Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:44 PM
chillywig
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Getting a 22lr barrel all the way clean

If using a solvent like hopes#9 and kroil will a barrel ever come 100% clean. By that I mean will I ever quit dragging dirty patches out. Using a tipton rifle 22 brush pushing thru a drilled receiver for 3 or 4 passes. Then a Soaked patch with hopes#9 and or kroil has continued to show fouling for many many rinse and repeat cycles (maybe 50 times over the weekend) and I am still getting some fouling out. Will it ever end or am I just wasting time?
Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Hi chillywig; I don't know if you have a borescope to check and see if there is an obvious problem with lead or carbon in the barrel, but worth a look. The following link is from a guy who knows rimfire and how to clean them. Luckily, it's a PDF and can be downloaded for future use. Even with my borescope, I'm getting real happy with just barely a very very light shade of gray pulling a few dry patches (aka gunner tools pull-through) after making absolutely sure all the solvent is out. Using the scope, I just want to make sure there aren't any lead "spots" (or carbon) in the barrel / chamber - and no buildup in the edges of the grooves, or grooves full of lead. I have learned after checking the entire barrel, I pay close attention to the leade area just past the chamber to make sure the grooves all end where they should in respect to the chamber. Also I take a much closer look at the crown area.....and two or three inches down, at least. Of course, problems could be anywhere in the barrel. I guess I have found these two to be the "usual suspects". Oh yea...... here is the link....... Have fun!

http://www.ssvtexel.nl/index.cfm?act...F5CF897974784F

PS: Forgot to give you the link to Gunner tools. I really like the patch pull-thru..!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=504746

Last edited by ammohog; 01-20-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Indian secrete.
Tooth paste on a cleaning rod on a drill will sparkle one up.
Push some water on a few patches then one with light oil. Then a dry one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 09:33 AM
chillywig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ironically I had seen the barrel cleaning doc and it was what has convinced me to spend some time cleaning a 22 rifle I want to shoot accurately. I just ordered this bore scope yesterday as I am curious about whats going on. Also have some JB bore paste in bound - maybe that's just toothpaste in a jar?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone else tried this borescope?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:45 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Sure have. It works, and it has better image quality than the Lyman unit that has been on sale for a couple of years. There have been several threads on RFC about it.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1174213

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1173379

Mine works well on a Windoze 10 laptop. I have not yet gotten to work with an Android phone . . .
Old 01-27-2020, 06:55 PM
chillywig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got the bore scope and it worked with my note 9. App sometimes freezes or crashes but it does work. There was still a little bit of lead in areas just past the chamber. Ended up doing some more shooting before trying to clean it some more so I may never know if a barrel will come all the way clean...
Old 01-27-2020, 07:16 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Shilen's take on clean.... while they deal with Centerfire more than Rimfire this below is geared that way.. but still relevant.

How clean is clean?
We get this question many times and have a great deal of difficulty helping some customers understand that a rifle barrel does not have to be spotless to shoot great. Many times more harm than good is done in trying to get it that way. Picture a car's fender. If the fender has a small dent in it, then professional application of body putty fills the dent. When painted over, the dent becomes unnoticeable, and the surface of the fender is smooth and consistent. The same thing happens in a rifle barrel on a microscopic level. Removing this small trace of copper puts you right back to square one. The next bullet that crosses that area will, again, leave a small trace of copper. Similar to patching a pothole. All successful benchrest shooters shoot one or more "fouler" shots down the barrel before going to the record target. This is not to warm up the barrel. They are resurfacing it on the inside. Benchrest shooters clean between relays to get the powder fowling out, not the copper. However, since copper usually comes out with the powder, they know that it must be replaced to get "back in the groove". I've had shooters tell me they "cleaned their rifle for 3 hours to get all the copper out of it." Their next statement is almost invariably that they had to shoot 4-5 rounds through it just to get it back to "shooting" again. This tells me that in order for the rifle to shoot well again, they had to replace the copper they worked so diligently to remove. I have a 7x08 Improved that shoots the same 1/2" MOA after 15 minutes of cleaning or 3 hours of scrubbing and de-coppering. Personally, I prefer shooting to cleaning. The gist of this is to set a regular cleaning regimen and stay with it. If the accuracy of the rifle is acceptable with a 15 min. cleaning, why clean longer? I would much rather have people admiring the groups I shot than marveling at how clean my barrel looks on the inside.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:45 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
i had one that built up a carbon ring over 10 years. I used hoppes and kroil and did get it to come clean. i think i spent 4 hours on it or so. i never even dry patched it.....just kept it soaking and scrubbing. 10k rounds over 10 years, typical cleaning was about every 300-400 rounds wtih gunscrubber soaked patches mostly. didnt brush it much, the gunscrubber patches came out super clean. as well as patches of otherstuff i had tried. the rest of the barrel was fine except the throat, and i didnt notice until it started throwing regular fliers. and it took 4 hours to get the ring out with hoppes/kroil and a 6mm brush. anyway, my take is that as long as its not throwing uncharacteristic fliers it is fine. this barrel started throwing more and more fliers. after cleaning it until the patches from the throat werent black it was back to sub 1/4" groups at 50.

