ECC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very lucky to have survived.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:55 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes i was watching this last night and the following comments from other you tubers.

I have to say that I feel bad for Mr Serbu, he was visibly shaken and admitted to being depressed when he heard the news

However most of us with any knowledge of firearms would take one look at his design and say that doesn't look safe. Its essentially a flare gun with a .50bmg screw cap as a breech.

I'm disappointed that Serbu clearly didn't do destruction tests on his rifles as its pretty clear that in a high pressure failure that end cap and safety lugs where not up to the job, evidently as one of those safety lugs imbedded itself into poor Scotts body nearly killing him, not to mention almost going through his head, by pure luck. and gods good grace he survived.

Personally I feel that Mr. Serbu needs to do the decent thing and halt sales of these rifles and recall them with a view to redesigning a rifle that will fail safely. i.e. not killing the shooter

Guns fail fact!, people do silly things like using a Sabot with a muzzle break.

Most people wouldn't think about this but those plastic petals will peel off into the muzzle break thereby casing an obstruction.

The big give away was the penultimate shot going 3 feet low and right, as well as an unusually large muzzle report. All too easy to say in hindsight but at that point I would have stopped and had a look at the bore and break. As clearly something was very wrong. But as again easier in hindsight. Scott did nothing wrong the gun failed in a very dangerous way.

You might disagree but having a proofing system in the UK and EU but it may well have ensured that this kind of accident would not happen.

Slap rounds tend to have lower pressures than standard .50bmg but buying singled rounds on ebay seems like taking a big chance with your safety.
Is it an elicit reload?

More likely its simply a very bad idea to use a sabot with any rifle carrying a muzzle break or suppressor, unless its specifically design to cope with a sabot round.

Years ago I had Sabot airgun pellets made by Sussex Armory in .177 these would clog up my sound moderator and eventually i got a baffle strike ruining the can, lesson learned! Luckily it was a 12 ftlb air rifle not a .50 bmg.

However I'm sure Mr. Serbu had only good intentions when designing this firearm however I feel its a fundamentally flawed design.

A very sobering video, we should all consider range safety and first aid, especially those of us who live or shoot in remote places.
Eyes, ears, create a range action safety plan and make sure you have a mobile phone signal.

The response from the shooting community worldwide has been overwhelming, the antis would not realise that 99.9% of people who like shooting have no wish to cause harm, or see harm come to anyone.

My heart goes out to Mr Serbu. Who appeared visibly distressed in his video. But more so to Scott for suffering this life changing injury, glad to see him using a pistol in his convalescence

Last edited by Discontinued; 05-05-2021 at 04:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2021, 04:20 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are assuming it was something causing an obstruction!
Personally I suggest a poorly loaded round, probably the wrong primer for the powder or very old powder.
Ball powders need a strong primer otherwise one can get a flame out situation but the bullet has entered the barrel itself becoming an obstruction, then a millisecond later the powder ignites again causing a pressure spike beyond normal pressures.
In fact a proof test still would not create some of the pressures achievable from in correct loading!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:53 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Probably pistol powder in a rifle case!

But I feel my point about Sabot's is a valid one I wouldn't want to try them with a muzzle break

Still, this should serve as an important reminder to us all
Old 05-05-2021, 01:50 PM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Probably pistol powder in a rifle case!

But I feel my point about Sabot's is a valid one I wouldn't want to try them with a muzzle break

Still, this should serve as an important reminder to us all
A muzzle brake would handle sabot material and any bullet striking any debris in the brake after the barrel would not cause a failure as such. Sabots should not be used in moderrators/suppressors.

I doubt they were loaded with pistol powder. He would of known that after the first shot!

My money is on the wrong spherical powder.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My bet is on a case failure that allowed gas back into the cap.

Last edited by Vee3; 05-05-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:10 PM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
My bet is on a case failure that allowed gas back into the cap.
Quite possible. However the author mentions the inconsistencies in muzzle flash and report.
Something was very wrong at the point of ignition that ultimately caused a case failure.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe he was using SLAP ammo, no?

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 05-06-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:40 PM
Etpm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw the video and looked at the threads. As mentioned in the video the threads were sheared clean off. I wonder if the cap threads also sheared or if the barrel threads remained in the cap. In any case, a properly designed and machined thread should have held and the barrel should have failed at the minor diameter of the last thread or at the thread relief. Because this was a firearm I can't imagine the engineers not designing the threatened connection properly. So I wonder what the failure point was. Bad machining? Bad material? Bad design? I would think that a rifle that shoots 50 BMG rounds would be designed for at least double pressure. Hopefully some tests will be done to determine the cause of this failure. In the meantime if I owned one of these rifles I would stop using it until I knew I would be safe firing it.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:48 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would never shoot any firearm with nothing but a set of threads between me and a powder charge.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:02 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelbark View Post
I would never shoot any firearm with nothing but a set of threads between me and a powder charge.
Yeah. They call that a pipe bomb.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:06 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Threaded breech designs have been used on artillery for ~150 years. Sometimes with a portion of the threads cut away (interrupted thread) so a 1/2 turn frees the breech plug.

No gun is "perfectly safe" but a well-designed/manufactured threaded breech is very safe under normal circumstances.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:08 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
He shot a slap round outta a break. In high school we knew that would cause a big kaboom.

Stupid is as stupid does, my sympathy level is shockingly low.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:08 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Threaded breech designs have been used on artillery for ~150 years. Sometimes with a portion of the threads cut away (interrupted thread) so a 1/2 turn frees the breech plug.

No gun is "perfectly safe" but a well-designed/manufactured threaded breech is very safe under normal circumstances.
Big difference between an artillery breach and the pipe cap on the rifle in the video.