MK iv pin walking out - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:53 PM
specs1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MK iv pin walking out

Having a problem with my Ruger MK IV Target. When I shoot it after about 40 rounds the pin that looks to be securing the bolt stop pin backs out about an eight of an inch. It always backs out on the left side and no more than an eighth of an inch.
Watching the YouTube of a total disassembly and reassembly it would seem it is the Bolt Stop Retainer Pin Retainer spring, part 41 in the manual schematic. I just use a flat punch to push it back in. It functions fine.
Can this spring be removed without a total frame disassembly? Should I be concerned?
Old 10-10-2020, 03:23 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/4479
Old 10-10-2020, 04:19 PM
specs1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Mike AK, that looks like what I need. Do you know if the spring can de changed without taking out the hammer and other parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by specs1 View Post
Thanks Mike AK, that looks like what I need. Do you know if the spring can de changed without taking out the hammer and other parts?
Nope. Gotta strip the pistol down to install the retainer spring. I've got mine waiting for the next deep clean just for that reason. If you don't have a Volquartsen accurizing kit, might as well get one and install everything at the same time.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:14 AM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine did it too. I put some blur loctite on the pin and it has not walked out since
Old 10-11-2020, 05:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe that you can also put more pressure on the spring that holds it in, by bending it a little and that will take care of it. I have not done this, thankfully I have not had this issue, but have seen a lot about it throughout the forums.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:12 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by specs1 View Post
Can this spring be removed without a total frame disassembly? Should I be concerned?
Specs,

Mike is correct...full hammer/bushing removal is required (just takes a couple of minutes) to create the space needed to access the #41 Bolt Stop Pin Retainer Dual Side Wire Spring assembly! Although my MkIVs (Hunter & 22/45 Lite) had no walking issues with the stop pin, decided to perform the ritual with my Hunter (only disassembly I had never done). For your reference, HERE are my procedural details. If you decide to go with the new VQ Cross Pin unit, these steps would be the same for dis/re assembly!

As JSF stated, while I had it apart, I did open the Ruger "Bolt Stop Retainer Pin Retainer" (#41) a few more degrees, insuring a snug fit into the dual grooved "Bolt Stop Cross Pin" (#44)! When I reassembled, the loud audible double click affirmed it shouldn't ever walk out on its own!!

Hope this helps,

Ted
Old 10-16-2020, 12:59 PM
specs1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all of the replays. Have the Volquartsen trigger installd. Sent the frame to them so it is done correctly. I am not the most mechanicaly inclined.