Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:26 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Have we seen the last of the 1" scope?

Went shopping recently for a scope in the 24x range and was amazed to see almost all my choices were tactical-style scopes with 30mm tubes. And as an odd mismatch, the world of scope rings seems to treat 30mm rings as exotic items worth of a premium over their 1-inch counterparts.

Do you think we have seen the end of the 1-inch scope era?
Old 06-13-2021, 05:53 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nope

Nope. Way too many one inch rings and scopes for them to be supplanted by larger. And the proportions of the one inch scopes to the rifles are pleasing to the eye. Could it change, yes. Will it change, no. My prediction.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:07 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flangster, we haven't seen the end but we are seeing the beginning of the end, It's coming . The gas company put an exposed pipeline valve in down over the hill from me and I was thinking about how much it reminded me of some of the scopes offered today, It was a little larger in diameter and was green but other than that it reminded me of a Crimson trace scope that a member had posted recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2021, 06:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Nope. Way too many one inch rings and scopes for them to be supplanted by larger. And the proportions of the one inch scopes to the rifles are pleasing to the eye. Could it change, yes. Will it change, no. My prediction.
That's probably what was said about 7/8" scopes.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Time will tell ...

Time will tell. I am 79 years old so I doubt I will see any change. The human eye can only take in so much light. From memory, a 6x scope with an exit pupil of about 7 passes all of the light a young eye can take in. And as we get older, we take in less light. So there is really not much justification for the larger 30mm except at higher power scopes, which can make good use of the additional light. There is certainly a trend to shoot things at long distances, and some do it well. But for the majority of us, if hunting, we will be in the woods and fields and most shooting will be from a standing or field improvised position. Limit of practical range, maybe two to three hundred yards. And for the target shooting, with increase population you are lucky to have a range as long and many are 100 yards or less. The one inch tube with a variable scope will prove the most popular and the power range will top off in the mid-teens. I agree we started with small diameter scopes which have grown larger over the years, but the human eye has not changed and once you have all of the light you can make use of, there is no rational reason for more light. My thinking.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
David, the tube diameter has not much to do with light and practical application has not much to do with most anyone under forty! I liked your rational reason comment , it has become an oxymoron!

Last edited by Lerrab; 06-13-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:40 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
David, the tube diameter has not much to do with light and practical application has not much to do with most anyone under forty! I liked your rational reason comment , it has become an oxymoron!
LOL. Well I am well north of 40. But I always assumed, since I have never had any trouble discerning detail at maximum magnification on any one-inch scope I own, that the one-inch vs. 30mm question doesn't have much to do with light transmission, or not much at any rate. I always thought that a 30mm tube gave you more "headroom" to adjust for windage and elevation.

But I agree they are inelegant, chunky beasts. Not suited to an elegant sporter. That's just me complaining, and it was fine as long as I could buy the products I wanted. But that seems to be less and less the case. I settled on a Hawke scope for this last purchase. But it was one of only a few available with a one inch tube.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
flangster, They give more room for the erector system which is why I made the comment they don't have much to do with light. You can get more adjustment out of them but not a real light changer. As far as scopes and such go my neighbor was never in the military , too chicken crap to go but all of his hardware is military inclined. I think he wants to project the image that if he was to be dropped behind enemy lines he would end whatever skirmish was at hand. I see a lot of that going around.

Last edited by Lerrab; 06-13-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:02 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
flangster, They give more room for the erector system which is why I made the comment they don't have much to do with light. You can get more adjustment out of them but not a real light changer. As far as scopes and such go my neighbor was never in the military , too chicken crap to go but all of his hardware is military inclined. I think he wants to project the image that if he was to be dropped behind enemy lines he would end whatever skirmish was at hand. I see a lot of that going around.
9/10 so called Vietnam vets are faux wannabes.

I wouldn't hazard a guess if the 1" tube is on the way out but the better brands seem to have fallen into a minority group.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:13 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (273)
I've been bemoaning the move to 30mm scopes for some time (not to mention reticles that look like a city street map instead of a nice clean duplex, with or without a dot). And that move looks to be serious thanks to the "Tactical" crowd. Yes, a 30mm tube offers more "headroom" as Flangster says, for windage and elevation, and the potential for superior optics vs the 1" tube, but that is NOT a guarantee. What is guaranteed is greater size and weight. For a .22 RF rifle, that size and weight is Not a good fit.

I have two 30mm scopes -- a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 SF (fortunately with a Fine Duplex), and a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 SF, also a Duplex. Both scopes have great optics, but are much heftier than any of my other 1" scopes. Fortunately, I have a sizable number of excellent 1" scopes, so doubt I will ever buy another 30mm. I'll just have to make do.

Doug
Old 06-13-2021, 08:28 PM
ECC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 30’s do the job but so does my 1” x36 Weaver and with a nice clean reticule.

The Weaver is also much lighter on low 11mm Anschutz mounts.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I've been bemoaning the move to 30mm scopes for some time (not to mention reticles that look like a city street map instead of a nice clean duplex, with or without a dot). And that move looks to be serious thanks to the "Tactical" crowd. Yes, a 30mm tube offers more "headroom" as Flangster says, for windage and elevation, and the potential for superior optics vs the 1" tube, but that is NOT a guarantee. What is guaranteed is greater size and weight. For a .22 RF rifle, that size and weight is Not a good fit.

I have two 30mm scopes -- a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 SF (fortunately with a Fine Duplex), and a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 SF, also a Duplex. Both scopes have great optics, but are much heftier than any of my other 1" scopes. Fortunately, I have a sizable number of excellent 1" scopes, so doubt I will ever buy another 30mm. I'll just have to make do.

Doug
Old 06-13-2021, 09:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Book to read.

Optics for the Hunter by John Barsness
Old 06-13-2021, 09:28 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I guess I have never heard or seen a 30MM scope..My latest is a 3/4 tube..I much be going backwards
Old 06-14-2021, 05:26 AM
wonshott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the unprecedented demand last year coupled with decreased production means that when you walk in a gun store all you see is 30mm scopes. the reason is the 1" scopes have all been sold. panic if you want, but dont panic about 1" scopes disapearing.