Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:00 AM
carbonbased
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Adding weight to stock via cerrosafe?

Hi fellow centerfire fellows!
The backstory: Ive got a nice CZ 527 .204 that I shoot prairiedogs with. Very fun!

However the gun is too light. I see maybe 50% of the hits (the long ones) due to recoil. The gun needs a heavier stock! The OEM stock has little room to drill and add weight, plus I dont really like the shape for bench shooting. So I bought a nice walnut Boyds Pro Varmint.

Going to have my gunsmith glass bed it and add weight. I asked about lead, but he countered with something called Cerrosafe, which is usually used to cast chambers, I guess. Cerrosafe has lead in it, but melts at a lower temp. He was planning on pouring it into a channel that was factory cut in the forearm, above the two sling studs (about 1.5W x 5L). If that doesnt help enough, then Id have him drill into the butt and pour it into there too.

My questions are: is this a good idea? Will Cerrosafe split the wood? With pure lead, I know one can split the stock due to heat. Ive read people pour lead into a pipe, then drill a slightly bigger hole and plug it with plumbers putty so it is removable. If Cerrosafe is poured directly in there, I think it would be hard to get out, if need be.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:37 AM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lead shot works too.
Hole in the butt with a rubber stopper driven in behind it so it doesn't shift around.
Same for the forened and just add Elmer's glue to make it a homogeneous mass. Easier to get out later if you don't like it.
Which ever method you end up using, just make sure it balances at the center.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
Lead shot works too.
Hole in the butt with a rubber stopper driven in behind it so it doesn't shift around.
Same for the forened and just add Elmer's glue to make it a homogeneous mass. Easier to get out later if you don't like it.
Which ever method you end up using, just make sure it balances at the center.
I agree with you. This will add the most weight, no heat is involved, and it would be removable without a lot of trouble in the future if you change your mind.