Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Win75
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My 52 is a 1956 born C. So far, it is partial to some Federal 900B. Shoots 3/8 inch or less at 25. I have a limited supply of that ammo so I am going to try some Wolf and some SK.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Nice shooting, Larry!
Old 10-28-2019, 04:39 PM
Gasguy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 52C does well with Aguila HV copper jacket HP. At 50 yds, small group but usually one flyer. SK standard plus does 5 shot groups all touching at 50 yds. Aguila is $1.49 and SK is $5.95. Does cost make a difference for your needs?
Old 10-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
Nice shooting, Larry!
Bill, that group was shot by a friend with my M52-B BULLGUN. He bought the rifle a couple days later. My M52-C will edge that group out using the same Lyman STS 20X.
Thanks for your nice comment. Big Larry
Old 10-29-2019, 08:33 AM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My C light barrel and C bull

like RWS R50 or R100 and Eley black box. Have not tried red box.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:45 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The best advice you've been given so far is: "Test, test, test and then test some more." Every rifle, Winchester 52 or not, is a law unto itself and what it likes will only be determined by shooting it. Even if most 52's like brand-X, that doesn't mean yours will although it may be a good place to begin.

The first thing I suggest you do is replace that 3~9X scope with a minimum of 20X and more would be better. That will permit you to aim more precisely.

While cartridges such as SK Std Plus, Pistol Match, CCI Std Velocity etc may be good, in my experience they also have a greater variance between lots; i.e., one lot shoots great and the next doesn't. The more expensive cartridges generally offer more consistency as you'd expect although it's no guarantee. Center-X has done well for me but I have had a lot that wasn't as good as it should have been.

Yesterday I was shooting an H&R Model 12 rifle with a 20X scope. At 50 yards I fired SK Std Plus and the first four went dead center into a very small hole. The 5th shot would have dropped several points as it went low. That has been a consistent theme with that lot of those cartridges. A different lot could be better... or worse.

In the 1920's when .22 target shooting was in it's heyday, it was commonly advised to test every available cartridge one could find. When one that was good was found, buy as much of that lot as possible. It's still good advice today.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:21 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
The best advice you've been given so far is: "Test, test, test and then test some more." Every rifle, Winchester 52 or not, is a law unto itself and what it likes will only be determined by shooting it. Even if most 52's like brand-X, that doesn't mean yours will although it may be a good place to begin.

The first thing I suggest you do is replace that 3~9X scope with a minimum of 20X and more would be better. That will permit you to aim more precisely.

While cartridges such as SK Std Plus, Pistol Match, CCI Std Velocity etc may be good, in my experience they also have a greater variance between lots; i.e., one lot shoots great and the next doesn't. The more expensive cartridges generally offer more consistency as you'd expect although it's no guarantee. Center-X has done well for me but I have had a lot that wasn't as good as it should have been.

Yesterday I was shooting an H&R Model 12 rifle with a 20X scope. At 50 yards I fired SK Std Plus and the first four went dead center into a very small hole. The 5th shot would have dropped several points as it went low. That has been a consistent theme with that lot of those cartridges. A different lot could be better... or worse.

In the 1920's when .22 target shooting was in it's heyday, it was commonly advised to test every available cartridge one could find. When one that was good was found, buy as much of that lot as possible. It's still good advice today.
Excellent points made here. Your results with SK Standard is normal for midrange to cheaper ammo. You may get several in the same hole, but it's the flyers that will kill a good group....or a target in competition. While money will not guarantee flyer free consistency from shot to shot, it does put more of the odds in your favor. The best ammo may not be completely flyer free, but should have less of them.

Last edited by pump .22s; 10-29-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post

Might be selling a 455 to a guy so it might free up my 4.5-27 to test the accuracy of this rig.

I know each gun is different but sometimes based on chambers there are certain brands that they all seem to shoot better with.

When I get back out again I will take pictures of the bullets as the bolt rubs on them.

If it wasn't so windy and cold I would have gone today (27* and a 15-20 mpg gusts). Might end up at the indoor range but they have poor lighting
Old 10-30-2019, 02:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
When I get back out again I will take pictures of the bullets as the bolt rubs on them.
You may have a magazine problem if the bolt is shaving the bullets. It could be the angle the cartridges are held at by the magazine.

If you're shooting from the bench, try leaving the magazine empty and feeding each cartridge directly into the chamber with your fingers and pushing it fully into the chamber with your thumb. That will prevent damaging the bullet when feeding from a magazine.

When I shoot from the bench, I single feed my cartridges by hand even if it's a magazine rifle.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:44 AM
CZ-Tommy
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've tested SK and Eley ammo and have found the SK Pistol Match works best for me. It shot better than Midas, Center X, Tenex and Match
Go figure!
Old 10-30-2019, 02:04 PM
kioti65c
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to kioti65c
52 c ammo

Believe it or not guys but my 52c loves Geco semi auto... 1 in groups astt 100 yds co
tried all the high dollar match stuff..but I guess each rifle has it's own likes
Old 10-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Win Model 52 ammo

I have a rather nice pre "A" 52 that is all original except for being converted to a speed lock. It seems to shoot just about as accurately with any/all standard velocity 22lr! Since it is not too fussy, I shoot what ever I have on hand.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51guy View Post
I have a rather nice pre "A" 52 that is all original except for being converted to a speed lock. It seems to shoot just about as accurately with any/all standard velocity 22lr! Since it is not too fussy, I shoot what ever I have on hand.
May have been converted at the factory. They did a lot of that in the day. Big Larry
Old 10-30-2019, 06:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioti65c View Post
Believe it or not guys but my 52c loves Geco semi auto... 1 in groups astt 100 yds co
tried all the high dollar match stuff..but I guess each rifle has it's own likes
Yesterday I tested half a dozen cartridges in my Walther UIT Standard rifle to see if I could find one to use in our local 100 yard "cheap" .22 match. Cartridges must cost less than $7 a box.

I was shooting at 50 yards and they all had more fliers than I liked... until I tried Geco Semi-Auto. I shot three groups; two 5 shot and one 10 shot group. All were one hole.

Today I shot the match and won with a 239-6X. The X-ring is 1/2 inch and the 10 ring 1 inch. We shoot 5 bulls, 5 shots each for a possible 250-25X.

It was damp and a bit windy but the Geco Semi-Auto did reasonably well.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Hicksville Kid
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only recently started back shooting my 52D with the ammo I purchased when I shot regularly about six years ago. I had a bunch of Eley Target, Sk STD Plus, R50 and lots of CCI SV, Select and mini mags. I shot up all except the CCI and the Eley. That was a few weeks ago. Today I went out with the Eley and the CCI. The Eley was worse than the CCI. Much. It was a different Eley lot # than what I shot a few weeks ago. That was ok but not as good as the Sk and R50. I’m going to buy some R50 and Sk when I get home.