I been thinking hard about getting a Smith and Wesson 41 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:16 PM
Tankerfrank60586

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I been thinking hard about getting a Smith and Wesson 41

I been on the fence for a few years now I've been thinking hard that I'd like to get a target 22. Is it true that there's only 2 guys at Smith and Wesson did actually make the 41. I had heard that the 41 is a semi custom built gun is this a true statement I would like to get a 5" barrel is there any difference between the performance shop 41 and the normal production 41. Thank you also I am the original tanker Frank for some reason I could not log in so I had to make a new name and everything very long time person but I've been off the form for a while.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:06 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I had one. It was ok. I sold it to finance this project. A much better pistol IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1A545BA3-7ED1-42E4-9C05-5DE4264AD02D_1_201_a.jpg (594.9 KB, 122 views)
Old 06-13-2021, 08:19 PM
spaceguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 41 is a fine gun for sure. I personally like the older guns as compared to modern production. Like most .22 target guns they are fussy about ammo and must be kept clean. The 5" field barrel is hard to find, but the 5.5" and 7" are quite common. Buy one and give it a try. You only live once ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2021, 08:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
for me

If you have not done so, I would handle one first and make sure your hands are large enough to pull straight back on the trigger. I had one for decades and fought this issue with smaller hands and finally sold it last year after getting some Ruger Mark II's I ended up shooting better with offhand.

Mine was an older model from 1977 and it worked great and was super accurate off the bench. They seem underpriced used compared to the other brands now selling for $650+. Took awhile to get $900 out of mine.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:55 PM
mostly22lately

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerfrank60586 View Post
I'd like to get a target 22.
This is definitely that. There are others, and I have tried them, but this one really feels right to me. I have rifles that can not take as good a shot. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Is it true that there's only 2 guys at Smith and Wesson did actually make the 41. I had heard that the 41 is a semi custom built gun is this a true statement.
There sure are a lot of fanciful stories out there, with this pistol. The 41 is manufactured in a factory, in a production run, just like others are. For a while, I think in the early 2000s, the production was at the Houlton, Maine factory, right on the Canadian border. But now back in Springfield Mass.

Quote:
is there any difference between the performance shop 41 and the normal production 41.
Yes. The front and rear sights are different, there is a Picatinny rail on the top (which may be more of a Weaver rail at the end of the day...), the PC version only comes in the 5.5" length, the trigger adjustment and end stop are different, the grips are different, the PC version has specific markings on the slide, and, it comes in a different box. I have the PC version.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:18 AM
troystat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a late 1970ís model 41, it is a joy to shoot and I have put 1000ís of rounds through it. The 41ís are nice pistols although they seem to come in two flavors, either perfect and will shoot anything or finicky and in need of a tuneup by a good gunsmith.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:54 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I bought a new one 6 or 8 weeks ago. It jammed a lot (stovepipes), depending upon the brand of ammo. It seems to like CCI, both SV and Minimags, but not much else. It jams just about every round with Aguila SV. I installed a Volquartsen extractor but it wasn't any better. I was in the middle of ammo testing (for reliability, not accuracy) with different ammo brands when it decided not to hold a magazine. They (the mags) would not lock in place and just fell out. I field stripped it to see if something was blocking the mag but couldn't see anything wrong. Ammo testing ended, and the gun went back to S&W for repairs, where it still sits today. Pretty sad for such an expensive handgun. I expected better from S&W. I wouldn't buy again.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would like to have a 41 but am afraid to buy one due to the problems reported on this site in the past few years.
I would try to find an older one in excellent condition.

If I did look at a new one, I would check the ramp for damage, check the safety, and make sure the slide and magazine work properly before buying it.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:38 AM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can certainly understand why people are apprehensive about buying a model 41 if they hang around these forums much. People come here to solve problems as a rule so those who own them and keep shooting are silent. If in doubt just find an active Bullseye club and watch all the 41ís and High Standards on the line year after year.

As far as I know these guns were assembled along with the 52ís in the Custom Shop. Parts were selected, fitted up, test fired and years ago the target wasincluded in the box initialized. The old Custom Shop was done away with when Steve Melvyn and the British bought the company in the 80ís. Donít need a lot of high priced gunsmiths when we have new CNC machines was the mantra
Old 06-14-2021, 08:51 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I bought one with a seven-inch barrel off a forum member here. Shoots/functions great. I also put together a VQ LLV a bit like the one posted above. Both are great fun. I think of the VQ as easier to tinker with (in terms of swapping out parts), but then I like tinkering. The take-down of the Model 41 is pretty simple. Of the two companies, my customer service experiences with VQ have been superb, but then again they are small and nimble and when you e-mail the CEO, he writes back.

I think the two firearms are comparable in performance, but the Model 41 is the prettier pistol, if those things matter to you. It should go without saying that this is my personal preference only, of course.

Last edited by flangster; 06-14-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:19 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Howdy Frank, welcome back! I can think of several quintessential .22 target pistols and the S&W model 41 is definitely in the top 5. I wanted one for 30 years and finally found a nice example (70's production) for a fair price in our Trading Post a few years ago. Bit the bullet, and I'm very glad I did!

