Is the .22LR suitable for self defense - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is the .22LR suitable for self defense

Here is a good article by the NRA on the above topic
The 22 LR for self defense
Old 08-15-2019, 10:53 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
“No more or less, than better than nothing”

In a pistol , I agree, just better than nothing. Slightly better than an unloaded gun. But in a rifle, especially a semi auto, I’d take a 1022 all day over most carry pistols . The NRA article limited self defense to CCW.

All a pistol is for is a get off of me response or get away from me response. A 22 will work , a 25 will work, a 32 will work etc.

But if someone is shooting at you from more than 25 yards away , you need a rifle to defend yourself. And while bigger is always better, A 1022 will do the job , unless they are more than 100 yards away, which then allows you your best defense, run away!
Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, who's bringing the popcorn on this one?

Big drawback on .22 for SD is the fact that rimfire ignition is not as dependable as centerfire. .25 has about the same ballistics as .22 LR, so I did move up another notch and carry .32 ACP.

I get flamed a lot for that, but I don't care. Most people consider .380 as the rock bottom choice, but .380 gives only a slight improvement in ballistics, at a cost of nearly double the recoil of .32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 11:45 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
I have read many "discussions" on the pros and cons, stopping power, shot placement, etc. Low report and muzzle flash could be a definite plus. I personally handload 9mm and .38 Spl. using light bullets and low flash powder, and consider them the smallest caliber I would use to defend myself and loved ones. The purpose of self defense is to stop the situation immediately.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Oldmountain2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well thought out response:

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...r-self-defense

In short, bad guys......
1. Don’t want to be shot.
2. Any armed target is too expensive.
3. Good time to leave!

That is exactly what I want, too.
I don’t want to ‘acquire’ the BG.
That is the Police’s job.

The above article has very good data on the .22

So is this one but a bit more controversial:

https://thesaker.is/self-defense-myt...for-civilians/

Last edited by Oldmountain2; 08-15-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Add data
Old 08-15-2019, 11:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good 22 ammo , really doesn’t have that problem today. But like any ammo can go bad if it sits around in an oily gun . I once had a revolver with 6 rounds of nice nickel plated 357 ammo go click 6 times, it had just sat in the safe too long. The rest of the Box was fine, but somehow these went bad. Back in the days when I thought oil was best applied liberally. Now-no more loaded guns in the safe. And my sd ammo gets shot once a week at the range and the mag gets reloaded.

And I’d like a 32 acp. Saw a guardian the other day, but looking for a seecamp. Right now my LCP in 380 fills the pocket gun niche.

I like little guns, but on the coffee table, not in a dark alley
Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I typically carry a .380, with FMJ. Not great like a 9mm, .40, or .45, but properly placed, gets the job done should it ever (hopefully never) comes to that. The mere presence of a gun (in my case a .380), I doubt any BG is going to debate whether it is a .380, 9mm Luger, .40, or .45: it is a gun with a fairly big hole at the end pointing at me.

Cancer and big weight/power-loss makes the .380 my choice, It is a Bersa Thunder: hefty enough to crack a skull if it came to that, small enough to fit in my back pocket. Hefty enough to where I can practice all day without having to go to a chiropractor the next day. For my 5'10 130# weakened body, it is just right.

I have a matching Bersa Thunder .22 and, loaded with Stingers or Velocitors, I would also feel comfortable with (plus it carries an extra two rounds). Not my preferred CCW, but will do the job should I ever need it (just need to aim higher after the first few rounds should they not stop the threat).

Reliability is the prime factor, and that is almost equal in terms of weapon versus ammo. I only use CCI, as it is the most reliable to me: in almost 40 years of shooting, I have had ONE FTF with CCI; zero with any center-fire cartridges.

My wife's bedside gun is a Single Six in .22WMR. I'm comfortable with that, as it is about a big as she can handle with her medical issues. And she is a dead-eye with it!

In short, a .22 - well practiced in - is far better than nothing at all. Practice misfires, and learn to empty the mag (if semi-auto) before a BG gets to you - lest it be used on you or someone else. COM at first and work your way up to a head/neck shot or two, and a .22 (particularly a .22WMR or a Stinger/Velocitor) will suffice. Carrying a spare mag typically gives you 20+1. If that many hits doesn't do the job, it is unlikely a larger caliber will with half the shots.

As they say, a .22 in your hand is better than nothing...or something better, but at home...

Last edited by RJF22553; 08-15-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You just can't beat A Jennings J22 loaded with Remington ammo.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
Thanks for making me shoot my drink out my nose.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:43 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm also in the camp of 'not reliable enough'.
We have a total of six .22 in our family...couple of bolt actions, couple of semi-autos and a couple of semi-auto handguns.
No matter what ammo we have ALL OF THEM HAVE THE OCCASIONAL FAILURE TO FIRE.
We have four centerfires...three rifle and a handgun. In probably 5000 rounds total in the centerfires we have had ONE failure to fire.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:20 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
Bwa ha ha.

Don't forget the other "ring of fire" contenders,

Raven

Lorcin

Phoenix
Old 08-15-2019, 03:23 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I say yes to this question all the time but with a couple of must haves all the time. First, you must insure that the ammo you use be something reliable and the top tier type used in competitive fields like Eley, Lapua, and such. Secondly that you must practice, practice, practice and than practice more for surgical precision.

Many of us in the shooting community fail to realize that amongst us are people with limited physical abilities or debilitating medical conditions that make it impossible and extremely painful to shoot a firearm with larger calibers.

Speaking of larger calibers, what good is a larger caliber if the recoil is so great that you miss your target. The larger calibers offer many people a sense of security that is not present especially if you practice very little because the ammo is too expensive and you do not reload or the recoil makes it unpleasant to shoot.

I normally carry a 1911 or a .357 and was surprised the other day when I shot my sisters 642 airweight revolver she carries. I missed the target at 9 feet. The gun was painful to shoot and its only a .38...wow...was I surprised to miss at that distance, and the recoils was worse than my .357 cal. 686 revolver I carry.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:23 PM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile Favorite Sandwich ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
Okay, who's bringing the popcorn on this one?

Big drawback on .22 for SD is the fact that rimfire ignition is not as dependable as centerfire. .25 has about the same ballistics as .22 LR, so I did move up another notch and carry .32 ACP.

I get flamed a lot for that, but I don't care. Most people consider .380 as the rock bottom choice, but .380 gives only a slight improvement in ballistics, at a cost of nearly double the recoil of .32.
A locked breech gun in 380 has far less "recoil" than a 32 using straight blowback . Witness the Spanish Llama , or the CZ27 and CZ24 . Compare a Remington 51 with a Browning 1910/1955 .
Old 08-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Thanks for making me shoot my drink out my nose.
I'm here to inflame and annoy!

Jimenez Lorchin Raven, all solid choices again only with Remington Ammo
Old 08-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I read in everyone of these threads of a bear getting killed with one 22rf shot, so with all these dead bears heck yeah!