Glad to hear that! Thanks for heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2020, 07:48 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While it might seem easy to just replace a S&W extractor with the Volquartsen extractor, the Volquartsen extractors are not magic. Twenty two extractors must be correctly tuned to hold onto an empty case during the slide’s fast heavily accelerated ride to the rear.

The extractor claw point is the only part of the extractor that should touch the empty case and then only at the exact junction of the rim and the case body. It should not be jammed up against the case body or on the rim. Both those surface are sloped such that the extractor cold loose hold on the empty case.

The extractor tension can be checked with a simple test, Remove the slide from the gun. Slide a loaded round up and under the extractor on to the slide breech face. Gently shake the loose slide and the loaded round should not fall off the slide’s breech face.

When all this is right, whether it be a tuned S&W extractor or a Volquartsen extractor, the gun is good to go.

LDBennett
Old 04-26-2020, 12:33 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Volqartesen Making Model 41 Extractors Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post

While it might seem easy to just replace a S&W extractor with the Volquartsen extractor, the Volquartsen extractors are not magic. Twenty two extractors must be correctly tuned to hold onto an empty case during the slide’s fast heavily accelerated ride to the rear.

When all this is right, whether it be a tuned S&W extractor or a Volquartsen extractor, the gun is good to go.

LDBennett

LDBennett,

Yes, a Model 41 will be good to go with a tuned extractor, regardless of who manufactured the part. However, it is my understanding that the ones previously offered by Volquartsen were cut out of a tool steel plate using a Wire EDM. Parts made by this process are quite strong, can be held to extremely close tolerances and are very uniform from one to the other. Hopefully, this new run will be made in the same way.

The extractors from Smith & Wesson are probably mass produced by a stamping process. The base material is inferior and a lot of dimensional differences will be present among the parts made in a given run.

"...the Volquartsen extractors are not magic". True, and they may cost a bit more. However, they will be far more durable and will last much longer than any that come from Springfield, MA.

The link below came from Domino. Click on it and read what chief38 said in the very first posting there. I totally agree with him.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...el-41-psa.html

P.S. Thanks for the info, Domino!
Old 04-26-2020, 01:06 PM
Domino
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The volquartsen extractor is $12 and a S&W extractor from Brownells is $12.75 with the industry discount. The volquartsen is actually cheaper.

Last edited by Domino; 04-29-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:10 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It may be that the Volquartsen extractors are made of superior metals but.... They may still require modification to be tuned correctly. If your extractor is broken then it makes sense to replace it. But if it was never turned by the factory to fit correctly (highly possible) then modifying the claw and body to be right is worth the effort as you may still have to do that to the Volquartsen extractor.

I have great respect for Volquartsen after buying their 10-22 stuff and them trying to help me fix my errant (at the time) Texas High Standard pistol. If their extractor drops in and meets the tuning criteria I gave then you would be good to go. But chances are still there that your guns tolerances add up to a poorly fitting extractor. Then you may still have to tune the Volquartsen extractor. Attempting to modify the S&W one may be good practice if nothing else before you replace it with the Volquartsen extractor.

Anyway, just my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
Old 04-27-2020, 02:13 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Volqartesen Making Model 41 Extractors Again

For more information about the Model 41 Extractors made by Volquartsen, please click on the following: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016433722
Old 04-27-2020, 08:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
96% (18)
LD is correct even an extractor made from the best steel available if it’s not tuned right it will not function as good as a tuned one . I like volquartsen extractors I run them in every gun I can but I also tune them.Some I have got didn’t need tuned and some did every gun has different tolerance!
Old 04-29-2020, 08:10 AM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I found this over at the Smith & Wesson Forum:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...el-41-psa.html
Domino--thanks for the heads-up on the extractors. When viewing the M41 info in the S&W forum (I'm not a member over there currently) there was a statement made---

You may want to relieve the outboard side of the Volquartsen extractor so it can ride over the rim of the cartridge if a cartridge is in the chamber and the slide is lowered. This allows the M41 to be loaded single shot like a Hammerli X-esse.

As delivered the extractor does not have enough travel to ride over a cartridge rim.

Can someone HERE elaborate on that a bit? Not sure exactly WHERE to relieve if one actually desired to single-shot the M41. There is a lot of "outboard side" to the extractor...
Old 04-29-2020, 08:38 AM
fmfsrc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks! ordered a couple!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:22 AM
OIF2
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think some advice on this needs to be put out there...if your 41 is working well, leave it alone. I have an A-series 41 that I've put thousands upon thousands of rounds through, as a member of the USAR pistol team. It works perfectly. Why mess with it? Every year I have Dan Norwood at the Guard van at Camp Perry check it (and the extractor spring, also mucho important). So far, no issues, after 30+ years of competition. Having a couple of the Volquartsen extractors in your parts box ain't a bad idea, though.
Bob
Old 04-29-2020, 12:47 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF2 View Post
I think some advice on this needs to be put out there...if your 41 is working well, leave it alone. I have an A-series 41 that I've put thousands upon thousands of rounds through, as a member of the USAR pistol team. It works perfectly. Why mess with it? Every year I have Dan Norwood at the Guard van at Camp Perry check it (and the extractor spring, also mucho important). So far, no issues, after 30+ years of competition. Having a couple of the Volquartsen extractors in your parts box ain't a bad idea, though.
Bob
Feel the same, the factory extractor is working fine with no issues.

That said, I ordered 2 for the 'parts box'.

Wet
Old 04-29-2020, 01:17 PM
Ceapea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I ordered one for the 41 and my Victory...just in case. Then, I found a complete trigger upgrade kit for the MK III in the clearance section. Got that too.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
96% (18)
I agree that the older guns have better tuned extractors than the new guns do!