Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 PM
riflesmithy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons View Post
I use a dacron filler supplied by the Javelina bullet lube company - seems to be the same as some pillow stuffing. Don't cram it in, just a tuft to keep the powder back near the primer. I use it in 30/06 cases, 18 grains of 2400 powder and a 196 grain cast bullet. The load came from an old Lyman manual and was for "100-200 yard target." I've shot literally hundreds of these loads with no problems and good accuracy.
Dacron works well for this application as dons and others have said, just enough to fluff out and hold the powder in place to the rear of the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons View Post
I've read that cornmeal or cream of wheat will bulge chambers in bottleneck cases, but have never tried either.
This is true or worse,... like a blown-out case head.

In straight walled cases, like the 38-55 or 45/70, cornmeal or cream of wheat just add to the "projectile weight".

In bottle neck cases, particularly more modern types, the corn meal or cream of wheat can actually pack into the case neck on ignition and create a bit of an obstruction. Then even reduced amounts of powder can develop dangerously excessive pressure.

When working down in performance below book recommended levels, the same level of care must be taken as if you were working up above book recommended levels. JMO

smithy
Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
To Hector fuego

The load in question is a 32 Winchester special. I have the Lyman 49th book and the load data for 3031 is 28g for the low. I'm using 26g and it fills the case to the curvature of the neck. It has just a little wiggle room. Is it enough for concern about using a filler?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
" When working down in performance below book recommended levels, the same level of care must be taken as if you were working up above book recommended levels. "

If you get down to a half filled case, I should think the type of ignition you would get would depend a lot on whether the gun is pointed up or down or level when fired. Sounds like it could get dangerous if you tested the load level then pointed the gun up and pulled the trigger.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Blackrock
US Army Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back in the 70's prime skinned and stretched coyote hides were bringing up to $150 and a Bobcat hide over $300. We were shooting reduced loads in 22-250's with a 55g FMJ and trying for one little hole in and sometimes out. The goal was for just one in. Lost all my load books for that era but we were doing pretty good at it that winter. Heavy snow and good results calling in. Some chase work on snow machines after a shot but we tried for broadside heart shots at under 200 yards. Between my brother, his wife and myself we shot 120 dogs and 6 cats that season in Montana.