Is there anyway to... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Is there anyway to...

remove the plastic bolt handle knob from an Anschutz bolt handle without totally destroying the knob? Thanks
Old 12-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Some people have immersed the bolt handle in very hot water for a period of time to help loosen things and others have used heat guns . I tried both of these methods to no avail and ended up using a pair of vice grips but destroyed the bolt knob in the process.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Try putting the bolt in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Heat causes metal to expand, and cold causes it to contract/shrink. You will still need to use some grippy rubber to get a good tight grip o it to help remove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Heat it. Wrap a strip of neoprene/rubber around it,put a piece of wood on each side,and carefully tighten it in a vise,enough to clamp it,not crush it..Unscrew the handle.
I've had the thought of using a ball shaped grinder on the two pieces of wood,almost creating a mold shape for the knob,but got that notion too late in the game-I've used the more primitive methods with perhaps a 50% survival rate,and a few of those had tool marks,and everything that I have,has already been upgraded to Canyon Creek knobs.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks fellas, I ordered a DIP knob for my 1907 and hope to get the stock plastic knob off without destroying it. Camster I checked the Canyon Creek website and couldn't find their knobs, do they only come on their custom rifles or can they be purchased seperately?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man 58 View Post
Thanks fellas, I ordered a DIP knob for my 1907 and hope to get the stock plastic knob off without destroying it. Camster I checked the Canyon Creek website and couldn't find their knobs, do they only come on their custom rifles or can they be purchased seperately?
I replaced the bolt knob on my MPR with one from DIP. A very nice quality product. They are made of aircraft grade aluminum and look real good particularly when compared to the plastic one that comes with the Anschutz.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 AM
ecr111
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I replaced mine with a DIP knob also.
To remove the original I soaked the bolt knob and handle in acetone for a couple of hours. It then came off with no damage.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 AM
MiamiDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecr111 View Post
I replaced mine with a DIP knob also.
To remove the original I soaked the bolt knob and handle in acetone for a couple of hours. It then came off with no damage.
The originals must be an odd form of plastic. Acetone is one of the leading solvents to melt most plastics. Acetone and celluloid was the original model cement formula. I am surprised your bolt knob didn't disappear. Dave
Old 12-29-2014, 10:44 AM
ecr111
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDave View Post
The originals must be an odd form of plastic. Acetone is one of the leading solvents to melt most plastics. Acetone and celluloid was the original model cement formula. I am surprised your bolt knob didn't disappear. Dave
I wasn't sure about using acetone but I was afraid it was going to shatter with brute force. I saw acetone mentioned somewhere and decided to give it a try.
It did take a little of the shine off but didn't melt.
I think it must be a type of phenol similar to Bakelite.

Here it is this morning. It's been sitting in acetone for about 45 minutes.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
They can be purchased separately-it's listed on the price page.Not cheap,as they are polished and blued steel)Just one style-the same size as a 1710 plastic knob.
If you want to go that route,I have a spare in perfect shape.
For a 1907 however,you might like the larger sizes and different shapes offered by the other sources.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Sir Ville

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The easy way is to heat the steel part of the handle with a heat gun. Once it gets warm enough the knob is easy to screw off and it doesn´t get damaged.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I heated it up with a hair dryer and picked out a bunch of the adhesive from between the knob and the shaft, still didn't want to budge. I'll give it another try again tonight. Wish I had some Acetone at the house.

Last edited by Old Man 58; 12-29-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Might not work with a hair dryer?

Quote:
Round One - Ability to reach high temperatures
The heat gun obviously wins this round. Master Appliance heat guns can reach temperatures of up to 1,000 Fahrenheit. A handheld blow dryer might reach 131 degrees Fahrenheit. A hair dryer gets hot enough to burn skin, but not hot enough to complete serious tasks like striping paint and removing serious adhesives
https://www.masterappliance.com/blog...ool-throw-down

Last edited by NIB; 12-29-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Sir Ville

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I heated it up with a hair dryer and picked out a bunch of the adhesive from between the knob and the shaft, still didn't want to budge. I'll give it another try again tonight. Wish I had some Acetone at the house.
A hair dryer isn't going to cut it. It has no place in a Mans toolbox , if you aren't a Hairdresser named Jean - Pierre
You need a heat gun. The steel part ( not the plastic knob ) needs to get hot enough so you don't want to grab it. Once like that the plastic knob comes off easily since thread locking agent lets go.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ville View Post
A hair dryer isn't going to cut it. It has no place in a Mans toolbox , if you aren't a Hairdresser named Jean - Pierre
You need a heat gun. The steel part ( not the plastic knob ) needs to get hot enough so you don't want to grab it. Once like that the plastic knob comes off easily since thread locking agent lets go.
Lol, I have a heat gun somewhere out in the garage I just couldn't find it.