Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

MKII questions for the experts

6K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  Empe 
#1 ·
Won an auction and along with the S&W 622 I was after also got a Ruger standard and MKII. I have no experience with these guns but took them apart and cleaned them up and listed the MKII for sale. Met a guy to make the sale but he politely declined due to some things he saw on the gun. The frame to slide fit on the left side appears to vary in the gap that runs along the gun...and looking at the gun from behind where the bolt/frame/upper meet appears to be uneven with the left side having a slight gap. Also he noticed on the back of the gun where the takedown lever is, the frame is more elevated on one side than the other. So is this an issue of me putting it back together incorrectly, a real problem with the gun, or just the way they are? Don’t want to repost it for sale if I don’t feel good about the condition. Gun seems to function smoothly but I have not shot it.

Attaching some pictures and hope you can see what I mean. If not tomorrow I will use some MS paint action and circle the issues.

Appreciate any advice!

Thank you
Dale

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
This is one of the most nit picky threads I've read here. If that gun fires without issue, I'd just enjoy it. The Ruger Mark II was never meant to compete with the fit and finish of a Smith and Wesson 41. That is a standard model. It was a direct buck mark competitor. Maybe $200 to $250 new back in the day. A minor blemish here and there is not a big deal unless you are obsessing about every little scratch on a working gun. It is not a pristine example, but it is an excellent one no less.

#32 ·
I sent three barrels to Ruger a few months ago to have them D&T'd and when they came back, I may have switched two of the frames by mistake. Upon re-assembly one of them had gaps like in the OP's original photos showed along the sides of the frame and the barrel rocked back and forth a bit. After a bit of research I found that this is not uncommon with older models which have been disassembled for cleaning many times which can cause the frame to bend outwards a bit. The remedy was to carefully squeeze the frame sans barrel in a vise a little at a time until the gap is reduced and the wobble disappeared. After doing this, I was back to having to use the mallet to tap the barrel back onto the frame and it lined up level again.

#35 ·
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my seconding of rc's comments. All I am saying is that when I saw the first pictures that the OP provided, my first thoughts were, "what a nice Ruger MKII, blueing appears to be almost 100 % and there doesn't appear to be hardly any wear whatsoever". And then when I saw some follow up pictures I didn't see much to make me change my mind. I don't know if the OP intends to contact Ruger or not, but I hope so. That's about the only thing that is going to give us much more of a feel about the situation. Best wishes on a satisfactory outcome for the OP.:bthumb:

#36 ·
We all have different experiences and certainly, differences of opinions (a very good thing)! :t

Dale (seems to be a busy person) does need to answer some of the questions posted...like did that gap pictured exist before being torn down? Till we get a response to this and other member questions posted, it is difficult to offer better (if any) answers to the issue at hand.

If "Shipment to Ruger" is the best scenario, then that option does exist! Maybe, some of us have taken this situation "too curiously" in trying to offer the OP some solutions!?! IMHO however, if a member chooses to ask, then they need to be ready to participate in the feedback dialogue!! :rolleyes:

Everyone have a Safe and Happy 4th!!! :bthumb:

Ted

#38 ·
I appreciate all the responses no matter how long it takes me to check them!

So I did take the gun out and ran 3 brands of ammo...50rds total and it ran great and shot great.

Honestly the looks don't matter to me as long as it is safe to shoot. I had not intended to keep it but at this point it seems like the smarter option rather than sell it at a discount. I will get some more pictures later and try and catch up on the questions.

#39 ·
I appreciate all the responses no matter how long it takes me to check them!

So I did take the gun out and ran 3 brands of ammo...50rds total and it ran great and shot great.

Honestly the looks don't matter to me as long as it is safe to shoot. I had not intended to keep it but at this point it seems like the smarter option rather than sell it at a discount. I will get some more pictures later and try and catch up on the questions.
Dale,

Understand...life goes on, sometimes with little breaks! :t

As RC and WP stated, if it loads rounds great and shoots straight (POA), not much more to ask for! Looks don't mean anything, unless down the road you have issues.

Is it a "normal" situation? From the responses you see, it's not and the reasons help has been offered. If you want to take it further, hopefully in time you'll be able to help the membership help you!! :bthumb:

Ted

#46 ·
Finally got around to sending this pistol to Ruger...gotta say I appreciate their customer service! After just about 1.5 weeks from the day I sent it the gun to Ruger I got it back. Gonna run some ammo through it when I get home today and see if it is a keeper! Only thing I had to pay for was the shipping cost to Ruger.

Thank you to everyone on this thread that gave advice, opinions, and suggestions!

Included is a picture of the notes that came alone with the gun explaining what was replace/repaired.

Attachments

#48 ·
Sounds like you got plenty of stuff for that shipping fee. IIRC it is only $30?

I have an ejector that is slightly loose, and thought about sending it back to Ruger. Then I got thinking maybe just get it blued at well, since there is some wear at the back of the frame. And then maybe get it drilled and tapped while I'm at it.

But if they are going to give me a bunch of free internal wear parts, that makes it even better really. :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.