Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:38 PM
jsottile

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good source to refinish stainless MK II

I just bought a Stainless MK10 and the finish is far from perfect. Can anyone recommend a good source to refinish the stainless? I know Ruger offers the service but I believe they want $110.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Tilt

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
A green Scotch Brite pad will work wonders for the stainless MKs. I think Aggie was offering this type of service at one time. Send him a PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM
REdwin89
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would go with the scotch pads if the finish is not way too bad. How bad is it? Pics would be great. I believe Aggie was polishing those things to a mirror finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 PM
fataboo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I'm getting old so I recommend you get with Aggie, I believe he uses white scotch pads. Green I think would be to course, but then again I'm getting old and don't remember like I used to.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:34 AM
ColtSnakeTamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I probably bought the most beat up 10" SS gun in existence. I had to sand it to get many of the marks out starting with 320 grit sandpaper and going up. I stroked it 'just right' with the final paper and then polished it with Mother's. It turned out pretty sharp. However, unless yours is horrible, I would start out with a green Scotchbrite pad.

Last edited by ColtSnakeTamer; 03-16-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 AM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtSnakeTamer View Post
I probably bought the most beat up 10" SS gun in existence. I had to sand it to get many of the marks out starting with 320 grit sandpaper and going up. I stroked it 'just right' with the final paper and then polished it with Mother's. It turned out pretty sharp. However, unless yours is horrible, I would start out with a green Scotchbrite pad.
And that's also what Ruger recommends.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:29 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
As stated the green will "match the scratch" that the factory uses to finish
the SS pistols. BTW the scratch pattern goes around the barrel and receiver not length wise. I use a shoe shine technique to polish the barrel and receiver by clamping the part in a padded vice and grab each end of a piece of green scotch brite and got to it with a shoe shine motion. Note it is easier if you remove the sights to polish the barrel and receiver. After you have one side of the barrel or receiver polished rotate it and shine on !
Old 03-16-2014, 10:21 AM
jsottile

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Everyone, thank you very much! I will get some pictures later but it isn't that bad. The worst is from the B-Square mount they had clamped to the receiver (and also near the rear mainspring latch where everyone feels the need to destroy the finish but not using the right tools to unlatch the mainspring). I am going to try the Green pads using the technique that was described.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:52 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the red Scotchbrite for touch-ups. The green is too coarse. Easy does it, you don't need much pressure with Scotchbrite.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM
greggo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
30 mil lapping film works great too...used with plenty of lubrication, it creates a great uniform/directional sheen.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM
jsottile

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When using the Scotch pads, do you guys use lubrication?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Strider
Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't use lube. If you find the green pad doesn't quite match the finish, but you like the results, you can work it over the entire pistol and make everything blend.

If you want it to look like chrome/nickel go over it again with the white pad and move on to some Flitz polish.

If you have scratches that are too deep for the green, you can go more course and work your way back.

With a little experimenting, you'll be surprised what you can do with stainless. It is a very forgiving and hardy finish.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Flint Ridge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Green Schotchbrite. 3M pads also work gray one if I recall from Lowe's. Seems to have worked on this one. It was not perfect and just needed to be freshened up.

Oh, I took it all apart. On the barrel, sites off, off the frame and I just twisted in the hand holding the pad. Be sure to clean it all up afterwards for proper results.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 AM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have tried various pads, sandpaper, etc,,,,,,,

but,,,,

after I get it close with Scotch-Brite, I gotta use Flitz to make it look original,

Using the pad and Flitz allows me to blend a scratch back to original, without doing the whole gun,