Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:02 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rats in the attic.

I have vermin up there. Never had them in my old house. Is there a good DIY method to get them gone? I put a sonic thing up there (friend gave it to me to try) and it seems to have cut down on the activity some. But now it's started to make a louder, intermittent screech that I can hear. Told my friend that the rats have modded it to drive ME out.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:13 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mice and rats could care less about those electronic high frequency things. I bought 13 one time for the farm house. Took em back after a couple of months and got my money back. Put traps right in front of them and caught mice and rats. An old fashioned rat trap will get em but...you have to put the cheese or peanut butter in cheese cloth and tie that to the disconnect or they will get the bait. Don't ask me how but they will. Not with the cheesecloth though. Gets em every time. Have a heart traps work well too....peanut butter, nuts, cheese....they are suckers for that. If you wan't to poison them One Bite works well, blood thinner, makes them thirsty, they leave your house in search of water and die there, outside of you house. You might have flying squirrels too. Find the hole if so. They fly out at night....seal em out while they are gone.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:41 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
You might have flying squirrels too. Find the hole if so. They fly out at night....seal em out while they are gone.
Can I use a Rem 1100 equipped with a FLIR scope?

All we have are tree squirrels here. Wish we had more Cooper's hawks.

My neighbor tells me they're Norway rats, and that they have a high IQ. They see their pal get caught in a particular trap and quickly learn to avoid it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 02:14 AM
JVStalin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile Can I play , too ?

Really big sticky traps ?
Old 10-30-2019, 02:19 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've watched many a YouTube (mostly from one or another Asian country) on the subject. They get pretty creative, with little to work with. I plan to try a few of their ideas.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:43 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Norway rats are HUGE. Getting a cat is only going to give them a toy.

I suggest that you go to the Zoo at about 1 AM, dressed in leather from head to toe.

Liberate yourself a Bobcat, or two.

Shove them in your attic, and wait for the mayhem to ensue.

Alternatively:

They're exiting your attic somewhere.

Set up a blind and wait with a .22.

Good Hunting, either way.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience is trapping will never get them all. Poison should clean them out. DEcon used to work very well, but; it got regulated off the shelf. One Shot sounds similar. You refill or refresh the bait trey on a schedule, at first weekly then perhaps over 6 months. You place the poison in hard to reach places where they instinctively crawl. Not out in the middle of open spaces. Obviously away from pets, which is not a problem in an attic crawl space. You might set up in a few other places like kitchen or pantry and basement. They can move around more than you are aware and may enter from some lower levels.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:40 AM
Tex45LC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is typically a pipe that runs up through the attic to vent off sewer gas. There is also a screen in it to prevent rats from crawling up through the pipe. Check to make sure that there are no holes in the pipe and it is attached to the roof exit. Friend of mine had a bad rat problem and this was where the rat entrance was to his attic.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're gonna have a really stinky attic if poison's employed. For example: a mouse got into a closet in our den and crawled into my fox hat and died. It took a bit but eventually I found what was stinking up the whole room. One rat's a lot bigger. The good thing about em being in the attic is the maggots will clean up the poisoned body except for hide n bones. YMMV
Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tomcat rat traps and Tomcat bait. Worked well for me.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
You're gonna have a really stinky attic if poison's employed. For example: a mouse got into a closet in our den and crawled into my fox hat and died. It took a bit but eventually I found what was stinking up the whole room. One rat's a lot bigger. The good thing about em being in the attic is the maggots will clean up the poisoned body except for hide n bones. YMMV
Yup Al, the poisoned crawl offs can stink bad and they're hard to find especially if they get in the studs behind the drywall. I'd go with mouse and rat snap traps baited with chewed up Snickers bar, spread around and checked every day or two.

My pal has second home out on the prairie East of Limon. 40 acres with an old farm house. Those country mice are tough. He sets traps when he's not there and went out one weekend and found a mouse that had sprung one trap on his rear legs, ate the bait and then crawled 15' across the floor and got finished off when a second trap snapped his neck. Now that's a hungry mouse!

Frank
Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 AM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check out the A-24 Automatic trap . CO2 powered and the animals fall away after so the trap sets itself . At least they will be in a pile unless the larger ones have a taste for the smaller . Good luck ! WJR
Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjritchie View Post
Check out the A-24 Automatic trap . CO2 powered and the animals fall away after so the trap sets itself . At least they will be in a pile unless the larger ones have a taste for the smaller . Good luck ! WJR
Other than the price that is simply outstanding WJ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGBCSQIH3o

I have a couple mining customers that have problems with rats chewing off electrical wire insulation and shorting out pumps. I'm going to show them this.

Frank
Old 10-30-2019, 11:25 AM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah I guess it is a little pricey , But considering the damage and or resultant fire Etc. the vermin can cause maybe a good investment . Cheers . WJR
Old 10-30-2019, 12:10 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
I had squirrels, and bought an inexpensive cage trap on Amazon. Three squirrels trapped in three days. Peanut Butter is irresistible to rodents.