A New "TWIST" On WeedEater Trimmer Line And Bore Cleaning - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:17 AM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A New "TWIST" On WeedEater Trimmer Line And Bore Cleaning

I have a big, twin line weed whacker, and I was looking for a bigger line for it.

After reading the reviews, my evaluation showed the MAXPOWER Twisted Trimmer Line to be what I needed.

Well, it turns out that this line has a cross section that looks like four smaller lines twisted together.
(It is really one solid, but, it looks like four smaller lines)
It ends up that the shape looks like a square, and the shape of four lines are twisted .

MAXPOWER's dimension of 0.130 is the measurement across the "flats" of the square.

When you measure across the "diagonal" of the cross section, the trimmer line measures 0.175 inch.
The 0.175", plus the patch thickness, is a perfect fit for a 22LR bore.

This trimmer line is REAL STIFF, and it looked like I could push it through a 22LR bore, without the line bending, or jamming,,

I was going to clean a 22LR pistol anyways, so I thought I would try pushing this line through the bore.

I wet a 1" square patch with Hoppes, and pushed the patch through the bore with the trimmer line.

The trimmer line worked perfectly,,
Because of the lines size, and cross section shape, it is plenty strong enough to push a patch through a gun bore.

No trimmer line modification was necessary, Cut to length, and use.

No heating, no shaping, no pointing, nothing,, just a perfect size for pushing a patch through a 22LR bore.

I did find a 1" round patch was a little easier to use, than a square one.
The square patch needs quite a bit of effort to get the patch started, the round patch was easier to start.

Both round and square were about the same effort, once the patch was fully in the bore.

So, pushing a patch with a plastic trimmer line? Could there be any downside to using this?
Old 09-10-2020, 01:30 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neat idea. Have to see how it does on a rifle barrel. Maybe that's your next test?
Old 09-10-2020, 02:06 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
It's plastic so no it won't cause any damage to a steel barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have to try that. No shortage of trimmer lines to play with.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It won't hurt a thing unless someone tries to large of a patch and gets it stuck.

I've been pulling patches with weed eater line for a few years, no harm, and it hasn't been degraded by # 9. I don't know if any other solvent may degrade it.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:21 PM
Bwana_1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I use solid weed wacker line, how does one secure the patch to the line ?
Old 09-10-2020, 03:45 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana_1 View Post
If I use solid weed wacker line, how does one secure the patch to the line ?
I do not attach the patch to the line, I simply drape the patch over the end of the line,,
like a table cloth at an expensive restaurant,,

(When was the last time anyone was at a restaurant?? )

That is what is different about this line, it is so stiff, you can push the patch through the bore, and the line does not buckle, bend, or get jammed.

It is kinda like an aluminum cleaning rod, that you can roll up, and toss in your range bag,,
Old 09-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Appalachian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a few of them. I use them when at the range. I melt one end and stick it in a spent shell while still hot to make a plug to hold the patch. I sharpen the other end so the patch will thread easy. I’ve made about a dozen of them and have given a lot of them away at the club to people when they ask me what I’m using.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:38 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
It's plastic so no it won't cause any damage to a steel barrel.
You're right, the plastic itself will not damage the steel of the barrel.

Be careful to wipe down the plastic frequently to clean it thoroughly, as the plastic can pick up and embed other debris from cleaning the chamber and barrel. It's the other junk embedded into the plastic that you have to worry about scratching the steel barrel.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:43 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
completely off the subject

That new-fangled twisted weedwhacker line may indeed be better somehow than the plain old round stuff, but I kinda resent not even being given the choice anymore. All I know is that the new stuff does not feed well from the spool of my weedwhacker. I went searching for the old round stuff and all I could find on store shelves was the fancy new stuff....and it was, of course, much more expensive.

My cheapskate side is showing.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:55 AM
Appalachian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferDave View Post
That new-fangled twisted weedwhacker line may indeed be better somehow than the plain old round stuff, but I kinda resent not even being given the choice anymore. All I know is that the new stuff does not feed well from the spool of my weedwhacker. I went searching for the old round stuff and all I could find on store shelves was the fancy new stuff....and it was, of course, much more expensive.

My cheapskate side is showing.
I’ve noticed this too. I prefer the round line. It’s easier to load and it feeds better and lasts longer.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:13 AM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I have been using the Patchworm PULL through for several years. Super handy for range cleaning of 10/22s. I will be interested to hear the OPs results when trying to PUSH a patch the length of a barrel. I can accept that it worked in a pistol length barrel. A rifle may be a more daunting challenge. Please do report your results.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:54 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you’re going to move a patch through a barrel with any significant pressure against the side walls and rifling to do any real cleaning, do you need a button that is sized properly and pulling is the only way to go, IMO & IME. Check the sticky at the top of this forum for an extensive pic heavy tutorial on how I make them. Been down this road over 30 years of experimenting, and in my experience going with anything larger than the .095” Gatorline that I use, you cannot generate sufficient heat for adherence of the button to the line to pull with any serious resistance with a tight patch. A .19-.20” button will pull with an audible “SQUAWK” sound, and the pressure generated pushes the patch material deep into the rifling and can get a bore surprisingly clean, which I’ve proven time and time again with a borescope. Certainly NOT sufficient to REPLACE a rod and brush by any means, but definitely well enough to reduce the number of times that you have to give them a scrub down. I always use cotton flannel patches, and it helps immensely to harden the pointed tip that you poke through the patch using liquid UV glue.

Respectfully,

DrGunner