Glock 44 question - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:17 AM
mart
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

One of my friends has a small gun shop with a range on his property. A bit of a drive but I’ll have him adjust the rear sight and can shoot right there and make further adjustments as needed. He has the Glock tools to adjust the sights. He also is over run with feral rabbits. He wants me to shoot them all. I got four yesterday after I got done helping him with some roofing.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:57 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Made the mecca hope to pick one up in Anchorage on monday. Had about an hr to shoot it yesterday and have a few thoughts and questions.

Bought it for its similarly to my carry glocks, and to use as a high volume blinker. I've got a solo boat transport coming up that's 22 hrs long and won't be near people for 18 of the 22 hrs. Managed to pick up a bucketo bullets and 7 bricks of automatch last week, should tide me over for the trip. Didn't buy this to shoot premium ammo, it's to plink out the window of a boat in the waves.

Prepped for the range trip watching the various load tutorials on how they are a little finicky to load. Dug up my pile of snap caps and ran 10 mags of snap caps through getting the grit outta the trigger. Then loaded the mags to let then sit overnight.

First 4 mags were federal black pack, all ran like a top, my only lament was how fast ten rounds went and how bad a factory glock trigger is. (My first g22 was second hand and the po hadn't shot it much but had but tritium sights and a nice trigger in it, factory on the g44 is a but worse)

Mag next was 100rounds of golden bullets, not a good batch either. On the same day my most reliable 1022 had 2x stovepipes out of 100 rounds from what were audible squibs. Pistol flat out wouldn't do a mag without at least 2x cycle issues. One mag flat out won't load 10 without the first round taking a nose dive into the feed ramp. It runs 9 just fine but not 10. The other would do ten with no dive. Over the next 30 minutes I burned the remaining 100 rounds and didn't have a single mag with less than 2x failures usually double load stovepipes. switched to automatch and pulled up the little clip about loading mags.

Automatch did better but still had at least one issue per mag and never completed a full run without. The one mag wouldn't load 10 with automatch either. After 6 mags I gave up and went to try the ammo in my 1022, 4 mag dumps without a hitch..... bilge water...

Trip to the truck to find some mini mags and wolf mt. Mini mags got one mag in 5 to cycle, still only get 9 in the other mag gave up on it and tossed it in the bag. 4 of the 5 minimags had issues usually between 3 and 7. Doesn't jam in the last 3 or first two, all bets are off in between. Didn't bother running the wolf, after 200 rounds of practice clearing jams I was done. Stole the mark 3 hunter off my buddies bench and ran 5 mags of automatch without a hitch....

The only other glock I've purchased new was my wifes 42, it's near 2k rounds with no malfunctions to my memory. My others were trump slump sub 400$ classifiedfunds, non have had a single issue. One 22 with a 9mm conversion survived a Tula round that tried to explode the gun, scared me but it still ran like a top.

Question for all of you

Try different ammo?
Fiddle with mags?
Look for defects inside?
Send back to glock?

I've not been this disappointed with a gun since my pmr had its slide fly off the frame in the middle of a squirrel shoot.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:41 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Well that's discouraging Comfisherman. I don't know if this Youtube video will help any but I do it after every load, just takes a second or 2 and I haven't had any problems with malfunctions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5DLcXoDPiE

Frank
Old 10-22-2020, 03:15 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
It has 10000 views, I swear that half of them are from me in the last three days.....

Its how I get the one magazine to function fully, the other gets er done with 9 with the shimmy shake.

Doesn't fix the mid magazine jams with three different hi velocity ammo. Traveling now, but will try and fiddle with it to try early next week. Going to pull it apart, runs some grease and check for any burs or wear. Shot a bit over 200 rounds yesterday any funky wears spots should begin to be visible.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:00 PM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
It has 10000 views, I swear that half of them are from me in the last three days.....

Its how I get the one magazine to function fully, the other gets er done with 9 with the shimmy shake.

Doesn't fix the mid magazine jams with three different hi velocity ammo. Traveling now, but will try and fiddle with it to try early next week. Going to pull it apart, runs some grease and check for any burs or wear. Shot a bit over 200 rounds yesterday any funky wears spots should begin to be visible.
I don't know what to say about your failures other than try different ammo. I have had the best luck sticking with 40 grain ammo. I even have 4 ProMag (yes I said ProMag) 18 round magazines that function just as well as the OEM mags do. I think that I have had about about 7 failures to eject and 2-3 failures to feed in a little over 5,000 rounds through my G44
Old 10-22-2020, 11:20 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
That's what I'm hoping its capable of. Right now its whatever ammo you get not whatever you want. Had hoped this would digest everything like the mk3 seems to.

Found a bunch of non hp mini mags to try tomorrow. Hope to get it sorted before the pro mags get here.

