Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2004, 02:15 AM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
" anodizing "

i have seen painted bbls here,. am thinking of "PAINTING" my ss bbl and wondered what kind of paint to use on ss. anodizied? prep? spray can or???? if i screw it up, easily removable?

thanks guys.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:20 AM
homersapien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel = metal. Painting barrel = just like painting any other metal. Use whatever paint you want...a bull barrel won't get even remotely warm enough to warrant high temp paint. Plug the barrel and don't paint the part of the barrel that fits into the reciever and don't paint the v-block area. If you screw it up, you hit it with some brake cleaner or paint stripper and start over.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trying to understand why you titled the thread "anodizing" yet ask questions about painting a Stainless Steel barrel?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 01:57 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlurz
Trying to understand why you titled the thread "anodizing" yet ask questions about painting a Stainless Steel barrel?

Ron
antlurz, wasnt sure how to word the que. "anodizing" may have been an error in symantics. was thinking of a type of finish guys used to spray on mag rims way back. it leaves a pretty metallic look. kind of like a "candy" effect. maybe there is something new on the market. sometimes i confuse myself. gramps used to say," if you're not sure, ask" thanks again

Old 03-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK..

Anodizing is an electronic process that embeds color into the surface metal. At least color anodizing is. There is another process in anodizing that surface hardens the metal.

Apparently, "cast" aluminum doesn't do real well with color anodizing... at least the results aren't as predictable.

Online "how to" directions are fairly easy to find on the net and easy to do. I've posted addresses to directions on it here before. would have to dig a bit to find them..

Ron

Last edited by Antlurz; 03-18-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Tuck

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
I would like to try to put some transparnt dye and clear a shot blasted barrel.

Any takers?
Old 03-18-2004, 03:00 PM
adnj
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was thinking the same thing...

Just want to touch up the receiver and trigger. I was thinking of a few coats of air-brushed enamel-something to clean up the nicks from years of faithful service. What paint? Blast or solvent for the 10/22 black finish?

Last edited by adnj; 03-18-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:49 PM
ccomander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hear is a Link to something you might want to take a Look at all you do is Prep the
Barrel and Recever and any other part and spray it on and Bake it in your oven at
a low temp
hear is a link to the Product
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...0FINISH&s=4099
hear is a link to some one who shows you how to use it
http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/metal/mnmetal.html

hope that this helps
Old 03-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Rimfire4fun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are candy powder coats out there and I plan on stripping my sons build and finishing it as such. This kid's set is gonna make mine look like a mistake. I can't wait til its done to post picks. Tuck did the stock and the darned thing just glows in the sunlight. I have checked the butt for batteries, and they are not evident.