GSG 1911 22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GSG 1911 22

I recently had the opportunity to check out the GSG 1911 22. It feels just like a standard 1911 but has a light slide and a heavier frame. It takes about 80% compatible parts with the standard 1911.

I decided to try one. I have a couple of tricked out Ruger Mark IV 22/45s and really like them but I wanted something different to play with and for under $300 why not try it?

Trigger pull after testing 10 dry fires with my Lyman Electronic Trigger Gage ran just over 5 pounds. A little heavy but it hasn't been shot yet and they say it will get better with age. Ha Ha !

Has anyone had a chance to play with one of these? What are your opinions. From the reviews I've seen on line and at YouTube it looks like a fun toy.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:26 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I handled one at a show. I was tempted. It seemed pretty well put together. If I still shot a real 1911, I'd have likely bought it.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:07 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yep, have had mine for going on 2 years but not shot a lot so likely still breaking in. It likes to be run wet, but not dripping. All Ive been using is HV bulk pack, mostly the plated bullets. Decently accurate in the playing around Im doing these days. I wanted a 1911 in 22, tired of big bores and chasing reloading brass.
Early versions had some issues, later have worked out most though individual guns can still be cranky.
The sights are plastic, do not over torque the locking screw
The barrel doesnt float, it is locked down in back to the frame and the barrel bushing looks the same but functions a bit differently.
It is a 'series 80' design and anyone familiar with working on the s-80 1911 can work the trigger. Mine has been 'cleaned up'/simplified but still has a bit of 'disconnector click'. It functions somewhat as my first stage at this point and breaks clean soon after.
I fit a set of 1911 G10 grip panels, only had to relieve the right one a bit more for the ambi-safty. The grip screws are metric, you have to change the screw bushings for trick screws; some say the bushing threads now are metric also. I dont know, I used the oem screws.
There is a fair amount of info online and some specialty suppliers of various parts. The 80% interchangeable thing is kind of optimistic, imo.
I like mine but friend Charlie recently got the Walther version and likes it better. After a few years we may have some comparison conclusions.

Last edited by gcrank1; 07-21-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 10:31 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up i had one 5 years

early model, made 2011. took 500 + rds to break it in and become reliable. accurate enough, I added a full length guide rod, that helped it be more reliable. older ones were bad about peening the slide hold open notch, steel part into aluminum slide! I understand newer ones had a steel insert to fix the problem. I bought a walther/colt .22 1911 gold cup, much superior to the gsg. I ended up trading the gsg on a new ruger MKIV stainless target, kept the colt. for the money the gsg is a blast to shoot, feels like a real 1911.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:39 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The 'pin' didnt fix it, still peens the notch; never had the old one without so maybe it isnt as bad or, maybe it does just so much and stops. I recently just peened the lip back down with my tiny hammer.
I often avoid getting to the hold-open so the slide stop doesnt engage after an empty magazine. Keeping track of my round count I stop shooting with the last round fed in chamber, drop/insert new mag and rock on. This cuts the engagement in half.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:26 AM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got one when they first came out. Mine is a satisfactory plinker. I wouldn't hunt with it or shoot serious target. It's ammo sensitive. It's worth what I paid.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:17 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Unhappy not a fix huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
The 'pin' didnt fix it, still peens the notch; never had the old one without so maybe it isnt as bad or, maybe it does just so much and stops. I recently just peened the lip back down with my tiny hammer.
I often avoid getting to the hold-open so the slide stop doesnt engage after an empty magazine. Keeping track of my round count I stop shooting with the last round fed in chamber, drop/insert new mag and rock on. This cuts the engagement in half.
my walther / colt gold cup has a reinforcement in the slide notch, it hasn't peened, thank goodness. I like the colt pistol much better, sold my gsg.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:34 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
bushing screws are metric also

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Yep, have had mine for going on 2 years but not shot a lot so likely still breaking in. It likes to be run wet, but not dripping. All Ive been using is HV bulk pack, mostly the plated bullets. Decently accurate in the playing around Im doing these days. I wanted a 1911 in 22, tired of big bores and chasing reloading brass.
Early versions had some issues, later have worked out most though individual guns can still be cranky.
The sights are plastic, do not over torque the locking screw
The barrel doesnt float, it is locked down in back to the frame and the barrel bushing looks the same but functions a bit differently.
It is a 'series 80' design and anyone familiar with working on the s-80 1911 can work the trigger. Mine has been 'cleaned up'/simplified but still has a bit of 'disconnector click'. It functions somewhat as my first stage at this point and breaks clean soon after.
I fit a set of 1911 G10 grip panels, only had to relieve the right one a bit more for the ambi-safty. The grip screws are metric, you have to change the screw bushings for trick screws; some say the bushing threads now are metric also. I dont know, I used the oem screws.
There is a fair amount of info online and some specialty suppliers of various parts. The 80% interchangeable thing is kind of optimistic, imo.
I like mine but friend Charlie recently got the Walther version and likes it better. After a few years we may have some comparison conclusions.
but sae thread bushings screwed right into the aluminum frame. worked perfectly , but no going back to metric , the deed is done !
Old 07-28-2019, 02:43 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a GSG, like it a lot. Bought it on a whim for a good price and it quickly became my favorite.22 handgun. Reliable and accurate. Biggest complaint is the finish. As the frame and slide are alloy, the finish is a coating. Wears off easily.

Don’t shoot it as much as I once did. Bought a Kimber rimfire target and it gets more use. These days, I usually shoot the GSG suppressed. Nice host for my Surefire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 576924F9-F5AE-40D5-8BCB-F2D01EA831E1_1564339271626.jpg (522.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 PM
JEC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
AZSHOOTER, my GSG likewise had metal shaving buildup inside the slide after its maiden voyage of 300 or so rounds. I scrubbed the shavings out with a brass brush, removed all the interior overspray with steel wool, lubed it up, reassembled, and crossed my fingers. That was 1000 or so rounds ago and it was the last I saw of the metal shavings problem.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 AM
lordmorgul
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GSG 1911 22

I bought a GSG 1911-22 used, an older model that didn’t have the tweaks in slide size and coating overspray. Polished the slide rails myself to remove that stickiness, and it runs very well now. Have heard reports that newer ones do not need that work but I’d probably do that anyway.

I have and recommend CW Accessories accelerator kit with the aluminum guide rod.

I have Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight with their rear sight replacement, and enjoy that a lot.

I added COOL HANDS slim G10 grips, and like them just as well as the slim VZ Grips Operator II grips on my SA MC Operator.

I lightly grease the 45 slide (like all my other semi auto pistols) but the 22 does not like that and needs lighter oil.

Recommend not using / pushing the slide stop after reloading, use a slingshot pull on the slide because the soft metal of the slide wears badly at the slide stop over time.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Last edited by lordmorgul; 08-01-2019 at 11:05 AM.