Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:48 PM
Bergie22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Options for X-ring

Hello,
I have a TacSol X-Ring rifle in a Hogue stock that I got a pretty good deal on. It shoots pretty well, but not consistent. With good ammo like Lapua Center X it might do a .55 group, then a 1.2” group, then a .8” group. I’d like it to be more consistent.

I’m thinking about replacing the barrel with a Kidd lightweight barrel and putting it in a Magpul stock. Maybe adding a Kidd 2-stage trigger.

Would I be throwing good money after bad, or would this make a noticeable difference? Can I even put a Kidd barrel in a TacSol receiver?

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:31 AM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WHile one never knows how much improvement a part swap is going to get you, my personal approach would be to simply sell the x ring ( you say you got a good deal so maybe you can make a bit of profit on it) then just buy a Kidd.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No offense intended, but, are you consistent with anything else?
On some days (most) I have less than stellar results. Often the core group is decent, but out of 5 shots 1 or two open it up to....um....unsatisfactory.
Gun, ammo, or me?
So, if I grab a previous good performing combo of gun/ammo I almost always find I get the same results as the 1st rifle.
Me, my own worst enemy.
I still have some fine rifles that are competitive for the matches we have hereabouts, but not so much with me at the helm anymore; ie, I cant blame the equipment.

Last edited by gcrank1; 05-28-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2021, 11:11 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (273)
Welcome to RFC! There is a wealth of information here, many who will be helpful, and many who will be happy enablers to help you to spend your money.

Well, let's see -- you're talking about replacing the barrel, trigger, and stock. While you are apparently keeping the original receiver and bolt, you would be changing some very key components, especially the barrel. I would argue you are close to having a new and quite different rifle. In any case, as mentioned above, if you are fairly new to this, you might want to focus on your shooting technique as well. It can pay big dividends.

Doug
Old 05-28-2021, 12:37 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I agree with possibly selling the X-ring rifle. In my experience with TacSol barrels they are well made but not quite as accurate as some of the competition. I think you could get a decent price for a nice condition X-ring rifle that would put a pretty sizable dent in the price of something else, like a Kidd Supergrade maybe......
Old 05-29-2021, 10:14 AM
Bergie22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I’m sure there’s some part of the inconsistency that is all my fault. Part of the fun of rimfires is I seem to learn more about what I’m doing than when shooting center fire.
I never really thought about the inconsistency until I recently got a B14R. It turns out I CAN shoot pretty well (most of the time). So now I’m sort of obsessing with getting similar results with a semi-auto.
I’m torn on going all in and getting something like a Supergrade. On one hand, the practical hand, I realistically just use this for paper, a KYL rack, and the occasional trip back home to Montana to shoot gophers. The other hand says “why settle with something that is going to drive me crazy when I can afford something really nice?”.
I’ll probably screw over it for a while and end up with a new gun. And keep the TacSol because it is pretty fun, and way more accurate than a lot of stock 10/22s.
Thanks for the input!
Old 05-29-2021, 12:22 PM
Todd-67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your new metric for accuracy is your new B14R that's a tall order for a semi-auto. I would sell what you have and look at a complete rifle from Kidd.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:06 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
If your new metric for accuracy is your new B14R that's a tall order for a semi-auto. I would sell what you have and look at a complete rifle from Kidd.
This. I’ve had MANY custom 10-22 variants and barrels. For MY standards for accuracy, I would not buy a TacSol or other aluminum bodied sleeved barrel.
20” Kidd SS bull- preferably Supergrade, or Lilja if you want max accuracy. If you want it light, go with a Kidd ULW or VQ carbon fiber tension barrel. A Kidd LW is a nice mid weight compromise- 18” weighs 2lb, and 5 that I’ve had could do .2-.3” @ 50. The three I still own can do MOA @ 100 with good ammo on most days. The beauty is that they have good bench manners AND excellent balance for offhand shooting. Best of both worlds, IMO.

Your stock is a huge weak link in the chain. Replace it, and invest in a good front rest and Protektor 13B tall bunny ear rear bag if you haven’t already.

Anyone can assemble a custom 10-22. Building and bedding- tuning them to do under 1/2” at 50 is more elusive than you’d think based on the claims of many keyboard warriors. If you’re not into bedding rifles, and just want something that’s guaranteed to shoot, call up Tony Kidd and order a SG. If you do, don’t try and build something “lightweight” that will “shoot bug hole groups”. While the two are not mutually exclusive, in my experience a semi auto should have some heft to achieve maximum accuracy.

If you order a SG with a 20” .920, you won’t regret it.

Have fun, be safe & keep us posted.

DrGunner
Old 05-31-2021, 08:50 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
...Anyone can assemble a custom 10-22. Building and bedding- tuning them to do under 1/2” at 50 is more elusive than you’d think based on the claims of many keyboard warriors. If you’re not into bedding rifles, and just want something that’s guaranteed to shoot, call up Tony Kidd and order a SG.

DrGunner
Humm I thought you said you could bolt your way to accuracy! My TacSol shoots sub MOA at 300 yards with Remington Goldens...
Old 05-31-2021, 08:58 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (273)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Humm I thought you said you could bolt your way to accuracy! My TacSol shoots sub MOA at 300 yards with Remington Goldens...
Yeah, but you do your part!

Doug
Old 05-31-2021, 09:37 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Every chance I get!
Old 06-07-2021, 08:50 PM
Bergie22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, thanks for helping me spend a bunch of money! I ordered a Supergrade. Should be a dream rifle. Funny thing was I added up all the "add 5 weeks for tis" and " add three weeks for that" and cam up with a 10 week wait. I asked about that and was told probably more like 3-3.5 weeks
The next day I got a notice it was shipping! I'll pick it up tomorrow, about 10 days after I placed the order. I won't be able to shoot it for a couple weeks, but I'll report back.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:16 PM
Beerjman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergie22 View Post
Well, thanks for helping me spend a bunch of money! I ordered a Supergrade. Should be a dream rifle. Funny thing was I added up all the "add 5 weeks for tis" and " add three weeks for that" and cam up with a 10 week wait. I asked about that and was told probably more like 3-3.5 weeks
The next day I got a notice it was shipping! I'll pick it up tomorrow, about 10 days after I placed the order. I won't be able to shoot it for a couple weeks, but I'll report back.
I only hope mine gets here just as fast
Old 06-14-2021, 11:51 PM
Bergie22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally got to take it out today to see how it runs. Not the best conditions; 109 and windy, but it did all right.
I’ll post pics when I get a chance, but it’s a 18” black bull barrel in the Magpul OD green stock, with 2-stage trigger at 1lb/1lb. It’s gorgeous. Athlon Midas HDMR 2.5-15 scope.
Started with CCI SV, and it was about what I expected, not great but not bad. Probably averaged around an inch at 50. Moving up in ammo I used SK Std+, Rifle Match, and High Velocity. Also tried some Lapua Pistol King. Most of those were around half inch, with the best group coming from the Rifle Match at .391”. Several in the .4’s. I was happy with it. 95 rounds total and no malfunctions of any sort.
I can’t wait to go out in some reasonable weather without wind and see what it can really do.
Thanks for the peer pressure to get me to go this route. I really like how it turned out.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Good start, should even be better when broke in