Anyone D&T a 455 receiver? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:25 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
It's not a mystery. CZ is a European manufacturer. European rimfire shooters are more than satisfied that dovetail grooves with the appropriate rings are more than enough to secure optics to the rifle. They won't move. Competitive smallbore target shooters using high end rifles are quite comfortable using the dovetail grooves on them to fasten their aperture sights. Those folks take things seriously.
Excellent advice and I use the dovetails to mount my optics almost exclusively on my .22 rimfire rifles.

But, if he wants to have a Picatinny rail so he can swap optics around, the DIP and other adapters will also do the job reliably.

IMO, D&T on a CZ-455 is a total waste of money... and the holes can't be undone.

However, his rifle; his choice.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, there is one nice thing about a rimfire being made with holes pre-drilled for mounts. You can use one-piece solid aircraft aluminum Talley rings. The bases are the same piece of metal with the rings--so there's nothing that can ever come loose if you employ a little Loc-tite on the screws.

But like everyone has already stated, the dovetail is all you need on CZ rimfires. There are a whole bunch of great rings that will hold rock solid on the factory dovetail. Just to mention a few that really never shift:
Burris Signature with synthetic inserts are fairly perfect. I use them for hard kicking centerfire magnums too.
UTG rings. Solid
Warne, etc.,

But this whole black rifle picaninny thing has gotten way out of hand Folks who never even shoot over 100 Yards are putting Picatinny rails on their 22's because they think they have to use them to keep the scope from shifting!

Now I do understand that many like to switch scopes for different purposes, so a rail makes it easier for them. But speaking of easier, I find it easier to just scope and zero different rifles for different purposes without ever switching scopes or rings or using rails. And as long as we are talking about rimfire sporters, a different rifle isn't going to be too expensive. So I have a CZ 452 scoped for target shooting and another CZ 452 scoped for hunting.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíve used the dovetail and the rail on my CZs. Generally use the rail for longer bigger scopes. But not always. It just depends! Like you I have rifles scoped for what I want to do with them, But I sometimes do a scope dance , swapping them around when I get a new scope, or when my original matching doesnít work out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6F26EC68-0C1E-497C-80F4-2514B9467BD6.jpg (511.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg A8736B2D-29BD-4B0E-8D95-4FE1ECCA068C.jpg (503.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-22-2019, 07:02 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would assume that adding a rail (whatever make) will change the fit of rings. Like from medium to low or from high to medium.

Am I correct in my thinking ?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:10 PM
pdeal

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2.0 View Post
I had the receiver drilled and tapped and a well known custom bolt action gun builder. Itís solid!! Never have to worry about if my rail is loose. Canít understand why CZ still making dove tail rail
Dovetails are inherently accurate and self aligning. This is why dovetail ways are and have been used as ways on machine tools for ever. Screws and clearance holes are not. Adding another set of anything between the rings and the dovetails does not improve reliability on a rimfire rifle.

The best shooters in the world are relying on 11mm dovetails to hold their sights on Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Walther, etc.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:38 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Lots of good thoughts here on this. All in all though, it is personal preference. If dovetail works for you then hey, enjoy. Picatinny works for me so I'll enjoy. Is it cost effective, well. If it's about cost effective then I'd just buy a cheap ruger and it'd be effective. Like most here though I like what I like and do what I want. I'm still looking into a D&T but may get a BSCAR rail for now.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:24 PM
prairie maggot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you even looked at the DIP rail? It utilizes the dovetail and a rail to mount an optic. It is rock solid and does not require D&T the receiver. I put a small piece of lead shot between the mounting screw and the receiver (to protect the finish on the receiver - totally unnecessary though) and then a dab of blue locktite on the mounting screw. It is as solid as any D&T set up and can accommodate any weaver style or picatinny rings. You can do what ever you want, but it seems like a bonehead approach ( I am sure that this is not the first time you have been told this )to something with an equally good and perhaps even better and easier solution. Here is picture of one of my 455's with the DIP rail. Burt

