Will this shoot as good as an Anshutz? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:31 PM
layer3guru
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
343
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Will this shoot as good as an Anshutz?



Log in to see fewer ads
Stay tuned for plenty of shooting action where I will be testing a variety of 22LR ammunition to see what this Aussie likes. Leave a comment and let me know what you think, will it? If you are interested tune in to https://www.youtube.com/user/Dayattherange



Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01574.jpg (499.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01576.jpg (227.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by layer3guru; 04-24-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:04 PM
Shamokinbob

Join Date: 
Oct 2018
Posts: 
310
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I seen 22Plinkster shooting this a while back, it did fine for him
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 PM
HJA8

Join Date: 
Feb 2010
Location: 
The Land Down Under
Posts: 
1,943
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Like all mass produced fire arms - You pay your money and take your chances!

There are plenty of these getting around down here in Oz. Some have proved to be exceptional shooters straight from the carton.

Competent amateurs have done the usual bedding and trigger tweaks to improve the accuracy of these rifles.

I have two - One pretty much in stock configuration but for a trigger job. It had proved to be consistently accurate with several of the SK/Lapua offerings - Won't quite run with several Anschutz 1710's I have but an all round nice rim fire nonetheless.

I also have another with a match chambered premium after market barrel - Simply the most accurate 22 sporter I have ever owned - Consistently outshoots Anschutz, Walther, Weihrauch, Cooper and several other custom sporters I currently have here.

Good luck with it

Last edited by HJA8; 04-25-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:15 PM
Pappy67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Location: 
Pittsburgh, North Hills Area
Posts: 
6
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The timing couldn't be better. I have my eye on one of these Lithgows, and yes, I saw "The Plinkster" review. My bet is the Lithgow will keep right up with Anshutz … apples for apples, and I definitely think it will outshoot all the 1022 and CZ mods out there. Lithgow stock, against Ruger and CZ mods. For $1200 + suppressor, it is cheap enough to give it a try, and it will compete. Will it out shoot a fully custom $3k .22 …. no ….. but it doesn't make sense to me to buy a $500 rifle and put another $500 in it for mods, when you can just buy an Anshutz or Lithgow, or even Steyr and be more competitive than the Franken whatevers. Then, if you get serious, go completely custom …. and commit to the rabbit hole.
Looking forward to your video.

Buy the way HJA8 … nice review of Lithgow ….. I think it will be "match" ready right out of the box, and if it needs a trigger job, no biggie.

Pappy

Last edited by Pappy67; 04-26-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:42 PM
HJA8

Join Date: 
Feb 2010
Location: 
The Land Down Under
Posts: 
1,943
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pappy - Run a "Lithgow" search on this forum - A number of us from down under and NZ have posted quite a bit of information plus various "tweaks" we have done to wring out the best in these rim fires.

Check out rifle fourth from left - It has a bit of competition in this line up - Without question the most accurate here and I have others (mostly German stuff)which can't match it either.

This is by no means a factory rifle though - Built to my specs by an experienced rim fire smith and I have a lot more than the value of a 17XX Anschutz in it.



Last edited by HJA8; 04-26-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:24 PM
Pappy67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Location: 
Pittsburgh, North Hills Area
Posts: 
6
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HJA8 ...… Beautiful line up of rifles. I noticed there are no uses of cans of any kind. Do you believe they effect accuracy or POI? I don't think Lithgow are popular, as well as many other "good" rifles, due to the expense. The rimfire participants are primarily in it for fun … it is inexpensive, cheap ammo, even if it is Eley etc., and no re-coil. The older I get, the less I like recoil. Even with handguns, sold all the cannons, just own 9mm & .22LR now.
Thanks for the comeback.
Pappy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:53 PM
No1_49er

