Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:51 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Any love for the Polychoke?

I grew up on a Winchester model 12 which was cut down to 22" and had a Polychoke brazed on. Yesterday I shot it for the first time in nine months or so. Got 23 out of 25 on trap. Enough to make me happy and upset a few.

For years I cringed when I saw a nice shotgun with one. I was convinced it was ruined. It was a ugly thing that didn't work well. Now that I have aged and shot the Model 12 some more, I rediscovered just how practical Polychokes are. The one I have is marked 1, improved cylinder, 3, modified, 5, and full.

Recently I have had a crazy idea. I am getting a 870 barrel within the next week or so. I planned on having the barrel cut back to 26" and have it threaded for standard choke tubes. Now I am wondering about having the barrel cut to 22" on this as well and have one of these added so I don't need to goof around with tubes. The 22" barrel was just fine for trap and five stand so I am not concerned with the length being too short for all three games here. The walnut stock cavity has been filled with shot, and a 12 oz lead weight has been put in the magazine tube so it would swing just fine.

Does anybody else here like these things? Sure, they are far from elegant but they just work. If I decide to do this, does anybody have a source for a brand new non vented Polychoke assembly? I would like the brazed on kind, not the screw in but with a front bead or bead hole. I would prefer to not have the Polychoke 2.

I hope to not have a mob come after me for admitting my fondness for this device. If nothing else comes of it, a thoughtful discussion on the topic could be nice. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My dad had the lyman cutts compensator on an auto 5. Not sure you could find a new one. might be able to find a barrel and all easier. There was one version that automatically tightened the choke up after each shot.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Squirrelhunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Always intrigued by adjustable chokes, I virtually fell in love with them after playing around with a Mossberg 385K with Mossie's patented C-Lect Choke

Though they have long since fallen out of mainstream favor, I too enjoy the built-in utility of such a device. By comparison, screw-in choke tubes come off crude & relatively impractical. Don't get me wrong, if you want the ability to change out one very specific choke for another for certain tasks, screw-ins are great; for practical, versatile work in the field, they are simply no match for an adjustable choke

Unlike many, I actually think adjustable chokes have a...'functional elegance' to them, and look good on numerous shotguns (on Mossberg bolts, they give an air of express/anti-tank rifle ). Despite claims to the contrary, most users (myself included) find them, when properly made/installed, to pattern just fine for most uses. I bet a good working Poly or C-Lect Choke would pattern better than a large majority of factory-spec screw-in tubes today...

Unfortunately, I can't help with adding a true Poly-Choke to your barrel. According to what I've been reading over on SGW, Poly-Choke is going out of business, so short of being able to get something to them before they fold up/ get sold, a custom/big gunsmithing outfit might be the only thing I can think of, if they have anything in stock of course...
On the other hand, you might be able to find an 870 barrel pre-fitted with one if you look around enough....I didn't find anything on a quick Ebay & Gunbroker search, but I'm sure they are out there. There are guns too; there is a 12 gauge 870 on GB now with one: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/705500019

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

P.S. Another option might be to find a Poly, used or new, on Ebay or someplace else online, and have a gunsmith install it for you. A fellow on BushcraftUSA apparently bought one on Ebay for $50 and paid a local 'smith $100 to cut down his barrel & install the choke.

Last edited by Squirrelhunter; 10-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 08:53 PM
damonkeydobad
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
yes i have one on my model 12 in 16 gauge on a 20 frame it is my all around best shotgun.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I'm glad that I am not alone. You are right though, I would be better off finding a barrel with one installed already. MUCH cheaper. I would be in at over $150.00 easily if I were to find one then have a smith install it. I was thinking of maybe a Cutts as a substitution as I can find them easier but at that point I should just switch from flush to extended tubes.

If I find a shorter 870 barrel with any of the above I will pick it up. They are undesirable to most and priced better.

Now that I know 22" is actually long enough for anything I have or will shoot I am trying to figure out what length I will have the barrel cut. I had a 28" barrel on it, and I didn't like it. Too long, a little cumbersome. Additionally, I shoot a Remington 11-87 with a 26" barrel and that handles great. I am torn between 25 and 26".
Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My father's 12 ga. poly made my left ear ring, even more than it did before. Fit me well for wing shooting but I sold it to someone with better hearing.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I was given a Ithica 37, barrel was cut back a bit and a adj choke was installed. Former owner was an avid rabbit hunter. It has become my rainy day grouse and woodcock gun. The o/u stays dry and the old war horse comes out. It seems like its indestructible.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:00 AM
ngzcaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyBassets75 View Post
I grew up on a Winchester model 12 which was cut down to 22" and had a Polychoke brazed on. Yesterday I shot it for the first time in nine months or so. Got 23 out of 25 on trap. Enough to make me happy and upset a few.

