Operation of the P22 Internal Trigger Lock - Pictorial - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:05 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Operation of the P22 Internal Trigger Lock - Pictorial

There seems to be some concern and confusion over the function of the internal trigger lock on the P22. It had been assumed that if this device was engaged and the trigger then pulled that the pistol would "lock up" in a manner where the lock could not be disengaged nor could the slide be removed in order to diasassemble the pistol to remedy the situation. Actually, function of the pistol and several key components are locked when the internal lock is engaged but this is the exact intention of the device.

The P22 will not lock up if the internal safety is engaged and the trigger is pulled or an attempt is made to cycle the slide. It might be that one P22 owner did not understand the function of this device and assumed it locked the pistol in an unwanted manner or possibly had a damaged or worn pistol. Aside from the original post regarding this I have never read any other posts where this situation was addressed nor have I been able to duplicate any unwanted locking or jamming of the slide, trigger or safety.

Most of the following pictures are self explanatory. It should be noted that the steel key is designed so that it can not apply too much torque to the lock. The "V" slot will slip over the tapered top of the steel lock before any internal damage is done. On the other hand it does take firm pressure to make this type of nose engage the safety. So press firmly. It should also be noted that if the safety is in the fire position and the hammer is cocked that it will not be possible to rotate the safety using the key. This is because the trigger shoulder will be in the way. The solution, simply lower the hammer, the safety is then free to be easily rotated to the safe position.

When the internal safety is engaged a number of parts on the pistol will no longer function. This is because the function of the trigger, trigger bar, hammer strut, hammer and slide are all connected. If the trigger can't move.....then neither can the the slide because in order to do so it has to cock the hammer and the hammer is tied to the trigger through the hammer spur and trigger bar.

From the picture above it should be pretty clear that attempting to pull the trigger simply presses the shoulder of the trigger assembly against the internal safety. It might be possible to pull the trigger with such force as to jam it since the trigger is made of polymer but this would take much more force than would be reasonable to apply.

As you may have noticed, sticky #2 has been removed and this thread attempts to explain how this device works and that the P22 does not lock up as previously thought.

One final note. My pistols, with the internal safety engaged, will not allow the trigger or my thumb to partially cock the hammer. If you had a pistol that for some reason had wear or damage to the trigger shoulder you "might" be able to cause the hammer to engage the safety notch. (This is the only scenario I can come up with that might cause the lock to get stuck. Properly functioning components do not allow this to happen.) A partially cocked hammer would put pressure on the whole chain of fire control parts. This situation would press the trigger shoulder against the internal safety. Again, this would not be normal but from looking at the picture above you can see that pressing forward on the rear of the trigger and holding the pressure would pivot the trigger shoulder up and off the safety. This would then relieve any pressure and free the safety to be rotated to the fire position. M1911

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 04-10-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
bustamove

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What an excellent job of showing the "J" spring and it's location within the frame of the P22. Recently I tore mine down to clean any left over metal or other trash left during manufacturing. Upon re-assembly I really had to look and see where exactly this spring came from?

During assembly I did take the J spring and expanded it slightly so it would stay in position when I put the two halves of the frame back together. Doing the slight expansion of the j spring really helped me, I had tried several times to re-assemble the frame but the spring kept falling out.

I just wanted to let you know as an owner of the P22 how much I appreciated not only this photo lesson, but your explanation of the working pieces and where they belong in relation to each other.

Very well done! Thanks so much.

By the way, I also love your P22 Bible. That is a work of art. You can-not believe how many people you have helped by making this available. I was informed of the P22 Bible you created by none other than a Rep from Smith and Wesson. Once I found the link to it, I created a link for others to learn from on the Maryland Shooters Website. I did make sure to include where it came from, and who created it. What a wonderful piece of work. Again thank you!

Last edited by bustamove; 08-12-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 AM
druryj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
P 22

Using the P22 Bible, I took mine all the way down to the last piece and thoroughly cleaned and then put her back together. Now if I could just smooth that trigger out! I know my P22 much better now. What a nice job you did on the P22 Bible...thanks a million.

By the way, I am at about the 3,000 round count so far. Eats CCI minimags the best, but okay with other hi-velocity stuff too. The P22 is my most fun gun ...and so cheap to shoot too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 12:10 PM
tommy610

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wish I'd seen this a few days ago. I was following the P22 Bible, and reassembling. I couldn't figure out exactly how the trigger lock and J-spring were to be oriented. So, I did not put it back in at all. That's fine with me. One less thing to go wrong. Plus, I wouldn't count on it to lock my gun from use anyway.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
mattTc17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Double Spring

I've been having a heck of a time getting the double spring seated under both frame halves - any tips?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTc17 View Post
I've been having a heck of a time getting the double spring seated under both frame halves - any tips?
Welcome mattTc17, in the future just start a new thread down in the main body....questions can get lost up here in the stickies. Yep, that little spring is tricky. first of all, I don't reinstall the smaller, inner one. Works fire with only the large one. The trick is to assemble the pistol's internal parts on the right side of the frame. When it comes to the little springs that hold the mag safety foot down I carefully insert the spring (s) into the recess in the top of the safety foot. Then with a small flat blade screwdriver, about 3/16" wide size, I carefully press the spring down just enough to be able to press the top of the spring under the little ledge on the right side of the frame. You do this while also sliding the safety foot all the way to the right. Then while holding it there I carefully pull the blade out while continuing to hold the spring in place.

Makes me wonder.......WHAT was Walther thinking? Couldn't the right side of the frame been a little wider there, a slight pin molded into the right side to fit the spring over, a slight ring depression.....something? M1911