Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Charger442

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T Bolt, which front sight

Bought a T Bolt that has been cut down and threaded for a can. no problem, its a regular ol' varmint model that i will shoot suppressed.

But i have a ton of 22s that are scoped and suppressed, and i need this one to be open sights for night pest eradication. I have ordered and original rear peep sight for this gun, but i need to know what i can use for the front sight that will be the correct height and give a nice sight picture.

Obviously, the new front sight will be mounted behind the threaded shoulder. Williams makes a bunch of different front sight ramps, but i am looking for some help on what to go with on the height. Not too interested in the fire sight, just want a front bead to fill the rear peep.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not sure if I can help you much, but there is some information on the Brownells website for sight height suggestions. I don't have the links, but if you do a search I am sure you can find it. You may want to call them as an option or email their tech people. Unfortunately, the few times I have tried to find the correct height sights for something it usually involves some trial and error so you many end up buying more than one sight to get it right. You could also fabricate a makeshift front sight out of a piece of wire wrapped around the barrel with a standup end. Start with a tall end point and just work it down to a height that you like and measure it to the barrel for a starting point. There are also replacement front sights available that you can file down to the proper height. Lots of ways to go on something like this, you just have to find what suits you and your rifle.

Rick H.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I think that someone who has an unaltered gun will have to provide the height of his front sight. I would then choose one that is slightly shorter.
Note: If memory serves, the original uses a blade rather than a bead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Charger442

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
I think that someone who has an unaltered gun will have to provide the height of his front sight. I would then choose one that is slightly shorter.
Note: If memory serves, the original uses a blade rather than a bead.
But the issue is the barrel went down to 16" and the factory site is for a 22"(?) barrel. Wouldn't I need a taller sight to compensate for the shorter site radius?
Old 07-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If it were mine, I would tape an upright piece of cardboard in the sight spot and do a sight in. Make it taller than necessary and trim it down to correct height as you sight in. Finally measure how high and order a sight to have mounted.

tb
Old 07-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger442 View Post
But the issue is the barrel went down to 16" and the factory site is for a 22"(?) barrel. Wouldn't I need a taller sight to compensate for the shorter site radius?
It's not about the shorter sighting radius. It's about having the sight in an area where the barrel diameter is now a little larger.An original sight would be then be a little higher, hence the advice to have a shorter one.

Let's say that the barrel diameter where the new sight would be located, is 1/16 larger in diameter than the original placement on the barrel.The new sight would have to be half, 1/32 shorter,to maintain the proper elevation.

Last edited by Camster; 07-14-2019 at 05:54 PM.