For years I cringed when I saw a nice shotgun with one. I was convinced it was ruined. It was a ugly thing that didn't work well. Now that I have aged and shot the Model 12 some more, I rediscovered just how practical Polychokes are. The one I have is marked 1, improved cylinder, 3, modified, 5, and full.

Recently I have had a crazy idea. I am getting a 870 barrel within the next week or so. I planned on having the barrel cut back to 26" and have it threaded for standard choke tubes. Now I am wondering about having the barrel cut to 22" on this as well and have one of these added so I don't need to goof around with tubes. The 22" barrel was just fine for trap and five stand so I am not concerned with the length being too short for all three games here. The walnut stock cavity has been filled with shot, and a 12 oz lead weight has been put in the magazine tube so it would swing just fine.

Does anybody else here like these things? Sure, they are far from elegant but they just work. If I decide to do this, does anybody have a source for a brand new non vented Polychoke assembly? I would like the brazed on kind, not the screw in but with a front bead or bead hole. I would prefer to not have the Polychoke 2.

I hope to not have a mob come after me for admitting my fondness for this device. If nothing else comes of it, a thoughtful discussion on the topic could be nice. Thanks in advance.

I can offer a little first hand experience. Being near the end of my shooting career I bought a Remington 1100 just because I never had a S/A before, always had singles, SXS, and pumps. Armed with only a little info I go in a LGS and see an 1100 in fair used condition w/ a Herter's adjustable choke sitting on top. Didn't bother me that it was on, in fact I thought hey, even better for block shoots to clays ( that I never shot until last year but I wanted to try it ) so I bought it for $ 265 if I recall correctly. Took it to the range and tried to see where the pattern was going. At full choke at 25 yards the pattern was around 6 to 8 inches low and close to a foot off to the right. Nice pattern, just off. Way off.. Tried the other choke settings, all decent patterns but the same low and right pattern persisted.
Making a long story short, I cut the barrel just in back of the choke ending up with around a 26 in barrel and a shotgun that shot dead on aim. The choke was improperly installed as was the extra wide vent rib ( ever so slightly canted to the right ) Someone went to a lot of expense for the rib and the choke, shame it didn't work out. I now use it for clays and it works pretty good. If I was 40 years younger I'd be thinking a second barrel or have tubes installed on this one. It's shot twice a year when I go out to my son's home so that will probably not happen.
If properly installed I think they could be a real asset if one doesn't mind it sitting on the barrel. I liked the patterns it was throwing. I still have the choke if anyone is interested.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:47 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I inherited a Remington model 11 in 20 gauge when I was 15.
It had a Polychoke on it.
I patterned it and could see no difference in pattern no matter what setting the Polychoke was on.
I'm glad it has worked for others, but mine was just an ugly weight on the barrel.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Mossberg 500 that came with a 28" modified choke vent rib barrel and an 18.5" cylinder barrel. I had the 28" cut down to approximately 20" and a Poly Choke installed along with a tritium bead. The rib was a factor in the cut length. It is a do everything gun. Bird shot to slugs with no tools needed. The vent rib hides the blob so there is a smooth transition. The rib will also take clamp on turkey (open) sights and the receiver is drilled and tapped.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Any love for the Polychoke?
No
Old 12-14-2018, 04:45 PM
grgsailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ditto NO! At auctions, a poly choke gun will bring about half of a gun with a solid barrel of any choke size. Gun shows are loaded with poly choke guns for years.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Coyotehunter444

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had an old Mossberg 20 ga bolt with one, very easy to use and handy. I used to duck hunt in a swamp with about a mile walk through the woods so a twist of the choke I had an open choke grouse gun when I got to the swamp I twisted it again and had a tighter choked duck gun
Old 12-15-2018, 09:43 AM
shootbrownelk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had an old H&R single barrel 20 gauge that I had cut to 18" and added a Polychoke. It was my truck gun for years, the choke worked fine with shot . It shot Foster slugs pretty good to when the choke was fully opened. No complaints.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:52 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've been wanting to buy a Ithaca 37 or Remington model 31 lately. Right now I know of where both are right now cheap because they have adjustable chokes on them. I don't mind the looks as long as it is a low profile style and the barrel has a rib. The price has to be much lower than the norm but gun stores generally price it that way. The model 31 I found is immaculate for about $225 so if I don't like it I could cut it off and choke it.