Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 PM
JimClark
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Making wood grips

I want to make a set of wood grips for my MK IV 22/45. Obviously I have my original set to use as the template but what changes would be good to incorporate in my new grips. I am only shooting at the range no hunting for me. Looking at some exotic woods possibly like zebrawood.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:41 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
6 weeks with no replies! I don't know if my experience will do you much good, especially this late, but FWIW see this thread.

You won't want to go nearly as far as I did - there was a reason for it - but IMO adding width in the right place helps a lot. Also a thumbrest. Maybe 2 thumbrests.

Things I found useful with working out the design: the foam insulation board was easy to shape and worked very well, just to experiment with the grip style. I cut thin plywood pieces to match the OEM grips and used them as bases for the foam. I had roofing nails with the shanks cut short as pins to stick in the screw holes in the frame and 2 more pointing out to stick into the foam before wrapping it with tape.

To shape the final wood grips, get the mounting holes drilled and shoulders at the right depth before you do anything else because you can't move them later. I cut the outlines with a bandsaw. Much of the shaping was done with a reciprocating saw held with the blade vertical like a file. A scrap of wood the width and shape of the grip frame and drilled for the mounting bolts is useful to hold the grips while you're shaping them.

Many people on RFC have made more grips than I have although I might have experimented with more shapes than some. Others have certainly made better-looking grips. Mine served their purpose well. They were supposed to be temporary but it's been 5 years. Good luck with yours.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:45 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I made some grips for my Ruger SAP out of walnut. It is from a board I have had for at least thirty years. Very dry, and very hard. I sanded down with 400 and 600 grit, a coat or 3 of shellac and some Renaissance wax, a re-coat from time to time is my finish.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Mine are real simple. Rudimentary finger slots, no thumb rests, but they feel very good for my plinking activities.

I used much the same process as CP. The hobby board is great for copying the grip, identifying where the screw holes go etc. I had more problems with the cut outs on the reverse side of some grips I have been working on for my BM.

Good luck on yours.

VH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 04:57 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice grain

Good job- nice grain and figure. Enjoy.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
These are not for the same gun, but may give you an idea how to hold your panels for shaping. These are a few of the ones I have made for the Single Six, and Blackhawks.

Here is a few pics of the jig that I made.

I use double sided tape to hold the panel on the jig.

The cuts on the back keep it from moving when it is held in place over the base, which is clamped to the table

Before I do any tracing I make the top front angle cut, then mark and drill for the front bottom pin. I then place both grips on, and drill the thru hole.
I put one side on, and use the frame for tracing, then remove, and do the opposite side. I then cut on the band saw, leaving about 1/16th heavy. I then use a 1" drum on the drill press to sneak up on the line, putting the panel back on to check fit often.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:59 PM
6PtStar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I made a set or my Crosman Air pistol. If you are just using it at the range you might consider a thumb rest.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 PM
JimClark
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the info for the past few days gave me great ideas
Old 06-21-2018, 02:45 PM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
Obviously I have my original set to use as the template but what changes would be good to incorporate in my new grips.
A relief on the left grip panel to allow easier use of the the mag release button, without changing your hold, might be helpful (depending on your hands).