Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:57 PM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Wonderful experience for your boy. Too bad someone had to spoil your post.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:08 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
wyosasquatch, Congratulations to you and your son, ignore the noise.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:05 PM
whitearrow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squatch good on you for taking that boy hunting and passing on the love of quality firearms. I have full confidence that you as a dad full well checked that firearm because you of all people don't want ANYTHING to happen to that precious gift from God. I say all this because like you I'm a dad and yeah during the moment we might forget to pose everything just right but you can darn well believe that we have checked to make sure our Lil ones and anybody else close by is safe.
Sorry to get on the soap box,
Eddie
Old 11-04-2014, 05:16 PM
JAMES WHITTEN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Congrats to you both. Strange as it may seem, I took my dad on his first turkey hunt so I got to experience it in reverse if you will.
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
James
Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I would love to turkey hunt with a rifle. I know W Va allows and a few others. I have a Sako .222 that would be ideal.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:18 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some people seek perfection, I sometimes wonder how perfect they are in their endeavors.

That boy was perfect, we can see the end product of his perfection. Not so sure of the critical one.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 PM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
What a fabulous picture! And what a memory for you both!

Thanks for sharing!

TT
Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 PM
wyoming7220
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am the father of Sasq (I have no idea where that came from, I think the name occurred during his college time in Nebraska). That then means I am the grandfather of the turkey assassin pictured.

We just read this set of comments this afternoon. There is a bazillion of hours of safety not seen in this picture, just pride of all involved, especially for grandson.

This afternoon he played "hunting" with my wife (grandma called GG). He becomes some some animal to be hunted, GG "shoots" at him with various balls she throws. She has to take pictures, gut him, drag him to the truck, the whole hunting deal.

After reading the nitpicking post regarding range safety he incorporated these "points" into the hunting game. They lined up all the balls. They removed the covers so everyone could see the balls are now not throw able. The carefully removed all the interior lining just in case. I had to be the range officer and determine if the balls now are beyond safe, if anything looked like it could be used he had to go home.

Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks. There is a very proud dad and son gathered around that turkey plus his mom and us and his sister and his one year old brother.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Str8shot
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awesome lesson you taught him. Courtesy, respect, honor and ethics. Sorry you did not see more of that here on this thread. Well done sir!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:44 PM
OFN
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Absolutely great stuff there. Congrats to your son on taking a fine turkey. Congrats to you on getting your son out for a day you both will remember.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:52 AM
Rule-303

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That terrific pic takes me back to two separate time periods in my own history...
Taking my first Bunny when I was a year (or three) older than that lucky lad... and some years closer to today when I photographed my eldest with his first Rabbit at about the same age as the boy.

Congrats to proud Boy, Dad and Grandfather.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 AM
drunken_monkey97

TPC Rating: 
93% (34)
Fine job to Dad and Son, and I would call you a true Dad. You asked permission for your Son and not yourself. So many parents don't put their kids first these days and it is a welcome sight to see one that does.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 AM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for sharing your story. BTW did you remove the mag, open the bolt, insert the chamber flag, give the order to move from the bench? Here they frown on shooting turkeys from the bench seriously.Here the range officer at the beginning of every relay gives the protocol and rules whether you are a newbee or a RO yourself. Too bad the OP didn't meet the same respect and consideration he was instilling in his son. Good job and many more.
Just curious, why would a game warden pull a Glock when approaching someone in the woods even if their gun was ready to fire with safe on? If they aren't in the woods why would their gun be loaded?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 AM
RHINOWSO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah, well done for you and your son...

Gotta love the static photo safety Nazis arguing about stuff they don't understand...
Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 AM
RHINOWSO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporter View Post
Yes, I can clearly see they are walking in the field and hunting with the rifle when the photo was taken...ummmm I did not comment about how one carries their rifle in the field when hunting, it was about how one holds, possibly stores or carries it when obviously NOT hunting, as the photo shows. The comment about the range was meant to churn ones grey matter into contemplating "why do they do that if its not important for some reason?"

On any range around my parts and including military ranges, a firearm that has its bolt closed with a mag in it and safety off, regardless of what process was done to it prior, is not technically a "safe" firearm, nor is it verifiably/visibly safe (if it falls over) for a range officer or anyone else looking at it...period. It is a process that has to be unlearned when at these places, so why bother teaching it somewhere else (when the firearm is actually not in use) is all I'm saying.

There are numerous other reasons why a process which relies on memory and which can be improperly executed does not substitute for a condition that is known and verifiable...thats why ranges have the bolt open/mag out rule (along with the clearing process).
A rifle in that state held in somebodies hands also indicates to a LEO, game warden that it could be immediatly usedand can unnecesarily lead to presumptions of intent; their approach for say questioning, I can assure you will be much different than if its visibly seen open, unloaded (ie, a loaded glock pointed in your face).
I imagine you are the kind of guy who can't understand how the line can be "COLD" with loaded, holstered handguns on peoples hips, right?