Hi Standard W104 "Double Nine" w/gold plated grip frame & case hardened hammer. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:55 AM
anvilring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Standard W104 "Double Nine" w/gold plated grip frame & case hardened hammer.

Has anyone ever seen one of these w/gold plated aluminum grip frame and case hardened hammer? I got it in a trade. Curious if it's an oddity/valuable and, did it come w/this holster? I've run across other pix of this model w/this holster is why I ask.

Any comments appreciated,
regards, mitch

20200802_103752 by rynegold, on Flickr

20200802_103759 by rynegold, on Flickr

20200802_103828 by rynegold, on Flickr

20200802_103739 (1) by rynegold, on Flickr

20200802_103857 by rynegold, on Flickr

Last edited by anvilring; 08-02-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:49 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My father traded a case of beer for one just like that in 1963.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:02 AM
rimfiresrule2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I suspect that pistol is much more rare than the holster. That looks great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Kona Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kona Dave
Even being rare or common. If demand for the firearm isnít there then value is just average or less.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:22 PM
anvilring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All that being said, aren't these pistols worth about $350ish in this kind of condition? maybe a little more? I seen several versions of this w105, but none with a case-hardened hammer, and none with a gold-plated grip frame; that was a reason I posted. I thought perhaps it was a special edition of some sort. It's a strange pistol in that it has a fake ejection rod and housing presumably to make it look more "Western"... That's stranger than fiction.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Telcotech
US Air Force Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile W-104 'Double Nine'

First let me say that is a fine lookin' HS Double Nine...the leather holster is a Hunter brand holster and they were a very standard holster for the .22 RF western style revolvers. I actually have several...nothing fancy but they do last. I used to have a Double Nine W-100 back about 6 years ago with the more common faux ivory grips... the pistol functioned well but you couldn't hit crap with it past 50'...since I came into possession of the gun in a estate buy out...I ended up trading it along with several other firearms on a HS 103 Tournament 2 barrel set and a S&W 22S. Hopefully yours is more accurate...
Old 08-06-2020, 06:23 PM
Telcotech
US Air Force Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HS Tournament 103

SGVICTOR- sorry about that statement of being a two barrel 'set'...should have said it came with two barrel's ... both 6.5" I think...one is D/T with a mounted 2.5x Bushnell Phamtom scope the other without a scope...both barrel's shoot very accurate with a dose of CCI SV...It has the standard slant grip grip panels but wears a set of custom thumb rest grips currently that I picked up at a gun show 5yrs ago plus an extra original Hamden, CT mag. ser. # 140199x. I have the original cardboard box also...Mfg 1963 ? Thanks
Old 08-06-2020, 08:32 PM
sceva

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcotech View Post
First let me say that is a fine lookin' HS Double Nine...the leather holster is a Hunter brand holster and they were a very standard holster for the .22 RF western style revolvers. .
I believe that is a Bucheimer holster, not a Hunter. Check the snaps.

The Bucheimers were a step above Hunters in my opinion.

Nice Revolver
Old 08-06-2020, 09:38 PM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wow that is no Hunter holster. It kind of looks like one, but I see the differences. I have two and had one a long long time. I thought SG read too fast but he may be correct, as is.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:34 PM
runninmike
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FWIW...The faux ejector rod on the w series revolvers is actually a cylinder release if pressed down range direction...
Old 08-09-2020, 03:58 PM
blackagnes
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Tough one to find...

A Natchez. I looked for years to find one, and finally did. Very scarce. Does anyone know how many were made?

Tim
Old 08-10-2020, 04:10 AM
spud3030

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Double 9 Convertible

G'day fellas,
just bought myself a little Double 9 Convertible, missing the 22 Mag cylinder sadly. Seems to be a 1979 model and looks great in the photos!
She won't arrive until next week though, I'll post some more pictures then.
It's the only one I've seen for sale in Australia (I don't know how many made it here) and will be a great companion to my beautiful Trophy.
Here's a couple of pics the now previous owner sent me.
seeya's spud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1045.jpg (518.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1046.jpg (523.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-10-2020, 06:58 AM
Kona Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud3030 View Post
G'day fellas,
just bought myself a little Double 9 Convertible, missing the 22 Mag cylinder sadly. Seems to be a 1979 model and looks great in the photos!
She won't arrive until next week though, I'll post some more pictures then.
It's the only one I've seen for sale in Australia (I don't know how many made it here) and will be a great companion to my beautiful Trophy.
Here's a couple of pics the now previous owner sent me.
seeya's spud
I have a High Sierra convertible. I know, not the same beast. So I could be wrong with my statement here. My 2 cylinders are different as the 22LR cylinder has scallop cutouts and the 22 Magnum cylinder is solid. So it is easy to tell them apart. Based on my model it appears your gun has the 22 Magnum cylinder since it appears to be a solid cylinder. Again, I could be wrong.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:55 AM
Kona Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVictor View Post
High Standards use of fluted and smooth cylinders is pretty confusing.

In the beginning all cylinders were fluted and the ones made for Sears had an unusual form of fluting. Then with the introduction of certain models with aluminum frames before the steel frame combination guns were introduced they introduced the plain cylinders. Early combination Western revolvers came with two plain cylinders. The actual style cylinder seems to be largely the result of whatever the sales/marketing department wanted and varied by model and with time. The later catalogs do show the High Sierra came with one fluted and one plain cylinder however the catalogs were not always a reliable source of information.
Thank you for clarifying.