Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:38 PM
outdoorman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Removing paint from walnut stock

I just won an older (High Standard) 22lr revolver on auction that is advertised as having black painted walnut stocks.
The photos do show them as painted black and I would like to know about removing it to try to get to original walnut wood.
I have never done this before and want advice on how a novice should approach this.
Is it easily doable with sweat equity only and without expensive tools?
I'd like to get it looking nice like original walnut stock would have looked.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:08 PM
dokey
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I use Stripeze or Dad's. Use a soft wire brush or tooth brush if there's checkering. I've had good results using Minwax fast dry urethane sprays
Old 10-28-2019, 05:15 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
I use Citristrip, available just about anywhere and does not harm the wood. No noxious smell either.
Brush on, let sit 20-30 minutes and wipe off. If needed you can reapply and work it gently with a natural boar bristle brush, not synthetic, which the stripper will dissolve all over your work.
Chip brushes are available cheap from Harbor Freight and are natural bristle.
Once fully stripped, wipe down with generous applications of genuine Mineral Spirits, not the substitute stuff.
Make sure you wash off all the stripper with the Mineral Spirits, then set aside at least 24 hours to let the Spirits flash off fully.
These old K Frame Herret's were stripped with Citristrip and finished with Tru-Oil. It brought them back to life nicely.
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 08:04 PM
1dogdown
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
ol shooter laid it out good and to the point.No need to over think this.A trained monkey could do it.You got this.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:48 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dogdown View Post
No need to over think this.A trained monkey could do it.
And I'm living proof of that.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:38 PM
outdoorman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ol' Shooter,

Those grips look great!
Thank you for the photos and the advice; when mine gets here, I'm going at it.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:09 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd take the grips off and scratch the inside to see if it really is wood before putting stripper on them. Many of those pistols had black plastic grips.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:05 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Good point.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Formby's paint stripper. It's non toxic and works better than most other popular strippers I've used...but is expensive in comparison. Very simple job for anyone... apply a thick coat with a chip brush or rag, wait for the paint to crinkle up and wipe off. Do it again until you are satisfied. Clean with turps and look for paint left in the grain...black shouldn't show too much but white is a totally different deal. If you're lucky it was painted over an original clear finish and the paint didn't fill deep into the grain. Light sanding from here to take the fuzzies off and apply whatever finish you want.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:07 PM
outdoorman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well the gun came in today and the grips are PLASTIC! (not wood as advertised).
They are painted black so what should I use to get off the black paint off plastic?

Also, noticed the ejector rod seems bent and has resistance when pushing out the ejector.
The only thing I can figure is to try to find a replacement ejector rod but first need help figuring out how to remove the ejector rod. Cant' find any youtube videos showing it on this model.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:17 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Stripping paint from plastic is pretty much a no go, but you could sand and repaint them or look for grips or even try your hand at making your own. What model is it, it would help us help you with information.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:32 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Well the gun came in today and the grips are PLASTIC! (not wood as advertised).
They are painted black so what should I use to get off the black paint off plastic?

Also, noticed the ejector rod seems bent and has resistance when pushing out the ejector.
The only thing I can figure is to try to find a replacement ejector rod but first need help figuring out how to remove the ejector rod. Cant' find any youtube videos showing it on this model.
Many HS revolvers used a cross pin to hold the rod and ejector together. Fully depress the rod and look on the cylinder side of the ejector. Numrich has some parts if you know what model it is.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Testors makes a paint and decal remover for plastic models. Googling shows there are other strippers for plastics but you still have to test them. Before going that route I would soak the grips in water a couple days to see if the paint lifts...you may get lucky. By the time you buy strippers and such it may be cheaper to find used grips on an auction site.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:52 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkhead View Post
Testors makes a paint and decal remover for plastic models. Googling shows there are other strippers for plastics but you still have to test them. Before going that route I would soak the grips in water a couple days to see if the paint lifts...you may get lucky. By the time you buy strippers and such it may be cheaper to find used grips on an auction site.
We use "Plastic" in sort of a generic way. Many of the old things plastic were actually hard rubber. I agree with just getting replacements. I would try to find reproduction grips rather than originals. They will probably last longer. I once had an old set of Craftsman screwdrivers. One day the handles started turning white and cracked. Not long after they fell apart. Many plastic self destruct after many years.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:25 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I never knew HS made this many revolvers> https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...d/revolvers-hs