Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:34 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington Express Air Rifle

I am a believer in you get what you pay for with many things in the airgun world and by and large I am not a big fan of the cheap airguns.

Having said that every so often you find the hidden gem, for me this has been a rifle known as the Remington Express.

Despite the prestigious Remington name tag, this is a Chinese built air rifle that has been badged for them and unlike some of the items badged up for other companies is actually a pretty decent air rifle.

The rifle is a fairly basic break barrel action, for once not a direct copy of anything else, but close examination of it shows it takes inspiration from the offerings of two respected German gun makers, Weihrauch and Diana.

Overall the action takes a lot of inspiration from the HW95, the barrel lock up system and breech face is more Diana.

It comes with open sights, these are fibre optic type and mostly plastic, functional but basic.

Trigger is a genuine two stage unit, not a direct copy of a Rekord, but clearly inspired by it.

Out of the box the settings are not brilliant but with a little adjustment it easily beats the hell out of any Gamo or Hatsan trigger, go a bit further with a strip, polish and re-lube and it gets pretty close to the HW Rekord trigger in performance.

The safety catch operates the same as an HW item, but the Express has a neat trick up its sleeve, you will note there is a lever attached to the safety button, rotate this up and rearwards and the safety re-sets.

A similar idea was made by V-Mach some time back so it looks like the manufacturer saw that and copied it into this rifle.

The firing action out of the box is actually quite respectable, but as with any halfway decent spring rifle, can be improved upon with a little light fettling and quality lubrication.

Barrel lock up is a ball detent system as per Diana air rifles and is positive without being ridiculously difficult to open.

Overall finish is very respectable, not high class super polished, but good and seems durable.

The stock is a simple design, it appears to take inspiration from centrefire sporting rifle styling with a good height straight comb that is usable with the open sights or a scope on low to medium mounts.

The reach to trigger is fairly long with the standard blade, but I have gotten used to it, however making a set back trigger blade would not be difficult.

In the UK, these rifles retail at around the 150 mark, it comes as standard with a 4x32 scope, mounts and a gun bag so a fair bit for your money.

One comment I would make is that the supplied mounts aren't great, so I added a better set of mounts to my rifle and changed the 4x32 for the 3-9x40 as seen in the picture above.

The 4x32 was actually OK but I prefer the slightly higher mag scope, hence the change.

So how does it shoot?

Well at 25 metres, shooting off a bench with a sand bag to rest my hand on, with JSB Exacts it easily keeps pace with my HW95K with groups of 10 shots running under 10 mm, I haven't tried it at longer distance yet but based upon my observations at 25 metres I think it will be a respectable performer.

At the price they are a lot of kit for the money and in my opinion beat the hell out of the likes of Gamo for quality.

Last edited by rockdrill; 09-03-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Made a quick search and could not find a manufacturer, other that Remington?

If it is their new design, and their entrance back into air guns, sorry they didn't build it here, though that doesn't make it inferior..........
Old 09-03-2019, 12:39 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen many Chinese air rifles marketed under the Remington, Winchester and Ruger names. Some are pretty decent copies of famous german air rifles. A friend has a Ruger Blackhawk that is a dead on copy of my Diana Model 34 and shoots just as good! The trigger is not as good as the TO6 on the Diana, but it is a decent and very controllable trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 12:39 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well done review. Certainly seems yours is above the curve for the price range.
Did you pull it down to do the typical innards tune?
Any actual chrono results? I recently did all of mine (might as well, I had the Chrony rig set up and they all needed exercise anyway), some were close to the mfg claims, others not.
Btw, in spite of me being in the USA I prefer the Brit velo's, Im not a hv air-gun fan.
My HW97K in .22cal. does 680fps with H&N FTTs and is cutting cloverleafs at 30yd. scoped and benched. The late model of the early RWS 45 IN .177 IS 830, faster than I like and a fair bit of spring twang and harder to cock than a break barrel should be.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Well done review. Certainly seems yours is above the curve for the price range.
Did you pull it down to do the typical innards tune?
Any actual chrono results? I recently did all of mine (might as well, I had the Chrony rig set up and they all needed exercise anyway), some were close to the mfg claims, others not.
Btw, in spite of me being in the USA I prefer the Brit velo's, Im not a hv air-gun fan.
My HW97K in .22cal. does 680fps with H&N FTTs and is cutting cloverleafs at 30yd. scoped and benched. The late model of the early RWS 45 IN .177 IS 830, faster than I like and a fair bit of spring twang and harder to cock than a break barrel should be.
I have had the rifle apart to give it a good clean, re-lube and tune.

It wasn't bad straight out of the box, but I just wanted to see how good it could be.

As we have a power limit for air rifles here in the UK (12ft.lbs), I set it to give me around 760 fps with an 8.4 grain pellet.

I would estimate from the swept volume of the cylinder you should be able to comfortably get over 800 fps from it without it being unpleasant.

I agree with not liking high velocity, however, I would qualify that by saying if a rifle is properly designed for higher power levels then they should be pleasant enough to shoot, e.g the HW80, or Beeman R1 as I understand it would be recognised in the US was designed to run around 20 ft.lbs energy, and it does this very nicely, by contrast the weak sprung UK import version of the HW80 feels clunky and sluggish to shoot.

I look at the marketing blurb for some of the cheap airguns where velocities of 1000fps plus are claimed and just have a chuckle.

High velocity with most of these just means you can miss the target quicker.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:11 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
Made a quick search and could not find a manufacturer, other that Remington?
Hardly surprising, how many 'badge engineered' items do you find with the actual manufacturers name on them or information about who made it for the brand?

I am complimenting this rifle because I think it is a lot better product than has been encountered in the past from Chinese manufacture.