Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:00 PM
olafhardt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Plain Old 10 22

I bought some of the Talo 10 22's because they were so cool and pretty. I also got a bunch of parts and put together bull barrel tack driver. Somewhere I realized that I was seeking the plain old 10 22 I had years ago and sent down the road. So I bought one from Buds. Now I realize that just the plain old 10 22 is in fact one of the slickest guns ever built. No bull barrel, no fancy stock, no replacement trigger, no big fat scope, no long magazine hanging down. The only add on is a cool little William's peep sight. The US army taught me to love peep sights! The only other things to add are ammo and a squrrile or tin can or even just some clods of whatever. I like the barrel band and the wood stock. I think I may represent a silent but large group of shooters.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 PM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They are great right out of the box. That said I don’t think I’ll ever have one without a few mods: Auto bolt release, scotch Brite inside receiver, trigger job or BX, and an aftermarket receiver. Once you experience those, it’s hard to stay pure stock....

Edited to add - I meant to say aftermarket "charging handle" not "receiver" -- big difference!

Last edited by jam_ppp; 02-16-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:01 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
They are nice rifles, but I prefer to watch for like new condition 10/22s from the first few years of production.
If they are available at reasonable prices, I jump all over them.

The Overton walnut stocks, real Lyman sights, anodized receivers, higher polished blued barrels etc.

What is not to like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thatís how I felt after I used my original Tupperware carbine for a target build. I missed that little shooter. So I bought a few more. All eventually got tweeked out of stock condition. Now Iíve got a little two tone, black receiver, blue barrel in a Tupperware stock. I call her the silver demon. Sheís already got an enhanced trigger, a silver oldtime metal trigger group with what I believe to be a volquartsen trigger kit up grade.

Iíve never had a wood stock carbine. I have a delux sporter, and a model 1159 rifle in wood, and those are in line for a few more upgrades and changes, new GM barrels in the house, a 20 inch std taper and a 24 inch Running Boar.

But my little plastic carbine from buds , started all of this for me, and I sure do miss it.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:56 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
They are nice rifles, but I prefer to watch for like new condition 10/22s from the first few years of production.
If they are available at reasonable prices, I jump all over them.

The Overton walnut stocks, real Lyman sights, anodized receivers, higher polished blued barrels etc.

What is not to like?
This is the only one I have and I love it! 1966 standard 10/22
Old 02-15-2019, 09:28 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
This is the only one I have and I love it! 1966 standard 10/22
They donít make them like that anymore.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:57 PM
olafhardt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remember in the early years one writer commenting on the futility of add ons because it was such a light, handy, reliable rifle. Another article I read said the writer had been assigned by his editor to write a trouble shooting guide for the 10 22. He said this was a very difficult project because nothing ever went wrong with them. Now I am of the old school that figures the purpose of 22 autos is to hit pop can sized targets at 35 (or what ever) yards and do it time after time. I love to plink and see the target bounce. I don't think I will be doing any mods to mine. It is fine like it is. And I will feed it Wallyworld specials. But I do enjoying reading about you guys pursuit of perfection as you see it.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:38 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I've done exactly what you're saying..
After 43 years...
I've had my old carbine..
Built up many bull barrels.. sporters..
And then ?
Gathered all my original parts . Sent to Randy at CPC..
I have my old 10/22.😁
And shoots great !.. there's my old carbine on the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190211_162628_1550205370312.jpg (476.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:33 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
I've done exactly what you're saying..
After 43 years...
I've had my old carbine..
Built up many bull barrels.. sporters..
And then ?
Gathered all my original parts . Sent to Randy at CPC..
I have my old 10/22.😁
And shoots great !.. there's my old carbine on the bottom.
It's nice to own a 'sleeper' that looks factory, but runs and shoots great!
CPC takes the gun Ruger made, and blueprints it into the gun Ruger SHOULD have made! All seven of my 10/22's have been sent there. Some jammed, some weren't that accurate... and the rest I sent before firing a single shot through them. lol

Best 'bang for the buck' you're going to find in the land of firearms! For the $200 you pay, you get EVERY single part of the gun worked over! If you throw a hodge podge of aftermarket parts together, it's NOT guaranteed to work. Been there, and had the Jam-o-Matic to show for it. A trip to Randy at CPC makes everything all better again!

Good Luck!

Last edited by n2omike; 02-15-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:39 PM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
If the basic 10/22 carbine moves you, then that's the right choice for you.

Thankfully there are lots of options available, both factory specs and "personalized".

I'm swapping stocks on my non-mannlicher stocked 10/22 sporters to the American style synthetic stocks with the length and comb height modules.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:27 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It is hard not to 'mess' with one.....its just Too Easy.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:29 PM
t4daddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ha, I just did the same thing. My next to last build has two factory parts, the TG cross pins, Kidd barrel and trigger group, Feddersens receiver, JWH bolt with custom benchrest stock. My very last (number eight) is 100% factory Ruger. I had a older walnut carbine stock and a metal TG, that I did a homebrew trigger job on, but looks wise she's stock.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:42 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post
They are great right out of the box. That said I don’t think I’ll ever have one without a few mods: Auto bolt release, scotch Brite inside receiver, trigger job or BX, and an aftermarket receiver. Once you experience those, it’s hard to stay pure stock....

I don't know?
I wanted the upgrades.. but I also wanted to keep the "factory stock look"
Your right, hard to keep bone stock.
But I think mine looks so stock 90% of people looking at it couldn't tell the difference..?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 AM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
[QUOTE=olafhardt I think I may represent a silent but large group of shooters.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree as I've come full circle in the 10/22 department. I appreciate a stock 10/22 and actually prefer that and the simplicity that goes with it. I will polish and tweak the trigger a bit and some peep sights, but that's it for me.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:00 PM
CSG
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
I bought some of the Talo 10 22's because they were so cool and pretty. I also got a bunch of parts and put together bull barrel tack driver. Somewhere I realized that I was seeking the plain old 10 22 I had years ago and sent down the road. So I bought one from Buds. Now I realize that just the plain old 10 22 is in fact one of the slickest guns ever built. No bull barrel, no fancy stock, no replacement trigger, no big fat scope, no long magazine hanging down. The only add on is a cool little William's peep sight. The US army taught me to love peep sights! The only other things to add are ammo and a squrrile or tin can or even just some clods of whatever. I like the barrel band and the wood stock. I think I may represent a silent but large group of shooters.
I agree completely. I have a 1990 era SS model on a birch stock. That thing has traveled all over the west with me and has a Simmons 4x scope mounted. My other straight up 10/22 is the walnut stocked Sporter Deluxe which also has a Simmons 4x scope. My newest, however, is a takedown with a 16.4 threaded barrel, hi-vis sights, and mounted on an OD green Magpul Backpacker.

All shoot well enough although I did change out the trigger group on the TD with Ruger's BX. That rifle just has the open sights and I like the easier trigger for this one.

Last edited by CSG; 02-16-2019 at 07:16 PM.