Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:25 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMTM View Post
....24 years in the military (with many combat deployments) in my mind tells me that I know a "thing or two" about shooting (I'm still alive to type this!). NOT "competition" shooting (where a trophy is given), but the kind of competition where the winner gets to live another day.
The kind of cleaning to which people are inured in service seems optimized for function rather than accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMTM View Post
Centerfire rifles have bores, consisting of lands and groves, which do what we all know they do. Rimfire rifles have the same thing, for the same reason. So,.....why would rimfire rifles be different than centerfire?
Because a centerfire rifle bullet will be jacketed with rifling impressing directly onto the jacket. A 22lr bullet is lubricated, and the lead from the bullet ideally never touches the steel of the barrel because there is lubricant between the two. Strip all the lubricant out of the rimfire barrel and you no longer have the normal operating condition of the barrel. Clean excessive crud out of your centerfire barrel and you get effective rifling.

I don't believe the many rimfire shooters who note the necessity of seasoning a barrel for best accuracy mean that you should have lead obscuring the rifling and leaving a shooter with an effective smoothbore.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:07 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
All I know, theory aside, is after 40+ years of shooting and cleaning after every outing, I learned here on this forum about letting the .22LR get fouled a bit before best groups show up. I tried it, and have seen tremendous improvements in my 22LR groups as result, with just about every 22lr rifle I own. My center fires are another story entirely. And none go into storage with dirty bores. Which brings me to a pet peeve...I don't understand why gun dealers or private sellers leave the bores dirty on guns being sold. What the heck!!

Last edited by 284wahoo; 11-02-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284wahoo View Post
I don't understand why gun dealers or private sellers leave the bores dirty on guns being sold. What the heck!!
Lazy, not enough time, and/or they don't give a rat's rectum. A dirty bore can cover up imperfections like CZ's mud on their stocks IMA.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Inside lubricated jacketed bullet" ???????? It seems to me that every shot smears a little jacket metal on the bore of the bbl. Depending on the smoothness or roughness of the bore, it can be accurate for many rounds before cleaning or not so many. I had one Model 70 that was fouled after 3 or 4 shots. Still had deer rifle accuracy but had to be cleaned between groups if shooting for accuracy. There is no inside lube in a jacketed bullet. It's straight jacket material against the bbl. This is why centerfire bores are more suseptable to rust if not cleaned and oiled. 22 Rimfire bullets have lube on the bullet, this lube is what protects the bore of your .22. I have heard of .22 bbls leading, Mine have never leaded but the chamber area does get a build up and it requires cleaning. I occasionally run a boresnake or patchworm thru my .22 bores but I don't scrub them like I do with a centerfire.
My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Last edited by Big Pete10; 11-03-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete10 View Post
Mine have never leaded but the chamber area does get a build up and it requires cleaning. I occasionally run a boresnake or patchworm thru my .22 bores but I don't scrub them like I do with a centerfire.
My 2 cents for what it's worth.
If you shoot them and don't occasionally scrub the chamber you will end up with a carbon ring eventually, which isn't very good for accuracy. Not to mention the cycling problems it can cause.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Inside lubricated is the term used to describe a bullet that was inserted into the neck of the case with the lube groves inside the case, as opposed to having the mouth of the case crimped to the heel of the bullet and the lube exposed. With the advent of jacketed bullets lubrication was no longer needed, but the term remained.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:06 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread. As it has been forever, there is no clear consensus on when, or how often, to clean a rifle and there's nothing wrong with that.

A lot of good information has been presented so each reader can decide what is best for their own situation and rifle.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:38 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Not clear to who? Now that...... is funny. Did you go to and read the link in post #3? I'll try one more time (be very careful, you might learn something):

http://www.ssvtexel.nl/index.cfm?act...F5CF897974784F
Old 11-04-2019, 03:54 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More .22 bores have been ruined by over cleaning than by under cleaning. I once bought an old single shot .22 that looked very ugly, the outside of the barrel looked like a piece of re-bar. I got the rifle for a low price, brought it home, cleaned the bore and found it to be excellent. The wax buildup in the bore prevented the rust that attacked the outside of the barrel. The rifle shoots fine, though still looks rough.