Join Date: 
Jan 2015
Posts: 
53
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy67 View Post
HJA8 ...… Beautiful line up of rifles. I noticed there are no uses of cans of any kind. Do you believe they effect accuracy or POI? I don't think Lithgow are popular, as well as many other "good" rifles, due to the expense. The rimfire participants are primarily in it for fun … it is inexpensive, cheap ammo, even if it is Eley etc., and no re-coil. The older I get, the less I like recoil. Even with handguns, sold all the cannons, just own 9mm & .22LR now.
Thanks for the comeback.
Pappy
Pappy, unlike NZ (which unfortunately has its own problems at the moment ), Australia has extraordinarily strict "rules" governing the ownership/use of sound moderators . Politicians, and their law-maker minions, seem to have created law on the basis that (1) they are 'silencers', and (2) they are therefore evil. The pollies probably suffer these fantasies by watching too many movies.
With respect to sound-moderators, quite the opposite applies in NZ. It's seems to be the case that to use a rifle without one, the user is almost some form of social pariah. They are completely unregulated, and therefore used extensively
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:00 AM
Peebles24
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2018
Location: 
Rosedale, IN
Posts: 
45
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy67 View Post
The timing couldn't be better. I have my eye on one of these Lithgows, and yes, I saw "The Plinkster" review. My bet is the Lithgow will keep right up with Anshutz … apples for apples, and I definitely think it will outshoot all the 1022 and CZ mods out there. Lithgow stock, against Ruger and CZ mods. For $1200 + suppressor, it is cheap enough to give it a try, and it will compete. Will it out shoot a fully custom $3k .22 …. no ….. but it doesn't make sense to me to buy a $500 rifle and put another $500 in it for mods, when you can just buy an Anshutz or Lithgow, or even Steyr and be more competitive than the Franken whatevers. Then, if you get serious, go completely custom …. and commit to the rabbit hole.
Looking forward to your video.

Buy the way HJA8 … nice review of Lithgow ….. I think it will be "match" ready right out of the box, and if it needs a trigger job, no biggie.

Pappy
Pappy i think you hit the point. I bought a savage mark 2 with a goal of shooting competition. Ended up having more than the cost of a lithgow in the savage and still wouldnt hold under MOA consistently. I ended up buying a used custom that can compete for not much more than i sank in the factory gun. If someone wants to honestly ahoot competition they should start with a custom and be done. A anschutz 54 for nearly the price of a new custom might compete as it came from the factory. I think these lithgow are absolutely beautiful and might shoot as good or better than a annie 64 and id be interested to find out.

Chad
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:29 AM
HJA8

Join Date: 
Feb 2010
Location: 
The Land Down Under
Posts: 
1,943
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles24 View Post
I ended up buying a used custom that can compete for not much more than i sank in the factory gun. If someone wants to honestly ahoot competition they should start with a custom and be done. A anschutz 54 for nearly the price of a new custom might compete as it came from the factory. I think these lithgow are absolutely beautiful and might shoot as good or better than a annie 64 and id be interested to find out.
Chad
My hobby is building accurate sporters - I've been down this road with various actions and have owned Anschutz 54's for decades - IME, it's quite doable to build a sporter which will outshoot the "average" 54. There are exceptions to every rule though. The quality of the barrel, who fits it & the ignition are the keys - There's a Savage second from the left in the above pic which can hang with the 54's in that line up.

As for the LA101 keeping pace with a 64 - I only had 1416 sporters and based on my very limited samples (a couple of each), the Lithgow is competitive - An MPR would give the Lithgow a run though.

Strictly a personal observation based on experience.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 AM
layer3guru
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
343
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
beautiful set of rifles.

I am anxious to get out this weekend and I have some eley tenex to try in it along with other ammo to see how it shoots.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger 10/22 Step by Step FlysAlot Factory Stock 10/22's 277 02-23-2019 11:23 AM
RFC Fun Shoot NEW Rules/Classes SmallCal Fun Matches 98 01-26-2019 07:42 AM
Ammo testing the DJ Special CZ 455 Kodiakco CZ / Brno 37 11-08-2017 10:03 PM
TGF Brno/Mauser 410B/Win 52 Sporter Shoot Out Goes Horribly Wrong TEDDY BEAR RAT CZ / Brno 60 12-30-2013 02:42 PM
52C Shorts-Only Sporter Range Report: Lil' Bit'O Good, And A Whole Lotta Ugly TEDDY BEAR RAT Winchester 52 10 08-17-2012 10:13 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x