Biathlon Basic Scope Mounting the cheap way. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-06-2020, 01:25 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Biathlon Basic Scope Mounting the cheap way.

I got tired of waiting on the 90 dollar bases, so I started looking. I had a 1 inch scope, but I like using 30 mm rings and a spacer for non marked scopes. What I used is a set of offset rings from Weaver, 30 MM, and some 30 MM to 1 inch spacers, shown below.

As assembled....

and a better view.....

The costs was less than 40 bucks, the scope is close to the bore, plenty of eye relief adjustment, and , well, it just looks good too !!

Your thoughts and experiences may vary......

Last edited by gr8guns; 11-13-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:38 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
I got tired of waiting on the 90 dollar bases, so I started looking. I had a 1 inch scope, but I like using 30 mm rings and a spacer for non marked scopes.What I used is a set of offset rings from weaver, 30 MM, and some 30 MM to 1 inch spacers, shown below.

The costs was less than 40 bucks, the scope is close to the bore, plenty of eye relief adjustment, and , well, it just looks good too !!

Your thoughts and experiences may vary......
gr8---Nice job! I used pretty much the same set-up on mine, but went with cheapo (cheaper?) Weaver "Quad-Lock" 1" extended ring set #49048. No inserts, same eye relief and so forth. I lapped my rings in, though, to be sure NO ring marks on my Leupold VX2 3x9EFR scope. Those inserts on your ring set make lapping them in unnecessary, but the rings do cost a bit more than the Quads. There is a pic of my 7-2 rig somewhere here on RFC, too lazy to look for it.

As an aside, it looks like you have a bit more forward adjustment available on your scope if more eye relief is necessary. That's a good thing. I have mine just about maxed out (the scope as far forward as possible) to have good eye relief for me.

Where did you get those 30mm to 1" spacers? Did they come with the Weaver rings?

Last edited by Triggershoe; 11-06-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:27 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
gr8---Nice job! I used pretty much the same set-up on mine, but went with cheapo (cheaper?) Weaver "Quad-Lock" 1" extended ring set #49048. No inserts, same eye relief and so forth. I lapped my rings in, though, to be sure NO ring marks on my Leupold VX2 3x9EFR scope. Those inserts on your ring set make lapping them in unnecessary, but the rings do cost a bit more than the Quads. There is a pic of my 7-2 rig somewhere here on RFC, too lazy to look for it.

As an aside, it looks like you have a bit more forward adjustment available on your scope if more eye relief is necessary. That's a good thing. I have mine just about maxed out (the scope as far forward as possible) to have good eye relief for me.

Where did you get those 30mm to 1" spacers? Did they come with the Weaver rings?
No. The rings are simply 30 MM rings. The inserts are from Aliexpress, and they

are decent quality. There are many sources that sell them, but I have found these

to work really well. The ring set is #49150, and the inserts are about 85 cents per ring delivered to my home.

Last edited by gr8guns; 11-06-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2020, 12:12 AM
USGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only issue if not using QD rings, you'll have to remove the scope using tools to remove bolt for cleaning. Also, the scope might be seating too far back. For me it was a problem. I end up mounting "BUGSBUSTER" with Leapers QD rings (very affordable). Rifle feels and looks much better. Do not like reticles, but that is acceptable compromise for me. I posted my setup somewhere here a while ago. Now I think that old china Red Star x4 scope should be even better for this rifle unless you will go for 200 distance.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:54 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
Pardon my ignorance but where did you get the base?
Old 11-07-2020, 06:18 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
Pardon my ignorance but where did you get the base?
Travelor---The base is the "factory" unit that comes installed on the 7-2's as delivered from Izhmash. You DO need to use the extended ring sets indicated in the above posts to make these bases usable. Adequate eye relief is the main issue, and the extended ring sets are the solution for most folks without going to a full length aftermarket scope rail. I have a Leupold VX2 3-9EFR mounted on my 7-2, using the Weaver extended rings, and it's a very usable setup.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:50 PM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been thinking about either of these, as a inexpensive alternative

Old 11-13-2020, 10:15 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Tried one of those, no......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMike View Post
I've been thinking about either of these, as a inexpensive alternative

If the screws extend past the bottom of the rail, like normal rings do, they wont work. The two screws do not match the slots in the factory base as far as center distance.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:34 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did yours come standard with that piece of Weaver rail?
- On mines, the rear section of the action is grooved for 11mm sight
Old 11-13-2020, 03:51 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMike View Post
Did yours come standard with that piece of Weaver rail?
- On mines, the rear section of the action is grooved for 11mm sight
You have a different receiver than I do. Your model number may be different.
If you have a grooved receiver you can find all kinds of adapters. Aliexpress is rife with them.

Good luck ! My little rifle shoots bugholes with good ammo.