> >22 Hornet vs 22 K Hornet - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

That's how to starts. Next thing you know you are sorting 5,000 cases by weight, uniforming the primer pockets and flash holes and neck turning the cases in the lots in the middle of the distribution for match use.

Then you find your self indexing the cases from firing all the way through the loading process...

It never really stops.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM-UMC View Post
Why not just buy a 221 fireball then? I never really got the reasoning behind all this extra work just to come close to what's already there that's factory available??? Maybe because some people think it makes them feel custom??
When Lyle Kilborn invented the K-Hornet there was no 221.

I have been shooting and loading the Hornet and the K Hornet for a long time, since 1975 I guess. The K is easier to load for and in break action rifles and pistols the brass will last longer. Loaded properly in a Bolt action Hornet and K Hornet case life should be about the same and if not you are setting your dies up incorrectly.

My K Hornet was a 10" Contender barrel. I am thinking of rechambering my daughters H&R SuperLite to K Hornet as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 AM
HenryLover
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thinking about purchasing a 22 K Hornet.

This week I saw a beautiful falling block modified 22 hornet at the gun show. A local dealer that I have known for 50+ years had it on consignment.
The falling block had been re-bored for the 22 K Hornet which gives me cause for concern. Then there is the cost of the 22 K bullet at around $35/ box of 20.
I no longer hunt and target shooting at $1.75/round is very expensive.
I could find a Ruger #1 in .223 that is a bit cheaper to shoot.
How about some advice from the old time 22 Hornet shooters.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:43 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont see much, if any down side to a K-Hornet. You can neck size only to improve accuracy, improve case life and not have to worry about which version you are shooting.

If you do not want the hassle and bother of reloading then just shoot the gun and forget about it.

Sure, 223 is more practical, that is how I went. That is 22 rim fire magnum, then 223 for next step up. That does not take away anything from splitting the difference or owning all three.

Last edited by fourbore; 01-25-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:02 AM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I went from 22mag to k hornet (same barrel) and it added 100yds of woodchuck kill zone, but still able to load down to shoot squirrels at 22lr velocities. Super efficient using 13grs to get rocking velocities. After barrel went bad I got a 17HH. Its nice but loved the K. Never needed a fireball, had a 222, and now have a 223. No need.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:38 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT TRAPPER View Post
Just curios. What do you riflemen think of this caliber? I recently made a suprising discovery after buying what I "thought" was a .22 HORNET> till the casing hit the cement. I was like....what the?? I looked around, wondering if I got the wrong shell. I didnt even know this caliber existed till then. Any opinions would be appreciated. I thought I was gonna own two .22 HORNETS. Now it seems I own a "K" also .....Good or Bad?
While there is nothing really wrong with a .22 K-Hornet as I also owned one several years ago. However, the performance difference in a regular .22 Hornet vs a K-Hornet is very little, and really not worth the expense of re-boring a regular to the "K". If one desires more performance than a regular .22 Hornet, they should invest in a hotter .22 centerfire, like the .221 Fireball or .222 Remington or one of the other .22 centerfires.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 AM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Exclamation

IMHO its worth it simply for brass life...

The minor vel improvement is appreciated but not really worth it for what you get. (If all you got I mean)

Mine shot lil better after the re chamber. its dead easy re chamber too!

the fact that you can shoot factory is also huge!

JUST DO IT!

CW
Old 01-27-2018, 05:17 PM
HenryLover
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My final decision and why..

