Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kimber LPTII

I have the opportunity to acquire one of these, and im wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about Kimbers, its very nice , it was made in their Custom Shop in 2004, but unlike other Kimbers i have seen it has an external extractor.Any info would be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3A1E7CDA-1AF6-4B4D-AF04-F5C4018DEF3F.jpeg (95.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well it finally came in. Box papers etc, almost perfect for a 15 year old gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F65685AC-FF80-4D68-8EA1-C0DDAF92002F.jpg (496.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:44 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have never seen one with an external extractor, either. Very curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 03:19 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kimber was one of the first companies to try the external extractors. I believe they've gone to internal extractors now, because of many complaints about them.

I like the internal extractors personally, due to my familiarity with them, but the pistols I've owned that have external extractors have rarely given me any problems ( I did have to replace the extractor on a FEG PJK-9HP, but that was probably my fault, after converting it to .41AE, long ago).
I had to replace the extractor on a Colt .38 Super, once, too, lest I forget, but I'd monkeyed with it, too, swapping out a 9mm barrel in it.
Kimber tried to avoid issues with the internal extractors by using the external ones, but the "problems" with internal extractors are mostly a matter of knowing how to "adjust" them. A file stroke here and there, and a very careful "bend" for proper tension isn't hard to figure out.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:31 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here are the two 1911s I have currently (I've had a bunch over the years). One is a Colt Custom Shop 1991A1 demo/display gun, that I was able to buy for peanuts back in the 1990s. If you really look at it, you can see that it isn't stock by any means, Videcki trigger, beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous thumb safety, internal tuning/trigger job, Navidrex grips, and other minor things. It's marked CCS under the left grip, which is how I found it it was a Custom Shop gun.
The other is a Ruger SR 1911, similar to the gun I used for competition for about 20 years, shooting IPSC/IDPA type shooting. It's the Target model, shoots pretty good. About the only difference between this gun and the customized Colt I used for all those years, was I'd had the frontstrap checkered on the old Colt.

I've added extended magazine releases and Smith and Alexander magwells to both pistols, both of which make the guns easier to use. More fun to use that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1545.jpg (417.7 KB, 1 views)