what i have started doing since then, is using a patchworm at the range when the bore is still hot. a few ballistol soaked patches when its warm seems to go a long way at keeping the carbon ring down. make it much easier when i do have to scrub it cold at home, and takes far less time to get it clean. IMO, just keep the ring knocked down and as long as it is shooting well it doesnt have to be perfectly clean.

Last edited by Clem-E; 01-27-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:46 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillywig View Post
Ironically I also have some JB bore paste in bound - maybe that's just toothpaste in a jar?
Let us all know how that tastes.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=Chaser;11755515]Shilen's take on clean.... while they deal with Centerfire more than Rimfire this below is geared that way.. but still relevant.

Shilen supplies most of the barrels used by the top Rimfire Benchrest Competitors

http://www.proshootingleague.com/res...quipment-list/

If anyone is interested in trying out a Rimfire Benchrest Competition, the American Rimfire Association has added a New Factory Class.

Here are some details and a link to locate a Club near you:

https://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/supplies

https://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/club/listall
Old 01-28-2020, 09:39 AM
outbreaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillywig View Post
Ironically I had seen the barrel cleaning doc and it was what has convinced me to spend some time cleaning a 22 rifle I want to shoot accurately. I just ordered this bore scope yesterday as I am curious about whats going on. Also have some JB bore paste in bound - maybe that's just toothpaste in a jar?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone else tried this borescope?
I have it and it has answered so many questions with many rifles.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilerham View Post
Old Indian secrete.
Tooth paste on a cleaning rod on a drill will sparkle one up.
Push some water on a few patches then one with light oil. Then a dry one.
Just tried the brush / cleaning rod / drill experiment using a GM barrel that was really dirty, and the regular cleaning rod with chosen products didn't work. No matter how I cleaned the GM barrel, it still looked like hammered dog mess using the borescope. Loaded the brush up with Iosso and gave it about 3 minutes full length using slow speed with drill. Cleaned it out and borescoped it. All I have to say is "Wow!". It removed more junk out of the barrel than you can possibly imagine. Can't wait to get it to the range and see how it shoots. Yes I borescoped it before and after.... Jury is out until I shoot it, but I really don't see how or why it would hurt your barrel using slow speed. It even removed some of those pesky "spots" on the lands and grooves. Sure beats using the regular cleaning rod for a few days. Will add a PS after shooting..... when the weather permits. Let the bashing begin!

Last edited by ammohog; 02-10-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:23 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Birchwood Casey Lead Remover Cloth. It works. It will also clean carbon deposits off the SS revolver cylinders.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Birc...th/1611128.uts
Old 02-10-2020, 08:58 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Chaser got it right. I've had that same conversation with other barrel makers over the years and with some top shooters also. I don't understand the obsession with cleaning when you don't even know if it's affecting your groups.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
Chaser got it right. I've had that same conversation with other barrel makers over the years and with some top shooters also. I don't understand the obsession with cleaning when you don't even know if it's affecting your groups.

Not specifically the .22lr world but a Friend
Sniper and Navyseal told me they do not clean the bore. A seasoned barrel is more predictable.
He said and I quote a built well and right fitted gun shoots the bullet accurately. Not the cleanliness of your pipe. They have long match barrel. Again back to quality parts and build.
Iíve only cleaned one .22 barrel and itís because it has corrosion in it.
Now dry patching every once in a while is fine to push the dirt and powder residue out of one to prevent corrosion.