Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:45 PM
KSFlatlander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If you buy a pack of 1/4" graph paper and a sharpie, you have the essential Appleseed target. Just darken a 4X4 grid, 5 of those on each sheet, gives you a 1" square. Post that at 25 yards and you have a 4 moa target. With irons use a 6'oclock hold, and scope use center. Total cost ~$5.00.

Condolences on you loss.

A 10/22 with sling is a great Appleseed rifle. 1/2 the guns on the line will be the same. The stock sights aren't the best, but are perfectly serviceable.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Thanks for the info. I am still torn between using a 10/22 and a CZ bolt. I need to pull a 452 out of a Klinsky stock that I have and put it back into it's original stock and try it a bit. Took another 452 out today, but it was a varmint and I think the barrel is a bit too heavy for me right now.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:03 PM
MiamiDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
I am still torn between using a 10/22 and a CZ bolt.
My opinion, if getting your Rifleman patch at your first Appleseed is a priority, I would go with the 10-22 and a 4-8X scope with adjustable objective. If you have young eyes the scope is not as important. On your first run at it there is a lot to learn and implement. Having to work a bolt fast enough in the timed stages is a challenge. You will have a number of challenges you cannot eliminate and I would skip this one for now. I got my patch at my first shoot with a 10-22 and scope, and look forward to going after another one with a bolt gun and irons. For me it was get the first patch with the equipment that gave me the best chance at success. Dave
Old 05-07-2016, 11:15 PM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Good advice from Miami Dave.

I earned Rifleman scores using a CZ 455 Trainer and a 452 Ultralux, then tried using a 10/22 with Tech Sights. The 10/22 is gobs easier in the rapids (obviously) and I am able to shoot consistently higher AQT scores with it, despite being more accurate with the bolt guns.

A 10/22 with a nice, low-powered scope could be just the ticket for you. Of course, you should use your 452 also. Just gonna have to keep signing up for more Appleseeds!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Kennebago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would you rather have your equipment help you with speed, or with precision?

Bone stock, a CZ is going to print better groups than a 10/22. You will be supplying all of the speed as a tradeoff. It is well within the average shooter's ability to run a bolt action aggressively enough to make Rifleman, IF they understand what that entails. CZs can post outstanding scores in prone, and I prefer my 452 over my 10/22 for this reason, but it is demanding.

A 10/22 is going to alleviate time pressure, but will generally give you larger groups (but still plenty good enough to make score).

A semiauto is probably a better choice for most people starting out because it makes the AQT more straightforward.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I just noticed my old Ruger 10/22 doesn't have sling studs. Haven't handled the thing for over a decade and kind of forgot about it. Guess it is probably late 70s early 80s vintage. Guess I will have to screw in some sling studs.
I have a really nice Ruger 10/17m2 that would be cool to use. Don't have enough ammo at the moment though.
I have been plinking with the old 10/22 and it has been promising. It has an OLD Weaver 3x9 on it, but the glass is getting a bit cloudy. It would be a great scope though if it wasn't cloudy. Guess I will look around for another scope that I can pull off a rifle. Think I may have a Tasco 3x15 power on a .223 that I can remove and use. Would just try to utilize it on lower power.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 PM
COpatriot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My condolences.

I just did my first Appleseed with my 10/22 that's set up for bench shooting. Accuracy was most definitely not a problem but speed was. Untimed I scored a 213 on my first AQT, but timed I could only manage a 176. I lost so many points by not being able to transition to the sitting and fire enough rounds.

IMHO, I think you should go with the 10/22 with a sling. Be ready to learn and believe in the teachings, they work. Have fun! I'm going again in October and I can't wait.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Skeeve

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
I have a really nice Ruger 10/17m2 that would be cool to use. Don't have enough ammo at the moment though.
Swap your barrels from the 22 to the 17HM2 and you're G2G...
Old 05-10-2016, 04:59 AM
Hank Ellis
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Focus less on the hardware and more on the software. If your rifle can shoot 1" groups at 25yd (4moa) then it's good enough for Appleseed. Run what you are most comfortable with.

Show up with a clean slate and be prepared to soak in a lot of information. Listen to the nuances of the positions. Learn what a NPOA is and see what happens when you get one. And see what happens when you don't.

Take what you learn and practice it. A lot. From there you can tweak the hardware as the need arises.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeve View Post
Swap your barrels from the 22 to the 17HM2 and you're G2G...
Not sure if it would work. The m2 has the heavy bolt and .22 LR probably wouldn't even cycle it unless I used Hyper Velocity rounds. Just a guess though. But, it is a BIG weighted bolt knob on it.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:23 PM
mac66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems like you have lots of time to prepare.

Since you already have a 10/22, the most popular Appleseed rifle, just mount a sling on it as previously advised. If your scope still works go with it. If not a cheap replacement will work. Don't really don't need anything over 4x. The fixed 4x Simmons 22 mag scopes are popular as are the Walmart Clearview variables, even the Bushnell Sportview will work. As long as it is properly mounted (screws tight and Loc tighted) and sighted in, just about any scope will work.

In regards to properly mounting, you will find that mounting the scope as far forward as you can get it works best. You will also find that mounting as low as possible (lowest scope rings) also helps with the kind of shooting Appleseed does.

And if you don't already, add a couple additional mags. One extra is fine, two is better.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Seems like you have lots of time to prepare.

Since you already have a 10/22, the most popular Appleseed rifle, just mount a sling on it as previously advised. If your scope still works go with it. If not a cheap replacement will work. Don't really don't need anything over 4x. The fixed 4x Simmons 22 mag scopes are popular as are the Walmart Clearview variables, even the Bushnell Sportview will work. As long as it is properly mounted (screws tight and Loc tighted) and sighted in, just about any scope will work.

In regards to properly mounting, you will find that mounting the scope as far forward as you can get it works best. You will also find that mounting as low as possible (lowest scope rings) also helps with the kind of shooting Appleseed does.

And if you don't already, add a couple additional mags. One extra is fine, two is better.
Yeah, I think I have a low powered scope I can pull off something else that I don't use and throw on my 10/22. I also have a Klinsky stock for a CZ-452 that I can sell or trade to get a scope. Someone was selling extra 10/22 mags on here not too long ago and I picked up 4 extra ones. Have a black synthetic type sling around here too. I should be able to throw something decent together I bet.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 AM
COpatriot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make sure the sling is a USGI type. They sell them on the Appleseed website and they are not your average sling. The correct sling is absolutely paramount!

You'll probably hear the phrase there, but like Fred says "There's two types of people, those that have USGI slings and those that will."