One thing I've found in life is that I can't have everything all at once but within reason I can have everything one at a time. If you want a 41, do some due diligence as you appear to be doing here and then get it. Purchased sensibly (new or used) and treated with a modicum of respect it will hold or increase in value. Later if you decide it's not for you recoup your funds and try something else.

Just mid dos centavos,

Anudder Frank
Old 06-14-2021, 09:43 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before the early 1990ís the Model 41 was almost a custom assembled target gun. At that point the highly polished finish was replaced with a satin finish. Even before that the loaded chamber indicator had been removed. According to an article in the 1980ís in Shotgun News, assembly was limited to a few hand picked better assemblers. They were given a box of parts and assembled and fitted the gun, tested the gun, fired the gun, and delivered it to shipping. They had full responsibility for that gun. In recent times, like the last 5 or so years all that changed. They divided the assembly into the Performance Shop version and the normal factory version with some differences in the design to justify the extra cost. At this point in time I started to see many complaints here about these new guns from both places. The complaints seem to be incomplete quality control. To top that off many S&W gun sent in for service seemed to have to be returned multiple times to fix the same problems. Todayís Model 41 is not the same as a pre 1990ís version.

My Model 41, which is excellent by the way, is from the early 1990ís with the satin finish and the laser etched serial number. I bought it new back then. It came with the longer barrel. I added a Clark 5 inch "optics" barrel that includes a scope rail for a red dot (and no open sights). That barrel shoots as well as the S&W original barrel. There were no quality issues with either my Model 41 or the Clark barrel.

There was a period with the satin finished Model 41ís until about 5 or so years ago when they were fine guns with few problems. Early highly polished versions are also great guns. The bottom line is you may want to re-think the purchase of a new Model 41 and go for a any one made before the last 10 years or so. The earlier the better, it seems.

Throughout the history of S&W they have had periods of less than stellar gun production quality. It usually has to do with a change in ownership with the corporate raiders stealing the profits at the expense of the gun quality. I have S&W guns from many different periods and suffered with some of them. It is what it is when it comes to anything S&W, it seems.

This is of course my option and yours may vary.

LDBennett

PS: There are other target 22LR pistols to choose from. One of my favorites is the Benelli MP90S (or the Econ version MP95E). The MP90S is about the least expensive Olympic style semi-auto pistol in the market place with a very European look. It is well made and shoots as well as a Model 41 and then some. Today you can get them through the revived ďLarrys GunsĒ web page (Name and stock moved after Larryís death recently). The MP95E version is the same gun with a lesser trigger assembly and no Ergo grips but a better price. Mine is the MP90S and I love it. I have experienced High Standard pistols, a Browning Belguim Challenger, a Browning Buckmark Target version, a Colt Match Target, a Ruger Government model, a Sig Trailside, and some other fine target pistols. The S&W Model 41 is not the only choice you have!
Old 06-14-2021, 01:21 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Weigh your options carefully Tanker Frank, but remember once you have an itch for a Model 41 you will either now or in the future have to scratch it. This discussion comes up all the time on new or used 41's and which is best. My first 41 that I paid dearly for used, was a nothing more than a paperweight. It never worked right and eventually after sticking good money after bad into it, I sold it and swore I would never own another one.

Fast forward to the new(er) PC Model 41 and I was hooked. Just had to have one even though I read all the scuttlebutt about how bad they were and worse yet the repair process was almost impossible to deal with at S&W. So I went into my purchase knowing full well I might have problems and I did. Within 20 rounds I decided it had to go back to the Mothership. While I didn't enjoy having to send the pistol back to the factory the process was pretty painless and didn't cost me a dime. The wait to get it back was frustrating, but it was at the height of the Covid thing and a Holiday Season just dragged out the return.

After getting my 41 back it has performed flawlessly and I couldn't be happier. I heard about guys that had damage done to their 41's or they weren't fixed properly the first time and had to go back again but I experienced none of that. So here's the bottom line, if you buy used you will have no warranty if the pistol doesn't work right. Buy new and it does have warranty, but you may never need it. Make sure that if you purchase a used 41 that you can send it back for a full refund, if it doesn't work right or you are not otherwise satisfied with it. And remember, most people don't go to a forum such as this to commend a product, they go to a forum to complain about it. We simply don't know how many satisfied new Model 41 owners there are out in the world.

Rick H.

Last edited by Rick H.; 06-14-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:58 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I have owned 4 model 41 pistols over the past 40 years, one was new and the other 3 were purchased used. Three of them were made in the 80's or early 90's, and the last one was made in 2007 and has the matte blue finish and laser etched printing, and it has performed as well as the older model 41's. Personally, if I didn't currently own one and was going to buy one it would be a very nice older one made prior to 2010 or so.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:04 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My 41 is my favorite 22 pistol. I even picked up a field barrel so I can use it for a plinker.

I grew up shooting Dad's 7" 41.

I've never had problems with either, but both are early Pre A serial number'd guns.

I wouldn't own one made after the early A series without going over it with a magnifying glass first and test firing it.

Smith and Wesson's quality control really went to crap in the late 70's. You can find good examples made after that, but general rule of thumb, the earlier guns were much, much better made.