Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:34 PM
phillipf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Front Rest Movement

Hi, just got my first Anschutz a bench rest model with the 54 action and a 2in wide
forestock and it must weight at least 8 lbs. Gun is 50 years old.
My question is I got a new Caldwell BR front rest and I got a Protektor Custom 2in
square front bag for the rest and I have it as tight as I can get it and the gun seems to be snug also but when I shoot it, it seems to tilt to the side every time so I then have to straighten the gun before I shoot again, I also use the Protecktor rear bag with the tall ears on it.
What can I do to stop this or can I ?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Ralph Spoilsport

TPC Rating: 
88% (6)
Are you holding the rifle at all when you shoot or are you shooting true free-recoil?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:35 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you should check to see if the front bag is level from the left-side vs. right-side. Level the Caldwell BR rest itself with a bubble level, and then verify that the front bag is level also.

Next time you shoot, check to see if your hand is contributing to the twist after you pull the trigger......

Take a look at some bubble levels/scope levels to make sure the rifle is on an even keel for each shot. While there are many levels, you might want to look at Accuracy 1st scope levels.

https://www.accuracy1st.com/store/ca...l.cfm?catID=65

Once you figure out why the rifle is tilting/twisting, you might want to get another front bag like the edge bag with long ears. This really grips your rifle.....

https://edgebag.com/collections/fron...12575024480355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 PM
phillipf

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Spoilsport View Post
Are you holding the rifle at all when you shoot or are you shooting true free-recoil?
My shoulder touches the stock lightly and I have a very light tigger pull on the gun so I don't think my hand causes the movement.

The Caldwell BR has a bubble level on it and I have it level, now I didn't think about checking the level of the front bag, just looks level to my eye when I put the gun in it but I will check it out, like I said, when the gun is in the bag, it seems tight, can't hardly move it by hand.

Thanks for the replies
Old 08-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Ralph Spoilsport

TPC Rating: 
88% (6)
I might try shooting without that shoulder touching at all. Just to rule out if that is causing any of the inconsistency your experencing.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:09 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipf View Post
Hi, just got my first Anschutz a bench rest model with the 54 action and a 2in wide
forestock and it must weight at least 8 lbs. Gun is 50 years old.
My question is I got a new Caldwell BR front rest and I got a Protektor Custom 2in
square front bag for the rest and I have it as tight as I can get it and the gun seems to be snug also but when I shoot it, it seems to tilt to the side every time so I then have to straighten the gun before I shoot again, I also use the Protecktor rear bag with the tall ears on it.
What can I do to stop this or can I ?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

Rather than tying to keep the rifle from tilting, get a fore-arm plate.
http://www.mwerksllc.com/plates-anschutz.php
I can only assume that your old 54 has a accessory rail, if so this is a must have if you are using a rest. Then you can concentrate on other nuances of RFBR.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:09 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Hi phillipf; I also have a Caldwell BR. Some of the rifles I have, the #2 Protektor bag is a little too wide, and the #1 is too small. Believe it or not, the Caldwell medium bag does seem to fit better. Or, let a little sand out of the #2 Protektor to help with the "snug up" in the rest. Finding out what "hold" your rifle likes best in the BR may take a while. Free recoil or one hand on the stock / trigger, or others. Ran across this and it did help me, hope it does the same for you:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-for-accuracy/
Old 08-21-2019, 07:45 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the stock has cast (deviation of the butt stock away from the center line of the barrel) it may make it less suited for free recoil shooting; some degree of grip or hold may well be needed.

ammohog's advice is worth following.

Additionally, it might be useful to try a 3" wide BR plate adapter (also called track plate) as suggested above. They are available at Brownells, Mwerks, and Whidden Gunworks.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:56 PM
phillipf

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk808 View Post
I think you should check to see if the front bag is level from the left-side vs. right-side. Level the Caldwell BR rest itself with a bubble level, and then verify that the front bag is level also.

Next time you shoot, check to see if your hand is contributing to the twist after you pull the trigger......

Take a look at some bubble levels/scope levels to make sure the rifle is on an even keel for each shot. While there are many levels, you might want to look at Accuracy 1st scope levels.

https://www.accuracy1st.com/store/ca...l.cfm?catID=65

Once you figure out why the rifle is tilting/twisting, you might want to get another front bag like the edge bag with long ears. This really grips your rifle.....

https://edgebag.com/collections/fron...12575024480355
Well guess what, I got the rest out last night and leveled the rest and the front bag was tilted up from right to left downward and that might have been the reason gun was tilting right, got that all leveled out and hopes this corrects the problem.

Ammohog's, I checked out that web site and made a copy and will try this tomorrow when I go to the range, very good article.

Not allowed to use a fore-arm plate in our match's so that's out.

Thanks for all the advice, it's all very helpful.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Density of the front bag may be contributing to the sideways rifle roll. Seems like a puny 22LR cartridge wouldnt make a heavy rifle torque over but it does. Ive got a 14ish # Martini Int. that will, and I could call right where the poi would be when I felt it torque after ignition. My set up and hold had to counteract that, when done right it was a house fly shooter at 50yd.

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-22-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:22 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
a scope level or a bubble level might still be a good idea to keep the rifle from canting....
Old 08-22-2019, 04:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What the scope bubble shows me is that after recoil in the rest set up when I 'return the rifle to battery' and it is a smidge cock-eyed the crosshairs arent even close to where I had it on the last shot. Rolling the rifle to level by the bubble brings the crosshairs into place. If not, I have wrecked my set up for one reason or other (operator error). All this is endless entertainment (for me, easily amused) and enlightening. And all this at only 50yds.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipf View Post
Hi, just got my first Anschutz a bench rest model with the 54 action and a 2in wide forestock and it must weight at least 8 lbs. Gun is 50 years old.
As others have said, most likely the problem lies with your front bag or the stock if it has lots of cast.

Eight pounds weight seems light to me for a 54 bench rifle. My 1809 is around fourteen lbs + all in, recoil is negligible off just a front sand bag so no need to re-adjust front forearm after each shot.

Giz
Old 08-22-2019, 07:29 PM
phillipf

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
What the scope bubble shows me is that after recoil in the rest set up when I 'return the rifle to battery' and it is a smidge cock-eyed the crosshairs arent even close to where I had it on the last shot. Rolling the rifle to level by the bubble brings the crosshairs into place. If not, I have wrecked my set up for one reason or other (operator error). All this is endless entertainment (for me, easily amused) and enlightening. And all this at only 50yds.
Well I thought I had it all figured out by getting the front bag level and gun straight,
I even used a new real mechanical rear rest my gun buddy made for me and this did help, but now instead of canting to the right it's canting to the left, go figure.Going to try and put some kind of stop on the bottom rail to keep gun from moving backwards and see if this helps.
After each shot, when I straighten the gun, it shoots excellent, shot 227 and 229 even with all this going on.

Thanks for all the help and yes I'm going to get a bubble level and put on the scope.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 PM
phillipf

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
As others have said, most likely the problem lies with your front bag or the stock if it has lots of cast.

Eight pounds weight seems light to me for a 54 bench rifle. My 1809 is around fourteen lbs + all in, recoil is negligible off just a front sand bag so no need to re-adjust front forearm after each shot.

Giz
I believe you are right, I really think the gun weighs more than 10 lbs, tried to weigh on bath room scale but that would't work, looking for heavy duty fish scales and use that.
What is CAST?