Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:44 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best Ant Killer

It seems that every time a company makes a good product for killings ants, tree huggers of some kind get it removed from the market.

My mom used to get this "Ant & Roach Killing Chalk" from Black Flag. You would draw a circle around a hole, or a line along a seam raging with ants. In an hour, there would be a lot of dead ants, and some laying there kicking, and others still just stumbling around like they were drunk. After 2 hours, they were all dead. It stayed effective for a very long time too.

I used to get "Diazanon Crystals" that I think were made by Ortho. Sprinkle some around the area that had a concentration of ants, and all were gone in a couple hours. This also lasted a pretty long time.

The junk in spray cans requires you to hit every ant you want to kill, and it seems to quit working as soon as it dries. Pretty expensive and ineffective by comparison.

What "good stuff" is available today without needing some kind of exterminator license? I hate those darn things! Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:24 AM
Donnelson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check out tempo ultra it works for me great see if it is for ants also. Amazon
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-16-2021, 09:57 AM
dlong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Domyownpestcontrol.com
......Tom Petty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 09:59 AM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Domyownpestcontrol.com

This ^^^^
Old 06-16-2021, 10:05 AM
thomasgunn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Living in Florida for nearly fifteen years, I learned a lot about battling ants. Every year seemed to bring on a new invasive ant species determined to make your house their home. Argentine ants, white footed ants, big headed ants, ghost ant et al. Most ant sprays are pretty useless, though 409 cleaner in the spray jug does a dynamite job of killing ants instantly(found that out by accident). Terro ant bait stations(interior use) combined with Andro Ant Block granules and some patience always did the job. With the resurgence of ant “super” colonies(multiples of queen ants), it’s getting tougher. But you kill the queens, the colony usually dies off..........til the next appears! Good luck.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:19 AM
Ferox34
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Best aunt killer....

....an uncle with anger issues???
Old 06-16-2021, 10:42 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sugar (the nicer name) ants are my in the house ant problem. A couple of years ago I started using Viper spray. It is the best thing I have ever used and takes care of spiders and any other bug that comes in contact with it. I re-apply every three or four weeks. Red ants are prolific here and I use Amdro fire ant granules. I have no idea of it’s effectiveness on fire ants as we aren’t bothered with them but it takes care of a red ant den overnight.

Edited to correct the auto whatever thing my iPad does.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 06-17-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:36 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giantanteater.jpg (466.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-16-2021, 11:38 AM
JJB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgunn View Post
Living in Florida for nearly fifteen years, I learned a lot about battling ants. Every year seemed to bring on a new invasive ant species determined to make your house their home. Argentine ants, white footed ants, big headed ants, ghost ant et al. Most ant sprays are pretty useless, though 409 cleaner in the spray jug does a dynamite job of killing ants instantly(found that out by accident). Terro ant bait stations(interior use) combined with Andro Ant Block granules and some patience always did the job. With the resurgence of ant “super” colonies(multiples of queen ants), it’s getting tougher. But you kill the queens, the colony usually dies off..........til the next appears! Good luck.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:49 AM
Eric300
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
This stuff right here. Been using it for years. A little goes a long way and one bottle will last for years. Mix it in a spray bottle. Once you spray a perimeter insects are GONE, and stay gone.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:15 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Synthetic Pyrethroid's

The above product and the one I use are both made using synthetic pyrethroid.

The highest concentrate of permethrin is 36.8% as is the above product. Mixed in a poly sprayer it is deadly to any insect and lasts a while after initial spraying!

I started using it as I'm into organic gardening and this product is a variant (albeit synthetic) of Pyrethrin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin

I think you can also get the product which is made from the flower itself. And you can grow the flower if you so choose. If there's a house fly that happens by a bouquet it's toast!

P.S. I don't use it in the garden as it would kill beneficial insects and being synthetic I don't believe it's considered organic.

Last edited by NIB; 06-16-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:25 PM
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or, you could try a dual-purpose method.
It's more work, but gives you a reminder of what you did to eradicate the pesky things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xvsxarw-J0

Could even use the results as a dining-table-sized Christmas tree.

Roger
Old 06-16-2021, 01:51 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HA, I get the Christmas tree now.

If you're going after something like that with the mixed spray I mentioned soak it with a 1/4 gal. or so and it should do away with them!
Old 06-16-2021, 02:30 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ortho-orthene. kills every kind of ant.
Scatter it downwind of your nose.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:39 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
The only ants we have that are a problem are fire ants and there is no good way to get rid of them that does not require killing the queen. That means no matter how many dead ants you see, unless they delivered poison to the queen before they died, the job isn't done. Amdro sprinkled around, not on, the mound works for me. Give it a few days and re-apply a time or two.