I'll say this, it makes the advantage arms kit not look like garbage. Probably owe them an apology.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:36 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Up to about a thousand rounds through mine, a mix of ammo including some subsonic...zero jams, thanks for having my share.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:33 AM
RCoop
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got up around 1000 rounds through mine also. Only Magazine problem has been with the Pro Mag. It functions fine just hard to get all 18 rounds in it. With the factory mags I've had no issues. If you can't get all ten in a factory mag then it's got a defect.
Only issue with mine has been ammo related. Sub sonic, and the 36 gr it doesn't like. As I've said in other posts it eats CCI 40 gr blazer and Fed AM like candy. I've only shot it once in a speed steel match and used that ammo without a hiccup. That was 125 round match out of 5 OEM mags. Hope you can get your bugs out.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:10 AM
BillC27

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought mine in early September. Seems to work well, but got new sights from Glock (free) because POI was high and left. Had some issues with SK auto ammo...1 jam for each mag. I had no problems with Fiocchi, Aquila, or CCI.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
Made the mecca hope to pick one up in Anchorage on monday. Had about an hr to shoot it yesterday and have a few thoughts and questions.

Bought it for its similarly to my carry glocks, and to use as a high volume blinker. I've got a solo boat transport coming up that's 22 hrs long and won't be near people for 18 of the 22 hrs. Managed to pick up a bucketo bullets and 7 bricks of automatch last week, should tide me over for the trip. Didn't buy this to shoot premium ammo, it's to plink out the window of a boat in the waves.

Prepped for the range trip watching the various load tutorials on how they are a little finicky to load. Dug up my pile of snap caps and ran 10 mags of snap caps through getting the grit outta the trigger. Then loaded the mags to let then sit overnight.

First 4 mags were federal black pack, all ran like a top, my only lament was how fast ten rounds went and how bad a factory glock trigger is. (My first g22 was second hand and the po hadn't shot it much but had but tritium sights and a nice trigger in it, factory on the g44 is a but worse)

Mag next was 100rounds of golden bullets, not a good batch either. On the same day my most reliable 1022 had 2x stovepipes out of 100 rounds from what were audible squibs. Pistol flat out wouldn't do a mag without at least 2x cycle issues. One mag flat out won't load 10 without the first round taking a nose dive into the feed ramp. It runs 9 just fine but not 10. The other would do ten with no dive. Over the next 30 minutes I burned the remaining 100 rounds and didn't have a single mag with less than 2x failures usually double load stovepipes. switched to automatch and pulled up the little clip about loading mags.

Automatch did better but still had at least one issue per mag and never completed a full run without. The one mag wouldn't load 10 with automatch either. After 6 mags I gave up and went to try the ammo in my 1022, 4 mag dumps without a hitch..... bilge water...

Trip to the truck to find some mini mags and wolf mt. Mini mags got one mag in 5 to cycle, still only get 9 in the other mag gave up on it and tossed it in the bag. 4 of the 5 minimags had issues usually between 3 and 7. Doesn't jam in the last 3 or first two, all bets are off in between. Didn't bother running the wolf, after 200 rounds of practice clearing jams I was done. Stole the mark 3 hunter off my buddies bench and ran 5 mags of automatch without a hitch....

The only other glock I've purchased new was my wifes 42, it's near 2k rounds with no malfunctions to my memory. My others were trump slump sub 400$ classifiedfunds, non have had a single issue. One 22 with a 9mm conversion survived a Tula round that tried to explode the gun, scared me but it still ran like a top.

Question for all of you

Try different ammo?
Fiddle with mags?
Look for defects inside?
Send back to glock?

I've not been this disappointed with a gun since my pmr had its slide fly off the frame in the middle of a squirrel shoot.
Sorry you are having problems. I am surprised you found one for sale, or any handgun for that matter, in Anchorage. The display cases are empty at Great Northern Guns. Break it in with Mini-Mag solids and make sure you use a firm grip. The G44 is so light it needs to be held tightly to cycle properly.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:43 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Good point about limp wristing Mike.

Wouldn't think that was the case with Comfisherman but anything is possible.

Frank
Old 10-23-2020, 09:43 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Saw a G44 for sale at the LGS yesterday and a Ruger Lite Rack LCP .22 at Academy, surprised to see them both.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:23 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Sorry you are having problems. I am surprised you found one for sale, or any handgun for that matter, in Anchorage. The display cases are empty at Great Northern Guns. Break it in with Mini-Mag solids and make sure you use a firm grip. The G44 is so light it needs to be held tightly to cycle properly.
Great northern is the only place that restocks slower than sportsman's warehouse. Alaska ammo had a 44 and lite rack. The 44 was a bit over map the lite rack was actually under 300. Some funny things from hitting up the shops yesterday. Boondocks had rifles but no pistols, Alaska ammo had pistols including lots of glock but only a single marlin 60 for rifles. Artic ammo was empty compared to normal but had an even mix and some hard to find stuff. Sterling thought ahead early and ordered big, it's my opinion that it's the best shop all round in the matsu.

Might be limp wristing it.... but it's not probable. My first purchased pistol was a 500 smith.... kinda developed holding on tight early on. That and 3 other pistols were shot that day including a tcx and those functioned in my oven mitts.

Found 400 round nose mini mags. I'll try and squeeze some in today.