Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
J&P Hammer 39A Springs

This will be the first installment on my testing of J&P's new reduced power hammer springs for the 39A and 39AS. All I have done so far was install one of them in my pre-rebounding hammer model. I am impressed already. Just the installation of their spring dropped the trigger pull just slightly more than 1lb. Factory was about 4lbs. 4oz.. My trigger is now 3lbs. 2oz. and I have not done any trigger tuning yet. This also smooths out the feel of the action, and makes the lever easier to work, just as the Wolf spring does, but this one seems to me a tad better. So for those just wanting a lighter trigger pull with no file or stone work, just drop in one of J&P's reduced power hammer springs, and your done. When time permitting, maybe this weekend, I will do a fire test, to see if all else is good, and I do expect it to be.

The springs are a tad longer than original, but at a weaker compression rating, so once installed it works so much better than the factory spring. For the first test, I give them an A+ rating on their new spring for the Marlin 39A and 39AS. Way to go guys...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Old Dutch
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gizzy,

Good information from our resident expert. Thanks for your honest evaluation!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
FredH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine lowered the trigger pull 10 oz., but really smoothed the action. Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Mine lowered the trigger pull 10 oz., but really smoothed the action. Fred
Was this a J&P spring?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Just noticed, that I had dyslexia while typing the title. Should have read J&P 39A Hammer Springs.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 PM
BLUE72CAMARO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just ordered one for my gun. Thanks Gizzy
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM
FredH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes J&P spring, 4lb.10oz. trigger pull. Very smooth operation. Fred
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great work Gizzy!!

Had no idea J&P was making 39A springs!!

Everyone should send 'em an Email thanking them for their Support of Marlin Products!!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM
TOMBECK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Not that famalar with 39A breakdown - how hard to swap out and what are basic steps?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBECK View Post
Not that famalar with 39A breakdown - how hard to swap out and what are basic steps?

Simple. One stock screw comes out to remove the butt stock. Then you simply push out the metal keeper that sits in the slot in the tang, and the spring will be in your hand. Then you put the new spring on the hammer strut, push the keeper back on and into the slot, and your all set. Takes me about 1 minute to swap out springs, And that includes removing the stock too. Should not take anymore than about 5 minutes for most to do. Just be sure when you re-seat the "keeper", that you make sure its in the slot good, and centered in the tang. Not too far to one side or the other. This keeps your stock from rubbing it as you re-install the stock.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Testing complete

Ok, had a chance to test fire my Marlin with the new J&P reduced power Hammer Spring installed. It performed flawlessly. Had good solid firing pin strikes. Not too hard and not too light. Shot a group iron sighted, which was extremely difficult, due to my aging eyes, and wearing glasses, but at 30 yards, I was able to shoot 7 shots under a nickle with it using CCI Mini Mags HP's.

I give J&P 5 Stars for their newest edition to their already awesome line of gun springs and accessories.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM
TOMBECK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Thank you Gizzy - sounds as if even I could do it ( my first rule on firearms - never let a good gun, a screwdriver, and ME in the same room together - the origonal BUGGERMAN)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM
WestTx28

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last week I ordered a couple of J&P springs based on Gizzy's review. I received them today and installed one on my fairly recent ('09) 39A and I am tremendously impressed. The action feels smoother and lighter on the back of the knuckles. I put a bunch of LR and shorts through it and didn't have any light strikes.

I was planning on performing Gizzy's rebounding hammer 'fix' at the same time but decided to test just the replacement spring out first. The main thing that bothered me about the rebounding hammer was the stupid boing sound from the hammer springing back into the safety position. I really enjoy shooting shorts and with those quiet loads it is pretty noticeable and I don't think a nice quality rifle should make a sound like that. Anyway, the J&P spring eliminated that sound. The hammer obviously still rebounds back but because of the difference in spring tension or material it now sounds more like a tolerable click than boing.

There is still the issue of the rebounding hammer as it related to accuracy but that is for another topic.

I also installed a new spring on my pre-rebounding model and it feels great as well. Lighter trigger and nice smooth action. No light strikes. To me not quite as big of a difference as the newer model but still noticeable.

Thanks Gizzy for the recommendation as I think this was a small price to pay for what I consider a noticeable upgrade especially to the later rebounding hammer models.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM
CRG
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think Gizzy should be a salesman for J & P.
An aside note. The first time I took the stock off and removed the hammer spring, I had trouble getting the spring to compress so I could reinstall the part that holds the spring in place. I used a nut driver to compress the spring and it worked great. I do not know if that would be required with a reduced compression spring. I think I will find out.

Last edited by CRG; 10-10-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM
CRG
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a note from Pete that my new Marlin hammer spring will be going out tomorrow. I can not say enough good things about J & P Custom and their service. Thanks Pete.