Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Zell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a new P22

It's meant to be a plinking gun for my sons and I.

I've skimmed through the P22 bible but there's a lot in there. In a nut shell, what should I do to ready this gun for shooting. What are some things I need to be aware of about this gun?

Thank you.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:07 AM
jbr
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not knowing your level of confidence in taking apart the P22 and doing mods to it, I guess a general recommendation would be to follow Walther's instructions for taking the gun down for cleaning, getting rid of the packing oil in the gun, lubing it with some remoil + teflon, and put it all back together. Then take it and your sons to the range and have some fun. Do the mods later.
Just my $.02
Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 AM
kraaazymike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In addition to what JBR said, you really should polish the trigger bar ears before you shoot. Otherwise, they'll just dig and dig into your slide. Everything else can wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Zell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to both of you for responding.

Though I'm not a novice shooter I am when it comes to gun smithing. I guess I'll have to figure out how to polish the trigger bar ears. I'm not even sure what they are.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
kraaazymike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
p.52 of the bible will tell you about the trigger bar ears. Though if you're a little less mechanically inclined, taking apart the main housing may seem a little daunting. Make sure you keep your eye on the trigger lock spring, mag safety spring and slide lock springs; pesky little fellows they are....

*edit: if this seems a little too difficult, remember you can go with JBR's response with cleaning and shooting. So long as you get to those trigger bar ears sooner or later. Preferably sooner.

Last edited by kraaazymike; 11-26-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Zell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraaazymike View Post
p.52 of the bible will tell you about the trigger bar ears. Though if you're a little less mechanically inclined, taking apart the main housing may seem a little daunting. Make sure you keep your eye on the trigger lock spring, mag safety spring and slide lock springs; pesky little fellows they are....

*edit: if this seems a little too difficult, remember you can go with JBR's response with cleaning and shooting. So long as you get to those trigger bar ears sooner or later. Preferably sooner.
Thanks.

I'm afraid I'll screw it up if I try it myself. Would a gun smith know what this is all about?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 PM
kraaazymike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure that if you took the slide off and showed them the bar ears and the gouges on the inside of the slide, a competent gunsmith could easily fix it for you.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Zell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraaazymike View Post
I'm sure that if you took the slide off and showed them the bar ears and the gouges on the inside of the slide, a competent gunsmith could easily fix it for you.
Thank you. What else should I have a gunsmith look at while they have it?