Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
czechman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most reliable/best 10/22 out of box

Fellas-
Was there any particular year when the 10/22's became much improved or better that is widely known? I am looking to purchase one and would like to add mods to it as the years go by better scope, and other customization possibly. But for know I would like to pay as little as possible and have a reliable straight shooting 22 lr. Any advice on year and model?

If this is inconclusive I might just go with the new FS or takedown model.

I see many 10/22's from 80's and 90's for cheap on the broker type sites and since the box stores are out I was thinking I might get the most bang for the buck by purchasing one that is used slightly dinged but rust free...

Thanks in Advance!!
Czechman
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
ditto1958
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi, welcome to Rimfire Central!

There is nothing in a newer model 10/22 that won't last. The older ones were made nicer- prettier bluing, aluminum triggerguards and barrel bands, walnut stocks, etc., but the actual working parts? They just work. 10/22's are generally extremely reliable long-lasting .22 rifles. Most are able to shoot almost any ammunition you put in them with no trouble.

I think it's really just a personal decision as to what flavor 10/22 you want, but chances are that whatever you choose, you will end up with an excellent rifle that you can depend on for years to come.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Welcome..

The most reliable..? .... the one you can find ammo for

As stated the Older ones IMO are better in many ways...but..if ya want Tupperware TG so you can drop in a KID Trigger Kit then that's what ya need.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/Ruger-102...-kit_p_95.html

Take downs are great IF ya need one for the Compact stow-ability...otherwise they are not as modifiable.

Out of the box or OLDER there are things that need modified for many reasons..and one is reliability..so take your pick and get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM
2 clicks low
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First, Welcome to RFC.

I bought my 10/22 in 75. It was made in 74 prefix 113. Shots great, had minute of squirrel accuracy out of the box. Put a scope and sling on it and shot it as is for 20 years, +- 200,000 rounds, before I decided on a mod or two. Now not much left but action and bolt. Still have original parts and put it back to factory for a while a couple years ago. Still shoots MOS.

If buying today I would go with a new TD model, shoot the heck out of it, mod as the mood strikes and figure out who you will leave it to.

2cl
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM
czechman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thank very much!

Well if most guns are just as good or better if they are the older ones then thats great. I slightly prefer wood and the look and feel of it. Maybe if I can find a rust free one then that would be cool.
As I have not made any real decision, is there anything else better that might cost a bit more? (in a 22lr)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
IMO no..

But some will argue or make a case for ________...fill in the blank.

Don't get scared off of 10/22's...they are fantastic little guns...I own a few safes full.

Older Woodie...Modified '72 ...this one has had approx. 20K rounds thru it.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 AM
brienc
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a nice looking stock Chaser, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 AM
mauiblue

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My very first 10/22 (Tactical Target) purchased earlier last year has been reliable since the initial break in of a couple hundred rounds. Never had any problems now with a couple thousand rounds through it. It is mildly modified with Kidd trigger parts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 AM
dads_addiction

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post

After all these years seeing that pic....it still blows my mind you taught that gun to self levitate!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
22scorpion

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the newer ones with synthetic stock and fiber optic sights. No modifications needed other than a target hammer for ~$25.

I still have the first one I bought way back 80's and comparing the two I like the newer gun better. I like the polymer trigger group and the polymer barrel band is stronger than the aluminum. My aluminum band broke many years ago and I replaced it with another aluminum because it was before they started making them in polymer.