2019-08-26 10.40.31-1.jpg
Old 10-24-2019, 09:32 PM
DWS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rail vis D/T

Im new to the CZ game but I have been shooting Euro-schuetzen single shots for many years, in both center fire and in rimfire. I frequently will change scopes on a specific rifle depending on the type of match distance and conditions. All of the German/Swiss rifles I use from a beautiful little full blown Schuetzen in 22 short to Swiss Martinl used in ISU offhand matches in the 20's and 30's chambered for the very hot Swiss K-31 military match ammo ALL are set up for use with a machined dovetail rail in the top of the Barrel. It was used for both scopes and for highly refined "military open sights".
I have purchased rail adaptors from Steve Earle that are D/T for mounting target scope blocks for vintage and modern scopes of the Unertl/Fecker/redfield/Mitchell type that use external micrometer scope mounts. All attach to the rifles using the machined in dovetail. I have never had one come loose if properly mounted and I can interchange scopes easily with no loss of sight settings.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Crowshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It would have been smart and a good value add for CZ to have D&Tíd the 457 along with the other changes they made with the new model.
With the popularity and sure to continue growth of rimfire NRL and ELR more folks will be looking for rails so they can mount big 30-34mm rings and the less tolerance stacking the better.

Iíll be giving the BSCAR mounts a shot but would certainly prefer actually screwing it to the receiver vs tensioning it down, though Iím sure it will be fine and some purple loc-tite may seal the deal.

The new Bergara offers many advantages over the CZ in this regard as well as in other places and may put a real hurting on CZís precision trainer sales. Perhaps with CZís replacement 459 model weíll see D&T and some other updates.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:45 AM
mr2.0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie maggot View Post
Have you even looked at the DIP rail? It utilizes the dovetail and a rail to mount an optic. It is rock solid and does not require D&T the receiver. I put a small piece of lead shot between the mounting screw and the receiver (to protect the finish on the receiver - totally unnecessary though) and then a dab of blue locktite on the mounting screw. It is as solid as any D&T set up and can accommodate any weaver style or picatinny rings. You can do what ever you want, but it seems like a bonehead approach ( I am sure that this is not the first time you have been told this )to something with an equally good and perhaps even better and easier solution. Here is picture of one of my 455's with the DIP rail. Burt

Attachment 195033
so you are saying that you have never heard of DIP rail accidentally moved?
Old 10-30-2019, 02:50 AM
mr2.0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last time I check, OP is in need of pics and where to get it drill and tap. Get it straight folks
Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 PM
prairie maggot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
so you are saying that you have never heard of DIP rail accidentally moved?
Nope, never. But, I am sure that people have had both D&T mounted optics as well as pressure mounted optics move on them. With rimfire it seems that it would be the rare exception if mounted properly. I had a D&T mounted rail on a Browning BAR in .270 come loose on me about 40 years ago, so things do happen. Burt
Old 10-31-2019, 03:49 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
After much searching and talking with several places able to do this I have decided it just costs too much for the service. I'm likely just going with an Area 419 rail and low rings to mount a Sightron S-Tac 4-20◊50. If I were brave enough I'd drill/tap a rail on myself but the cost really goes up if I mess up so.....
Old 11-01-2019, 09:59 PM
mr2.0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like Area 419 designs cross pin in the rear.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:29 PM
motorcycleboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
25% (-1)
Hard to get a straight answer here.....

Quote:
Last time I check, OP is in need of pics and where to get it drill and tap. Get it straight folks
I think the dip mounting is a joke. And I have 4 of them. Other adaptors add a lot of height, too much for some.
The answer to your actual questions are YES of course you can have a smith Mount a pic rail on anything. YES it is flat on top.
Who cares if isnít ďthe average cz userĒ. That is why he is asking a specific question. Really not hard for you all to answer but you refuse. Funny stuff.