Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:09 PM
trfrake
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Possible 5mm combo

I have a chance to purchase a 591 with an extra mag and 10 boxes of white box. Price is 700. The stock has been hand checkered, which I'm not crazy about. Talk me into it.... or tell me I'm nuts!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not crazy about the stock, no. At present no new ammo available, if the 10 boxes with the rifle shoot poorly. Any proof of accuracy available? Before the Centurion ammo was produced these rifles could be purchased for what they sold for in 1970.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Shortfuse

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Break it down $100 for the magazine $400 for the Rifle $200 for the ammo ($20 a box )it's a no brainer spend the dough Bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 06:51 PM
92lowrider

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Unless your a big fan of Remington or the 5mm in general I'd pass. For the money you could get a CZ455 with a 22mag bbl and a 17hmr bbl and have the best of both worlds over the 5mm. A 22mag when a heavy hitter is needed and a 17hmr for flat trajectory long range shooting. You would also be able to buy ammo.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 PM
trfrake

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92lowrider View Post
Unless your a big fan of Remington or the 5mm in general I'd pass. For the money you could get a CZ455 with a 22mag bbl and a 17hmr bbl and have the best of both worlds over the 5mm. A 22mag when a heavy hitter is needed and a 17hmr for flat trajectory long range shooting. You would also be able to buy ammo.
Well I am a fan of "old school" Remington. And I'm a huge fan of the the 5mm. I own 22mag and 17hmr but they have collected dust since I bought my first 591. I guess my hang-up is that checkered stock.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:53 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Ammo seems to be $30+ these days. Magazine prices are dropping. $50-70 for a mag. Checkered stock hurts value unless well done. Price seems a little high to me. I sold my 591 and kept a nice 592. No magazine worries now. Great jackrabbit hunting rifle!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:21 PM
trfrake

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update! So I go look at this gun expecting to just buy the ammo, because of the hand checkered stock. I'm blown away! The quality of this job is amazing. If you didn't know better, you would swear it's factory. The fore-end has been worked down, as well as the trigger. To make it even stranger.... 4 inches of barrel has been removed. It has a beautiful crown job. I get him down 100 on his package deal, and purchase another 10 boxes of white box. Bring it home and straight to the range. It shoots half inch groups at 50yds. I know it has no collectors value, but a gun this pretty that shoots like this will be one of the last to go!
Old 03-21-2018, 04:35 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That 20" barrel and a good crown is probably why it shoots that well. Skinny barrel B Mag owners should take notice, they are dealing with 33,000psi too!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on a new rifle!
Old 04-05-2018, 12:17 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congradulations

While I don't think I will ever get the urge to buy a 5mm, I would be interested to shoot one. The 5mm craig conversion had caught my attention before the 17 hmr and 17 hornet came into this world. What kind of performance are you guys getting with them that gives advantage over the 17 hmr? I would be concerned about long term ammo prices and availability.

However, 2 things.

1. If you have extra money to burn and you get $700 of enjoyment out of it, then good deal! You can't take the money with you.

2. A rare quality rifle will usually hold its value or increase, but as others have said, value may be affected by future ammo availability.

If you are ever worried you will take a beating on the rifle purchase down the road, refer to point #1!
Old 04-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
While I don't think I will ever get the urge to buy a 5mm, I would be interested to shoot one. The 5mm craig conversion had caught my attention before the 17 hmr and 17 hornet came into this world. What kind of performance are you guys getting with them that gives advantage over the 17 hmr? I would be concerned about long term ammo prices and availability.
Its a hunting rifle caliber that rivals the 17WSM ammo performance. Accuracy is usually less than the 17HMR from what I've read and with mine.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Turboshaft
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
So where are the photos already?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trfrake View Post
Update! So I go look at this gun expecting to just buy the ammo, because of the hand checkered stock. I'm blown away! The quality of this job is amazing. If you didn't know better, you would swear it's factory.
Bring it home and straight to the range. It shoots half inch groups at 50yds. I know it has no collectors value, but a gun this pretty that shoots like this will be one of the last to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboshaft View Post
So where are the photos already?
Yeah that!!
Old 04-12-2018, 03:54 PM
trfrake

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry guys, I don't have the "know how" to upload. It says the pics need resized!?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I load from my puter and I think RFC does an auto resize?
After clicking Post Reply scroll down a little to Manage Attachments, click, and go from there. They say non paying members have a very short amount of pix allowed so it should work, probably, maybe?