups at 50 yds.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
Did it occur to you that possibly the 24" barrel was a major part of the appeal of this rifle. Do you think no one out there wants a full sized .22 rifle that just feels right in your hands? And why is a 20" barrel more practical? Is it because you happened to get one that shoots good?

I'll admit many, if not most, 77/22 rifles need some TLC from one our competent machinists around here, but if done it is a great rifle.

I have a Kidd SG .22LR, a VQ .17HMR, and a CPC reworked 77/22VBZ. I will likely never sell any of them, but if I did, the 77/22VBZ would go last. Not because it shoots the best, but because I love the look, feel, accuracy, and just plain coolness of the rifle.

My thoughts also..................................
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just like the balance and handling characteristics of a 20 or shorter tube better than a 24. On those old winchester 22s they balanced at 25 inches and they were not covered in optics and other non essential stuff to weigh them down. Just because I'm not fond of the 24 inch barrel doesn't mean I don't like the rifle. I just think it could be better made to suite my preferences.