Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
O'Connor was a huge fan of the 7x57mm Mauser and claims to have written more about it than just about any other caliber.
As I recall, Eleanor used the 7mm Mauser she commandeered from Jack.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:30 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
As I recall, Eleanor used the 7mm Mauser she commandeered from Jack.
Eleanor used her 7x57mm on a variety of African game... some of it quite large The bearers who accompanied her were extremely impressed by her shooting skills.

Jack wrote that he often used a 139 grain open point bullet for deer in his 7x57 and thought it a fine round.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:53 PM
LatLongLost
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Ah, BW you bring back old memories of being in my 20’s with my Dad and Uncles hunting Elk in Utah and in Northern Arizona!

I had to go into one of my safes and pull out the pre-‘64 Winchester model 70’s owned by my late uncle. One in 30-06 and one in 300 Win Mag. Both did bring home lots of venison each hunting trip!

Sadly, I have had them for ten years or so and never shot either one! I’m not sure what to do with them since I have multiple rifles in each caliber that I do shoot.

But just the memories of the hunts with those superb ”old school” rifles are what dreams are made of!

Thanks for the memory!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:02 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Controlled Round Feed was designed by Mauser for reliability. It is more reliable than Push Feed. Military Bolt Action rifles needed it. Just because someone had a Controlled Round Feed rifle that had issues doesnít mean that it isnít more reliable.

Try short stroking a push feed and see what happens. It can, and has, happened to people under stress. There are many awesome push Feed rifles out there and very few people will be hunting dangerous game where the Controlled Round Feed has an advantage.

Like I said earlier, I have several push feed rifles like Remington 700s and Savage rifles. Iím not selling them, since they are great rifles but they arenít as good for dangerous game as the Mauser design. They are just cheaper to manufacture.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:28 AM
GAJoeinMD
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
30 cal oh yes

Today I am picking up a 47 model 70 06 at my FFL. Probably wonít hunt it, just for looking at. Most of the time I hunt my Remington 600 Mohawk 308 with downloaded 125 grain Sierras. Shoots like a 243 only more lethal. I do similar load in my Ruger 77 flattop(Baby). If you shoot Garands, be careful as they need a different recipe with that gas system.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Having been an O'Connor fan for many years and having read most of what he's written, I disagree that he favored the .30-06 while advocating the .270.
Not so. Bunch of writers who knew Jack have said it in recent years. Including an editor at Outdoor Life I knew personally. Jack's job was to sell copy. He wasn't lying about the .270's capabilities.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJoeinMD View Post
Today I am picking up a 47 model 70 06 at my FFL. Probably wonít hunt it, just for looking at. Most of the time I hunt my Remington 600 Mohawk 308 with downloaded 125 grain Sierras. Shoots like a 243 only more lethal. I do similar load in my Ruger 77 flattop(Baby). If you shoot Garands, be careful as they need a different recipe with that gas system.
Sounds like you are picking up a real gem.

Post some pictures if you get a chance.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:07 PM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel_Hoggson View Post
Not so. Bunch of writers who knew Jack have said it in recent years. Including an editor at Outdoor Life I knew personally. Jack's job was to sell copy. He wasn't lying about the .270's capabilities.
No one has said Jack lied about the capabilities of the .270. He certainly used it enough to know what it could do.

No one doubts that Jack wrote favorably about the .30-06. What I doubt is that he favored the .30-06 over the .270 by any degree worth mentioning... and I don't believe he did.

Before the arrival of the .270, Jack was a huge fan of the 7x57. Anyone who has read much of his stuff would know that.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
No one doubts that Jack wrote favorably about the .30-06. What I doubt is that he favored the .30-06 over the .270 by any degree worth mentioning... and I don't believe he did.
I imagine he had the same attitude most of us have -- use the smaller, faster, flatter-shooting bullets on deer, sheep, goats and similar, and use the bigger diameter, heavier bullets when penetration is going to be more challenging. He "favored" the .270 for some hunts and "favored" the .30-06 or others.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2bill View Post
I have fired thousands of rounds through various push feed Remington 700s with out a glitch. A few years ago I bought a new controlled round feed Model 70; it would not feed nor function until I did considerable work on it. Needing a cr feed for dangerous game is malarkey.
Most of the PHs I met in East Africa used double rifles for that very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Controlled Round Feed was designed by Mauser for reliability. It is more reliable than Push Feed. Military Bolt Action rifles needed it.
This is patently untrue. Peter Paul Mauser invented the non-rotating claw extractor because of the poor materials used in military cartridges around the turn of the 20th century. When military rifles would get dirty and/or heat up, there was a problem with extractors tearing through the rim of the cartridge, leaving a stuck case in the chamber, rendering the rifle useless for the rest of the battle. The fact that the round was captured by the extractor during the loading stroke was a very pleasing by-product of the extractor design, but it was not the primary purpose.

Last edited by FALPhil; 10-11-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
What I doubt is that he favored the .30-06 over the .270 by any degree worth mentioning... and I don't believe he did.
Someone that knew him personally, and worked with him, told me he liked the '06 more. Free country. Believe what you want.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:47 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Most of the PHs I met in East Africa used double rifles for that very reason.

This is patently untrue. Peter Paul Mauser invented the non-rotating claw extractor because of the poor materials used in military cartridges around the turn of the 20th century. When military rifles would get dirty and/or heat up, there was a problem with extractors tearing through the rim of the cartridge, leaving a stuck case in the chamber, rendering the rifle useless for the rest of the battle. The fact that the round was captured by the extractor during the loading stroke was a very pleasing by-product of the extractor design, but it was not the primary purpose.
So you are saying that he invented it for better reliability.

Iím glad we agree.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 PM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel_Hoggson View Post
Someone that knew him personally, and worked with him, told me he liked the '06 more. Free country. Believe what you want.
In 2002, Robert Anderson wrote a book about Jack's life. In it, he details the rifles that Jack owned over his lifetime. Many of them were custom built. They covered a wide range of calibers but we're concerned with .30-06 and .270.

.30-06 - There were four listed.

.270 - there were seven listed.

In addition, there were three each 7x57, .257 Roberts and .280 Remington plus larger calibers such as 300 Win Mag, 458 Winchester and 375 H&H.

The evidence suggests that Jack liked his 270's well enough to buy almost twice as many of them than the .30-06.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:33 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Iím glad we agree.
What I am saying is that the term "controlled round feed" is a phrase that was coined by a late 20th century gun writer long after Paul Mauser died.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:47 AM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
Quote:

I’m glad we agree.

Some like to forget that Mauser's real genius lay in his method of primary extraction and his magazine design, both of which have been copied by the vast majority of bolt-action rifle designers in the century-plus since he invented them.