Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 AM
photoman12001
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Question Lucked into a couple MKIIs and have a few ???

I've been hunting for a nice, reasonably-priced KMK678 MKII for about a year and I happened upon a very nice 1986 example this week. The seller wanted $400 and included a Simmons 822009 scope, Weigand mount, rings, and Tactical Solutions Mad Dog holster. No way I was turning that down so I drove 1.5 hours to make the deal and decided to stop in a few new-to-me gun shops too. In one of them sat a 1999 KMK512 MKII in great shape for a price I could not refuse; $325. My wife wasn't happy but I bought it anyway. It was like a puppy at the pound and I couldn't leave it behind

My Questions:
  • I'm not interested in keeping a scope on the KMK678. It came with the original rear sight but it's missing the elevation spring.
    • The Ruger website lists two springs with different part numbers (62092 & 61043) but the descriptions both say they fit MK Target models.
    • This the is only rear sight elevation spring listed at MidwayUSA. It doesn't mention the MK pistols so I'm assuming it won't work but it does share the same MR0506 description as the springs listed on the Ruger website have.
    • So which one does my KMK678 need?
  • The KMK512 came with a Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit installed. I've been curious to try one of them but never felt a real need since I have no trouble with disassembly/assembly.
    • I usually install a Volquartsen sear in my MK pistols. Is it safe to use with the Majestic Arms hammer?
    • These kits seem to sit at about 50/50 on positive and negative reviews. Since it's already there, is there any good reason to remove it? It did not come with the original parts.

The rescued orphans on the car ride home:

I'll have to take a new MK family portrait to include them:

Last edited by photoman12001; 03-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:14 AM
gdrew
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't answer any of your questions but WOW nice days shopping!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:49 AM
HIghstandardguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Not sure where you found the other item number. When I go into shopruger.com for the Mark pistols I only see part number MR05906, item number 61043. I think if you order by part number you'll be okay.

I'm not a fan of the speed strip kit, but would tend to leave it there until I found a reason that it needed to be removed. It's removal may be a little costly since I don't think Ruger will sell you a hammer.

Someone else will have to answer the VQ sear question.

Last edited by HIghstandardguy; 03-02-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 AM
MarTay6
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
... or you could call them to confirm... that's what I'd do if any question.
Exquisite collection, btw!!! Especially like the upper right one- with the GOOD grips!
Wes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 AM
photoman12001

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Yeah I'll definitely call Ruger on Monday about the spring but there's probably more knowledge on RFC than at Ruger.

If I were to ditch the Speed Strip kit I would probably just buy a full Volquartsen kit with hammer, sear, trigger.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
The rear sight "elevation" spring for the Ruger Mark II is definitely Part Number MR05906.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Tilt

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Those are nice. Congrats
Old 03-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you also stop and buy a lottery ticket......if not you likely missed out on winning the full prize.....

Congrats!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:35 PM
photoman12001

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Did you also stop and buy a lottery ticket......if not you likely missed out on winning the full prize.....

Congrats!
I actually did grab one when I stopped for gas but I'm not holding my breath on it.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM
1gunsnotenough

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Nice KMKs.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 PM
OneMini

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman12001 View Post

The KMK512 came with a Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit installed. I've been curious to try one of them but never felt a real need since I have no trouble with disassembly/assembly.

I usually install a Volquartsen sear in my MK pistols. Is it safe to use with the Majestic Arms hammer?

These kits seem to sit at about 50/50 on positive and negative reviews. Since it's already there, is there any good reason to remove it? It did not come with the original parts.
Re running the VQ sear with the Majestic hammer, I did just that on my KMK512 no problems.

I eventually removed the Speed Strip parts from my KMK and sold the kit off, just saw no reason it was any better than the factory setup. Putting your KMK back to factory configuration is pretty simple. What you need is a Ruger bolt stop pin from either Midway or shopruger.com. Knock out the pivot pin, replace the Speed Strip thingie with the factory bolt stop pin, replace pivot pin. There may be some minor fitting required so that the new bolt stop pin will slide up into the receiver. While you're at it, you may as well install a VQ hammer to match the sear.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 PM
photoman12001

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gunsnotenough View Post
Nice KMKs.
Thanks. You might recognize the KMK512 in the lower right corner. I bought it from you a while ago and had it modified for use with my silencers. I like the KMK512 in its factory form too so I'm glad to have a couple, though I'll likely end up selling one of them.

I was happy to find the KMK678 for such a good price. I've had a line on a few over the past year but they were all close to $500 or more and all of them had a really loose fit between the receiver and grip frame. This one is tight. The only real blemishes are some dings on the rear sight and the receiver around the rear sight dovetail from removing it to install the scope base but I can live with that. I really like these heavy taper barrel target models and I'm glad to have blued and stainless examples from early production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMini View Post
Re running the VQ sear with the Majestic hammer, I did just that on my KMK512 no problems.

I eventually removed the Speed Strip parts from my KMK and sold the kit off, just saw no reason it was any better than the factory setup. Putting your KMK back to factory configuration is pretty simple. What you need is a Ruger bolt stop pin from either Midway or shopruger.com. Knock out the pivot pin, replace the Speed Strip thingie with the factory bolt stop pin, replace pivot pin. There may be some minor fitting required so that the new bolt stop pin will slide up into the receiver. While you're at it, you may as well install a VQ hammer to match the sear.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 AM
fataboo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Rear spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
The rear sight "elevation" spring for the Ruger Mark II is definitely Part Number MR05906.

Thanks SGW for pointing out the correct spring number.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM
photoman12001

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The confusing thing is that Ruger's website lists that part number for two different item numbers.
  • Item Number 61043 Description: MR05906 MK I-II/MK III™ Target Rear Sight Elevation Spring
  • Item Number 62092 Description: MR05906 Rear Sight Elevation Spring - MKI, MKII, MKIII Target, SR9, SR9c

Anyway, I called Ruger today and they are shipping me a replacement for free since their minimum order amount is $10. I do like Ruger's customer service department. She couldn't really offer me an explanation for the different item numbers but she's sending the spring based on the serial/model numbers.

I considered just buying a whole new rear sight since this one has few dings in it from removal but they aren't bad enough to justify the cost. And I like the white outline on it. None of my other MK pistols have one like that. Of course I know I could just swap the blade to the new sight but again, not worth the cost. The front sight has what appears to be a factory white plastic insert installed on the undercut as well. I haven't seen that before either. Or maybe I have and just don't remember it.

Last edited by photoman12001; 03-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM
captainkirk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thinkk the white insert in the front sight is aftermarket, not factory. I don't think Ruger ever put these on MKs.

captainkirk