My age is now preventing me from hunting. So that leaves target shooting for me and my shooting buddy. I have always been a 38-357 fan and that draws me to explain the following.
I have a good deal of 38 super, and 357 ammo. My stash is all new ammo and I have depleted the reloads. I shoot weekly and I burn a ton of ammo on each outing. I am trying to stay with that ammo. I sold all of my Henry lever guns and all of my AR's. I found a Ruger # 1 in 357 with scope rings on line. I decided to go with that to keep the cost of the ammo down for target shooting. I'll have to add a scope and I am looking forward to getting my old hands on the falling block within a few weeks. I certainly appreciate your help, but the ammo was the deciding factor as the rifle was a beauty.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:01 AM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother DRS; You are missing the point of a k hornet. It fills a niche. Its a great 22mag at less than half the cost to shoot. Its a great squirrel gun loaded to 22lr velocities and can use cast bullets. Its a great woodchuck gun out to 250yds. Its way better than a 221, 222 or 223 around cattle, rural areas or neighbors. You get 500+ to 700 shots per lb of powder. You get to watch impact thru scope. Guess I would have to ask why get a 221 when you can have a k and a 223 it can't do what either of these can. A modern name for a k might be 22 super mag. I think it cost me $25 to rent a reamer and I chambered barrel by hand. I saved that in first hundred rounds at a time when 22mag ammo was harder to find than susquach. The k hornet is just a sweet little gun to shoot.

Last edited by thesandman; 01-28-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:12 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
Brother DRS; You are missing the point of a k hornet. It fills a niche. Its a great 22mag at less than half the cost to shoot. Its a great squirrel gun loaded to 22lr velocities and can use cast bullets. Its a great woodchuck gun out to 250yds. Its way better than a 221, 222 or 223 around cattle, rural areas or neighbors. You get 500+ to 700 shots per lb of powder. You get to watch impact thru scope. Guess I would have to ask why get a 221 when you can have a k and a 223 it can't do what either of these can. A modern name for a k might be 22 super mag. I think it cost me $25 to rent a reamer and I chambered barrel by hand. I saved that in first hundred rounds at a time when 22mag ammo was harder to find than susquach. The k hornet is just a sweet little gun to shoot.
Like I said in my post: there is nothing wrong with owing a .22 K-Hornet. However, the best improvement made would just about duplicate the .218 Bee, with the correct powder/bullet weight combination. If the .22 K-Hornet was superior to the .22 Hornet, why wasn't it offered as a factory load? The advantage I see, the K-Hornet is one is able to still fire factory .22 Hornet ammunition and form .22 K-Hornet ammunition. Personally, I once had a Winchester Model 70 re-chambered in .22 K-Hornet, but really couldn't see and advantage. Now if you would re-bore a K-Hornet to a .25 caliber you might have something different, that would make a good Small Game cartridge as well as a Varmint cartridge, even with a cast gas-checked .45 grain bullet. If one is looking for a higher velocity .22 centerfire then I'd go for a .221 fireball or one of the other larger .22 centerfires.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 PM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother DRS; I've never heard of anyone state that a k wasn't a improvement, until now. Since I never owned a 22 hornet or a 221 fireball (nor ever wanted to) I will yield to your expertise. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:11 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I personally would rather do the K for brass life, but I have neither caliber yet. The necks on the 22H are known to split very easily. A number of old timers warned me away from the 22H for that reason. If you didnít reload it might be an option. Happy with my Bee and Fireball and adding a new Triple deuce tomorrow do I have no want as of yet for a K.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 PM
LHitchcox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I dont see much, if any down side to a K-Hornet. You can neck size only to improve accuracy, improve case life and not have to worry about which version you are shooting.

If you do not want the hassle and bother of reloading then just shoot the gun and forget about it.

Sure, 223 is more practical, that is how I went. That is 22 rim fire magnum, then 223 for next step up. That does not take away anything from splitting the difference or owning all three.
The only drawback to a K Hornet is that it is a reloader only proposition. As far as I know no one loads factory ammo for it.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM-UMC View Post
Why not just buy a 221 fireball then? I never really got the reasoning behind all this extra work just to come close to what's already there that's factory available??? Maybe because some people think it makes them feel custom??
Cause you already have the Hornet. Ackley and others come up with all the improved cartridges back when people were much more frugal, why buy a new gun when you can make the one you own better.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
The only drawback to a K Hornet is that it is a reloader only proposition. As far as I know no one loads factory ammo for it.
As already explained, you simply fire factory Hornet ammo, very little difference accuracy wise.